A Post About The Biggest Issue My Greys Have Right Now

Crow is such a perfect cuddler, he will make you oversleep.

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Rain!..LOL My boy decided he has to RACE and spin in a circle instead of quickly peeing/pooping then coming inside. BTW he is not meant to be doing anything but a slow walk to help his toe heal.. ARGH!

He would bolt forward maybe a foot, then let me catch up, bolt forward then let me catch up. Never enough that it pulled the leash in my hand..LOL Then he'd spin every 10 feet or so. I guess trying to get the rain off. He has a raincoat on, but no hood. Trying to find a rainhood online, no luck as its like a 3-4 week wait. ARGH! Guess Im off to the store to find a raincoat I can butcher!

Phoebe is a pretty easy dog, but she will eat ANYTHING. That's also a nice thing about her....kind of a paradox. :lol

The biggest problem we have with her right now is that she loves to be covered up at night, and DH has created a real 'princess' out of her. She's got her very thick and cushy dog bed, in our bedroom; on top of that is her Care Bears fleece blanket, which is doubled up [actually, that blanket is TWO layers of fleece, tied together, so that makes FOUR layers of fleece]. Then DH puts down one end of a twin-size comforter, which has been folded to make two layers; stay with me, there's more.....on top of the two layers of comforter is her fleece "Jesus Loves Me" blanket [also made of two layers of fleece], which has been passed from Rascal, to Jack, to her, after DD made it in Vacation Bible School many years ago......then FINALLY, the little 'princess' can lie down, at which point her daddy covers her with the remaining half (doubled over, of course) of the comforter.

Our little "Belle's Sweet Pea" is truly the 'princess and the pea' by the time she's in bed for the night. On top of the dog bed, she has, basically, eight layers of blankets, plus the doubled-over comforter on top of her!

Phoebe (Belle's Sweetpea) adopted 9/2/13.

Jack (BTR Captain Jack) 9/28/05--11/2/12
Always missing Buddy, Ruby, and Rascal.

Hmmmmm....

The worst thing that has happened in the nearly 6 years since we brought Nixon home?

He nearly ripped off one of his hind toe nails doing zoomies.

And he barks when he sees one of the barn cats getting too close to the dog yard fence.

Ruby has de-gloved her ear. Healed up just fine.

But we have never, ever - in over four years - heard her bark.

On the other hand Nigel barks loudly if his breakfast and/or dinner are not on time.

And he pokes me if his blankie falls off in the middle of the night.

We've had a few large breed dogs over the past 30++ years .... Springer Spaniel, 3 Dobes, GSDx and a PointerX.

Greyhounds are by far the easiest, healthiest and most laid back dogs we've ever had :)

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Guest normaandburrell

I love the idea of this thread!

Iceman barks at everyone that comes to the door or passes by. Just now he almost flew down the front stairs when the UPS man rang the doorbell.

He scratches the wood floors running around like a crazy dog. He tears up the yard running around like a crazy dog.

He drools all over the floors and likes to carry his full food pan around in his mouth, so he drops kibble everywhere.

He eats anything, including small toys, and steals out all the trash cans in the house. Earlier today he managed to open the kitchen trash, even though it was latched.

If he needs to go out in the middle of the night, he pokes DH in the stomach with his nose until he wakes him up.

Twice a day he stands and stares at both of us until we pull his bed over to the couch and get on it with him and snuggle him.

If he needs anything else during the day, including treats and pets, he stands in front of me and stares at me until I figure out what it is.

He will beg to go for a walk, and the minute I am ready to walk him, he flops down on his bed and refuses to get up.

We love him too much!

Wonderful 14 year young hound awakens several times a night to reposition on dog bed. I awaken instantly to readjust jammies to ensure there's no pressure on hound's throat (medical condition).

Demands exact meal times; needs extra evening potty outings.

I'm more grateful than ever to be gifted this special time, and gladly jump to her service! :heart

Nearly 12 y.o. senior enjoys playing capture, shake and attack the 8' long runner rug (in the wall-to-wall carpeted living room). Rug must be smoothed out daily (without excessive hounds standing on rug to prevent straightening).

Another hound has real issues:

MUST climb onto our laps for intense snuggles and excessive face bathing kisses.

Grabs a mouthful of food, walks 10 feet away to drop it on carpet to eat.

Sometimes becomes insistent when ringing hounds' doorbell to go outside to potty now (not waiting 1 minute for humans' convenience).

