Newly Retired Grey Very Gimpy

We brought home Kirby (L Invisiblewoman) yesterday. He'd only arrived in NJ from Florida on Saturday and came with no known history of injuries. Last race was 3/5/16.

He seems body sore and limps around. At first I thought it was his right front shoulder but his hind legs seem a little weak. I'm definitely bringing him to the vet to do a fecal and a general checkup, but anything else I should think of? Have also of course asked my adoption group.

Thanks!

Dave (GLS DeviousDavid) - 6/27/18
Gracie (AMF Saying Grace) - 10/21/12
Bella (KT Britta) - 4/29/05 to 2/13/20

Thanks Dick. I didn't realize until this morning that he was on a hauler for about 24 hours from Friday am to Saturday am - didn't realize he was on for that long, and that could definitely make him sore and tired. This is only our second grey so just didn't even consider the length of time he would have been traveling :)

I hope everything is okay. I agree that being on hauler for that long would be hard on him. He has had a very busy weekend. He may just need a few days to rest and adjust to his new life.

Patty,

Mom to Jaxson 5/12/2017

Forever in my heart: Joey 11/01/2007 to 12/06/2018, Scout 11/19/2005 to 07/15/15 and Jack 01/03/2004 to 06/11/2011

Hope he is feeling better soon!!

gallery_4518_2903_10272.jpg
Donna and...Lucy and Chubb
Rascal H 10/1/91-5/22/04 My best friend and Bounty Boon 1/23/99-6/25/07 My boy with the biggest heart
Cody 7/28/99-8/1/13 My boy that always made me laugh and Dylan 5/12/04-12/29/2017 The sweetest boy ever

Miss Mollie 1/1/99-1/30/15 and Pixie :heart:heart-10/10/2017 Lincoln :heart-2/14/2021

Feeling silly about posting this now that I know about the length of time he was on the hauler :) Totally trust my group that they would tell me anything they knew about his history, I just didn't think about the length of time on the hauler :blush

Twenty four hours? Even going from Miami to Trenton it shows 18 hours and most haulers to my knowledge try to drive with the least number of stops as the dogs will sleep while the hauler is moving.

My only (probably stupid) advice don't fret and don't hover over or coddle him for a couple of days. Feed, walk, turn out or whatever you do and go about your daily business. It seems sometimes they can absorb better just watching where they have landed.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

wasn't he vetted by the group? do communicate with them and ask them if they think you should wait a week or so for a check up and if he needs some time. my group does an extensive tick panel, also when did he have his neuter/ dental, could be be the anesthesia wearing off? only your group will know....hopefully it's new mother syndrome, even though we know your NOT a new mother...it hits randomly,with out warning.

He last raced 3/5, was neutered/dental 3/7. Our group told me to just let him rest and relax a bit, take him to the vet in a couple of weeks for a well check and parasite recheck.

Pam, always good advice :)

i would recommend pet insurance immediately, and remember that it comes with a 14 day wait period... if you take him to the vet in those 14 days, they will not reimburse, and if it becomes a lifelong condition, they will never cover it...

i insured my pup from the day of adoption, knowing he likely had pannus, as it was very visible, and waited 14 days to bring him to the vet... that way, they have covered his pannus treatment, and will do so for life...

congrats!!! so excited to hear about Kirby... i've enjoyed all your Bella posts... it's time for her to show him the ropes... can't wait to see pics and hear how he's loving retirement....

Image removed, not within Signature Guidelines.

Thanks! He's doing much better today - was moving beautifully at our lunchtime walk.

Also, Omega 3 oils (capsule in his food if he'll hack it) for his first month with you does wonders on a racing body ;)

Saw your other post, he's a darling!

Edited by XTRAWLD

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015