Preventic Collar Experience

Hi everyone, I thought I would share my experience with you using the Preventic collar. I know many of you have used them successfully so I bought one for my 9 year old boy who is currently being treated for Lyme disease. He has been wearing it for about 2 weeks now and last night I was disappointed to find a fully engorged live tick on his side, just behind his front leg. I called the company, she told me if you have a heavy infestation, which we do in the fall, sometimes the collar can't keep up with the population. (Not sure how the population affects whether it works or not, but O.K.?). She said it has a money back guarantee so I can Return it to my place of purchase (Amazon) for a refund. Guess I will return it and try the Seresto collar. Just thought I'd share this info.

What the rep told you doesn't really make sense, but it doesn't surprise me that you found a tick either. I think any tick repellent can only be so effective, and it wouldn't surprise me if ticks are becoming resistant to the chemicals we use to deter or kill them. It seems to happen with all insects over time.

If your boy is running around your yard, I would use the Adams tick spray that you hook to the garden hose and spray the yard and shrubs. If you are picking them up on walks, then the only course of action is diligent searching when you get back.

If you don't have one, pick up a Tick Key. They make tick removal really easy.

Hope your boy is better soon!

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Seresto doesn't repel ticks, so if your ticks are so bad the preventic isn't working, I would NOT switch to one with no repelling properties at all.

Seresto advertises that it both kills and repels ticks. We have a heavy tick load where I live and I haven't found a single one on any of the dogs in the last 2 years using Seresto Collars.

You might consider getting a prescription for Bravecto or Nexgard. We've been using Bravecto for several years and it has worked really well for us. We check our dogs for ticks when they come in, but if we miss one (which is easy to do) Bravecto kills it before it has a chance to transmit any disease. Just be sure to give Bravecto with a full meal to avoid GI upset.

I live in rural Eastern Ontario aka Tick Haven.

Our daily walks are along a heavily wooded gravel road and/or hay fields.

This was our 3rd summer on the Preventic collars and I found they worked really well.

I do go over my dogs after every walk with a lint roller.I occasionally found still-crawling ticks.

And yes.. the other day I found an embedded one on Ruby's head. I said 'That's life' then pulled it off and threw it out.

Non of these products have a 100% guarantee...

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Thanks for sharing your experience. I just found engorged ticks on both of my dogs after a camping trip, despite having Frontlined them so I'll be looking for a new product next year. I think I'm going to try the Seresto collars. Newer is probably better since the bugs seem to be developing resistance to various products that have been around for a bit.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

I've been using Prevent it collars for the last 2 years. I'd never in the 30+ years of living in Los Angeles until last year. I nearly barfed. The Preventic collars have worked beautifully for us with no complications - even for my 13+ year Doodle Bug.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Preventic colllars have worked great for us for many years. I do replace them as directed and don't expect 1 collar to last the entire tick season. They even work very well on K9 Reba who often does wilderness searches in heavily forrested areas-in fact she got hit in the head with a machete last summer on one search. Nothing is 100% but we are very happy with the level of protection Preventic provides AND their safety-which is equally important to us.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I just found engorged ticks on both of my dogs after a camping trip, despite having Frontlined them so I'll be looking for a new product next year. I think I'm going to try the Seresto collars. Newer is probably better since the bugs seem to be developing resistance to various products that have been around for a bit.

I also decided to go with Seresto. I don't like the oiliness nor the odor of the ones applied between the shoulder blades. Hope it keeps those ticks away!! I HATE ticks! My last grey died from multiple organ failure and bone marrow failure from Ehrlichiosis so they really freak me out!