Insists on burying face on human's chest for lovies first whenever having paws wiped off after outings.

Must offer humans (downstairs) gifts of bath mats (from upstairs).

Another hound had temper tantrums when younger pouncing the floor with both front legs demanding meals; neck/head snuggle humans attempting poop patrol, etc.

Greyhounds are the BEST dogs ever! :)

Last night someone had the dreaded nose whistle. I was pretty sure Macho Man wasn't asleep yet, so I shined a little light his way. Ahh, the look I got. Not at all happy. I said,

"Honey, you have a nose whistle."

"That's not me."

"Yes, I can hear it, it's you."

"No, it's not me. It's Myka."

"Are you sure?"

:hehe I couldn't stop laughing, Neither he nor Myka thought it was at all funny. :bgeorge

Camp Broodie with tuxedo Summer 12 and tuxedo Dio 6

Missing KC Kitty 2000-2016, Myka and part of my heart 2006-2020, and Saint YellBoy 2014-2020

Guest AimeeBee

George is generally pretty easy but lately the dark o'clock "gotta go like right now" wake-up calls are getting a little old. This would be remedied if he would just go outside and pee before bed -- but, as we all should know, going out in the cold dark winter night is absolutely beneath him and he's insulted that I even suggest it. It's even colder and just as dark at 4 in the morning, bud..

The snorting, grunting, slurp-fests that occur juuuuuuuuuuuuuust as I'm about to go to sleep.

He is shameless in his thieving of pillows from my bed and the draft stopper from the door. Which he then "fights", complete with stomping on them like an angry horse. I'm glad to have such a fearsome protector .

All the little things are nothing in the big scheme of things though -- he's the best dog I could ever wish for.

Edited by AimeeBee

• 2 weeks later...

I have to brag about Bella. We can leave food on our coffee table, leave the room, and she will not touch it (that didn't used to be the case, and an expensive plate of DH's cheese was involved). Really proud of her.

Dave (GLS DeviousDavid) - 6/27/18
Gracie (AMF Saying Grace) - 10/21/12
Bella (KT Britta) - 4/29/05 to 2/13/20

Toni can get her muzzle off in three seconds (really!~) and loves to eat dirt. Especially half mud a couple days after a heavy rain. At least her poops are solid.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

My Wendy has been my heart dog for 8 years now. She just turned 10 years old and still acts like the 2 year old she was when she chose DH and me to be her family. Aside from the typical Greyhound bumps and bruises and torn flesh :gh_run2 (only one of which required stitches), Wendy has not had any health issues, not even the tummy troubles many Greys seem to suffer. Her farts can peel the paint of the walls, though! Behaviorally, she's the easiest, most "normal" dog I've ever had. I've shared my home with many adopted shelter dogs over the years, both mixed breed and pure bred, and all have had their issues. This little girl came home on a Saturday and was housebroken by Sunday. She chewed on a remote control and a book the first day and never again (my bad since I left them within her reach). My only "complaint" about Wendy is that she does not like to take walks longer than a few minutes. She'll ask to go walkies, read all the p-mails, leave a few of her own, and it's right back home! I would have liked a walking companion, but I wouldn't trade my girl for any other. So, if you're thinking of adopting a Greyhound, please don't let the few "negatives" outweigh the many, many "positives". Greyhounds are the best breed for me!

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

I'm delighted that this thread is still going!

OK big issues right now are a bit of storm phobia. Sadly it's a bad year for it this year so the boys have been shaking away in their thunder shirts several times a week.

Wet grass. Paige dislikes getting her feet wet and insists on balancing on any piece of concrete she can find to avoid the wet grass. Unfortunately, this also means that she can't reach all the really interesting pee mail everyone else is sniffing. That, of course, is my fault.

Of the four I have adopted, one loved drinking my coffee (preferably Dunkin Donuts brand) when I wasn't looking, and my current little lady has a penchant for my white wine. Can never leave a glass unattended :). I was tempted to name her Chardonnay.

I have been lucky. All were/are the best hounds.

Perfect Princess Nutmeg often would sneak into the bathroom when I showered and steal the bathmat. I could never catch her in the act -- would pull back the shower curtain, curse, and stalk into the living room where said PPN would have added my bathmat to her bed and be lying on it, rolling her eyes at my tirade. Miss that girl.

Jeter is the only dog I've had who's been scared of thunder. He quietly removes himself to an inside hallway for the duration, then rejoins us when it's safe.

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter