Gentler Muzzle Reccs?

We love our new boy, Sully! He's a good boy, and has withstood 3 1/2 hours alone with no major incidents uncrated, with baby gates and a muzzle on. He licks the stuff out of his Kong then appears to nap in the office upstairs.

He has a small scab on the top middle of his muzzle, from muzzle rub. He had this back in the original adoption picture. It heals, but it opens up when he is muzzled again the next day. We have to muzzle him when we go out at present, he is freaking Curious George and everything to him is a chew toy.

Nobody told him at 5 he isn't a puppy anymore! He is also a jumper and counter surfer So

To dog proof enough to not worry about him hurting himself, we would have to empty an entire room.

I'm sure this isn't forever, he's new to home life and will hopefully be able to be left without the muzzle once

He stops generalizing from his toys and bones to everything that's not his.

He bats things around with the muzzle on, so even with moleskin or gauze or a combination of both, there are still a few dots of blood on the muzzle and that dang scab is off when we get home.

It doesn't seem to bother him but I want it to heal.

Any recommendations on muzzles to order online that might cause less friction on him would be welcome .

You can look for an "Australian" muzzle, which is just wire, but I think most muzzles rely on using the dog's nose somehow to stay on. I'm also unclear of one of those would provide the protection you need for your house.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Sticky backed foam can be found at walmart in the craft section and at craft stores like Micheal's. It can be cut to size, too. I wouldn't use it as a permanent fix, but in a pinch it should do :)

Beware of dog? Forget the dog - BEWARE OF CAT! No wait. The budgie is a killer, too.

35618219502_5f27c04249_s.jpgAaerro by Vampiric Conure, on Flickr

Rainbow Bridge - Aaerro march 2018

You could try the European style muzzle, it is shaped a little differently and the plastic is thinner. I ordered mine from someone in Canada, but having trouble remembering the website. For now you can view some options here: http://www.muzzlesforgreyhounds.com/index.html

Forever in my heart: my girl Raspberry & my boys Quiet Man, Murphy, Ducky, Wylie & Theo
www.greyhoundadventures.org & www.greyhoundamberalert.org & www.duckypaws.com

Try lining the inside of the muzzle with a piece of the padded moleskin made for putting inside the heel of a shoe. In the US it's often Dr. Scholl's brand, sold in drugstores like Walgreens.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Raising the muzzle off the nose is what we have had to do. Moleskin helps but still rubs against the scab if it is just a single layer. We bought muzzles from Facebook that have a thicker leather padding on them that wraps the edge of the muzzle and raises the muzzle just slightly. Using some kind of thin foam and moleskin combination would probably work the same.

Why not use an x-pen or gate him into a dog-proofed room? Also, more exercise and mental stimulation before leaving him and throughout the day will decrease the likelihood of him getting into tgmhings when you're gone. If he's not tired, he'll get bored.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Why not use an x-pen or gate him into a dog-proofed room? Also, more exercise and mental stimulation before leaving him and throughout the day will decrease the likelihood of him getting into tgmhings when you're gone. If he's not tired, he'll get bored.

Agreed 100%

Some Greyhounds need a lot more exercise than others. My dogs' behavior is always much better when their bodies are exhausted and their minds are stimulated and worked hard.

If you went the gating off/x-pen route rather than muzzle, you could perhaps leave some actual chew toys or stuffed kongs for him to occupy himself with. That might actually get at the root of the problem more, too. When my boy Cole first came home he went through a phase of grabbing everything he could find but he didn't chew it, just brought it to his bed. I found everything from shoes, socks/laundry, to even the bathroom rug collected on his bed :lol He still collects shoes but everything else is left alone now.

You could try the European style muzzle, it is shaped a little differently and the plastic is thinner. I ordered mine from someone in Canada, but having trouble remembering the website. For now you can view some options here: http://www.muzzlesforgreyhounds.com/index.html

Jenn, the Canada website you are thinking of is http://www.campgreyhound.ca/apps/webstore/products/show/1032726 to get a European muzzle. They are definitely a little gentler on them.

Cathy & Calvin (DOB 9/18/13). Always missing my angel Robin (Abdo Bullard).

Thank you all! My husband got crafty with foam weatherstripping tape and the bridge of dog's nose is healing nicely. He is making good progress, and in a month or so we might start short forays with no muzzle and see if all hell breaks loose. ;-)

( He meaning dog, not husband. Husband had had run of house when I'm not home for 8 years with few problems, lol)

( He meaning dog, not husband. Husband had had run of house when I'm not home for 8 years with few problems, lol)

That you know of, anyhow.....

You may find that it's fine, although one of ours is always muzzled when left. He's top dog so left alone by everyone else, but has an unfortunate habit of chewing TV remotes. After worrying about batteries, we decided just to muzzle and get on with it. Wire Australian muzzle which comes off if he really wants it to.