Dog Diagram With Bandaging Techniques

I really wish I could find something that shows a greyhound outline and recommended techniques and supplies for patching up any place. I have a big klutz now who constantly hurts himself.

Right now he's got an ugly gash part way between his hock and hip. The sock with the toe cut out with vet wrap should stay on tonight but have no idea how to keep it covered tomorrow when he can move around.

Crating won't work and a muzzle get won't stop him (maybe if I had a poop guard but if I had one, can he drink if it's on all day?).

Dave (GLS DeviousDavid) - 6/27/18
Gracie (AMF Saying Grace) - 10/21/12
Bella (KT Britta) - 4/29/05 to 2/13/20

Good question regarding stool guard: I would not leave a stool guard on any non-supervised hound for any length of time. Dogs hang their head down to drink water or vomit; fluids including vomit can't drain out fast enough, which can suffocate/drown a dog.

Hopefully others will chime in re: veterinary bandaging techniques.

Toddler pants. Cut a hole for his tail. If you need a bandaging to stay on you'll need something sticky like Elasticon tape.

If you don't have a stool guard you can improvise one with duct tape over the front of his muzzle. That way you have control over where to place any cracks you feel are necessary for him. FWIW, mine all have stool guards on muzzles that they wear every time they are outside, even if it's only one of them. They can drink just fine, though it is a bit messy and dribble-y. One of mine can even pick up balls and eat grass with hers on! :rolleyes:

The one time I had a vomiting "incident" it all just ran out and made even more of a mess as she shook her head so I don't really worry too much about that issue. :puke

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

BITE NOT COLLAR to the rescue. once you purchase one he will never have another gash. trust me, it worked for felix.

i would make something temporary using a towel, duct take and corrugated cardboard so he can't turn his head. it needs to go from the top of his shoulders to right under his chin. irrigate the wound(saline solution using gray french sea salt is excellent) apply once w/ triple antibiotic ointment and leave it alone. if it really bothers him then off to your trusty vet. pictures please, how deep is the gash? or is it just a rip?

can you meet me in white plains? i can lend you mine or help you will corrugated cardboard, i have a roll for my sculptures. i will need the real collar back. if i don't have it in the dog supply area then felix WILL do something to himself!! i'll send you my #

Edited by cleptogrey

Thanks :) I can keep the tongue off now that I focused on it, it's keeping the spot covered so that it can heal that's the problem. Will try a pair of toddler pants tonight - I have lots around the house but mostly too small for this giant lunk. The yellow spot here indicates approximate location. It's not quite quarter-sized, so not huge, but big enough that it should have some ointment and a bandage.

gallery_22136_3559_6618.jpg

If licking or nibbling at the bandage becomes a problem try Bitter Yuck spray. Works much better than Bitter Apple and was suggested by my vet for Mazy's leg wound.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Toddler pants. Cut a hole for his tail.

I don't mean to hijack this thread but I tried toddler pants once and for the life of me couldn't get them to stay on more than five minutes (they kept sliding off one way or another even with a fitted elastic waist). What's your secret? I was contemplating doggie suspenders which would certainly add to the ridiculousness of the monster pants! :)

Hah hah hah - love the visual!

Many toddler pants have non-working drawstrings. Luckily I have a few pairs with working drawstrings! Otherwise, I'd say find a pair with belt loops and use string/ribbon?

Your vet should have something called Elasticon. It's a tape. You put the gauze and vet wrap on. Then just on top, maybe an inch, or half inch depending on how big a baby he is with taking tape off, use the tape. It's strong enough to keep the vet wrap on.

Or you can try papertape, found in any pharmacy. Very light on the sticky (so make come off anyway) so easy on the fur.

I don't mean to hijack this thread but I tried toddler pants once and for the life of me couldn't get them to stay on more than five minutes (they kept sliding off one way or another even with a fitted elastic waist). What's your secret? I was contemplating doggie suspenders which would certainly add to the ridiculousness of the monster pants! :)

Maybe it's an individual thing?? :dunno I've not had a problem with them falling off, though I've only used them a couple times for just a day or two. The ones I use had a slit in the front (for boys), so I just turned them around and stuck the tail out there. They did have a working drawstring too.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Assuming it's a surface scrape and you're sure a vet doesn't need to clean, stitch or care for the gash to avoid infection, perhaps modifying this figure 8 technique could work:

While keeping the wound dry, if needed, Bitter Yuck could be misted very lightly on the outside of the vet wrap bandage.

Watch closely for infection heat or swelling.

Too wide to stictch, not major, he just scraped to top layer of fur and skin off and then licked it for a few hours.

Glad Press and Seal Clingwrap over the bandage worked when Iker had a wound.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.