Chase Acting Weird

So sorry, best of luck today. You definitely need a big group hug.(no emoji on my phone)

For sure.

:bighug

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

I haven't posted but have been keeping up :( I so hate to say it, but Chase reminds me VERY much of what we went through with Rainey -- and her brain tumor :( in her case, she had seizures (which thankfully Chase doesn't seem to have!) but otherwise the same weird stuff going on. We thought it might be the meds too but finally admitted it was what was going wrong in her sweet brain causing all the things.

like Chase, it was just "weird" stuff -- going out and sniffing every single thing like she'd never seen it before, wandering around, bumping in to things, walking aimlessly -- same kind of just "weird" "you know it's not right" things.

perhaps (and I hate to suggest another med!) but some have had some luck with meds that help such Alzheimer's (sp) type of issues?

sending tons of hugs. This might sound bad but losing Nube to osteo was not as hard as Rainey to her brain issues. At least with Nube we knew what we were dealing with and what to expect. :grouphug

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

just hoping for a good update :( sending more prayers to Chase and you.

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

We took Chase to the vet this morning and of course he was acting totally normal while he was there. He was just there two weeks ago for blood work to check how he is handling the heart and thyroid meds so vet's seen him recently and she thought he was doing really well today. She said the things I described could be neurological but she was loathe to put him on any more medications given how many he is already on.

All that said, today was about a 90% normal day for Chase. He had a good breakfast and we went to the vet and ran some errands. He stayed in the car with DH with the AC on while I ran into Costco. Back home he had lunch and then meds and a long nap. Then dinner and some more meds. He had a restless period for an hour or so after that but overall a pretty normal day, thank goodness.

Our biggest concern is getting weight back on him. He's been super picky about what he'll eat since this started. We'll give him anything he wants but it's hit or miss figuring out what that is as it changes all the time and sometimes he just doesn't want anything. He's down to 69# today and he should be 85#.

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

Glad he is better if still skinny :wub: .

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Try to video him during one of his spells for the vet to see. It's possible there's something about his behavior that isn't significant for you but will mean something to the vet if she can see it.

For his weight, you might see if he'll tolerate an entire extra meal--maybe something before bedtime.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

That's a lot of stuff and alone that could cause a reaction. You can check side effects of each drug, on line.

I had a dog that problems with the flagyl. It can cause dizziness, hallucinations, confusion and other symptoms that your boy seems to be experiencing. Maybe he shouldn't take all the meds at the same time. Ask your vet how you can separate them out.

I hope he feels better.

Just curious to know what problems your pup had and how they manifested? My vet was like how would you know if a dog is having hallucinations and other than maybe being afraid of things that aren't there, I wasn't sure how to answer her.

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus

Just curious to know what problems your pup had and how they manifested? My vet was like how would you know if a dog is having hallucinations and other than maybe being afraid of things that aren't there, I wasn't sure how to answer her.

She would stand at the corner with her face to wall. Or, she would walk along the wall, sniffing it as if looking for something very close to the wall. She would be bobbing her head up and down. She would back away when we approached her and basically wanted to be left alone. This was our first greyhound and was away ago. Sorry, that is all I can remember right now. I hope this helps. Some of it seems similar to your situation.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

She would stand at the corner with her face to wall. Or, she would walk along the wall, sniffing it as if looking for something very close to the wall. She would be bobbing her head up and down. She would back away when we approached her and basically wanted to be left alone. This was our first greyhound and was away ago. Sorry, that is all I can remember right now. I hope this helps. Some of it seems similar to your situation.

Thanks, it does sound similar. Chase was on flagyl for a few days and he seemed normal and his poop seemed normal so I quit giving it to him. Then a few days later I noticed he had the runs again so I started giving it again. He was on it for about a day when the weirdness started. I gave it to him for about 4 days and then stopped. Two days after stopping he was 80% normal. In the 3 days since that day he's been 100% or pretty close. I also stopped giving him lasix and endosorb at the same time and reduced his meds down to the bare minimum: 3 heart drugs, plus the diuretic, thyroid met and appetite stimulant. So I don't know if there's an actual cause and effect with quitting the flagyl but I couldn't find any weird reactions to lasix or endosorb. The other possibility is it was a weird neurological event that he's since bounced back from. Whatever it was, I hope it doesn't come back.

Metronidazole toxicity tends to look like stroke symptoms: falling down, head tilt, staggering, etc.

There's a video here: http://vetgirlontherun.com/metronidazole-toxicity-vetgirl-veterinary-ce-video-blog/

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Guest budsmom

It may also be connected to the crushing to administer. I don't remember now, other than my thyroid med, but some medications specifically say to take whole, don't crush. It affects absorption of them, which could be why his stomach seems to be so upset. You may want to see if there is another way to get some of the meds into him, could some be compounded as a liquid at a compounding pharmacy?

Chase has been back to his old self for the past 8 days. In addition, for about the past 5 days he's been hungry enough to take all his pills in ground beef wrapped in chicken. I don't know how long this will continue with the pills, but it's certainly making both of us a whole lot happier.

Glad to hear it!

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."