Joy Ate A Wild Mushroom

Joy ate a wild mushroom in the yard this afternoon. I took her off to the vet where they induced vomiting and got the whole mushroom. She's fine tonight. She doesn't appear to have vomited from the time we got home until I got home from work. Nor was there any sign of diarrhea. The vet thought she would be fine since I got her there quickly (within about 30 minutes). She ate dinner like normal. I gave her a little less and added some Firm Up (a pumpkin supplement) to her supper as a preventative measure.

Does anyone have any experience with mushroom eating? If she were going to get sick, would it be quickly or maybe 12 or more hours later?

ETA: When I tried to grab Joy's collar to kick the mushroom away and then get her in the house, she snarked and growled at me. If she had bitten me and I went to the doctor, would they have to report a dog bite from my own dog?

Edited by brindlehound

Carol, missing Magic (1/5/01 - 4/15/15) but welcoming Fuzzy's Joy Behar (Joy) into my life on 5/31/15.

All I know is mushroom toxicity can be serious. Im glad you realized and got her care immediately. If anything seems off, do not hesitate to go back.

If you see a doctor for a dog bite and tell them what dog bit you, they are required to report it.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

It's an older article, but just resurfaced in my facebook groups: http://veterinarymedicine.dvm360.com/toxicology-brief-mushroom-poisoning-dogs?rel=canonical

Deanna with galgo Willow, greyhound Finn, and DH Brian
Remembering Marcus (11/16/93 - 11/16/05), Tyler (2/3/01 - 11/6/06), Frazzle (7/2/94 - 7/23/07), Carrie (5/8/96 - 2/24/09), Blitz (3/28/97 - 6/10/11), Symbra (12/30/02 - 7/16/13), Scarlett (10/10/02 - 08/31/13), Wren (5/25/01 - 5/19/14),  Rooster (3/7/07 - 8/28/18), Q (2008 - 8/31/19), and Momma Mia (2002 - 12/9/19).

If it were me and my own dog bit me, I'd tell the doctor it was a random dog that I didn't know. Doctors will and do accept that answer.

Jen is right, doctors are mandated to report all dog bites, even if it's your own dog that but you. The report includes the identity of the dog, its owner, where it happened, as much info as possible etc. I've had to make several reports in our clinic, always makes me sad as it has always (so far) been the human's bad choice that triggered the bite.

Glad you're all ok.

Edited by seeh2o

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

If it were me and my own dog bit me, I'd tell the doctor it was a random dog that I didn't know. Doctors will and do accept that answer.

Jen is right, doctors are mandated to report all dog bites, even if it's your own dog that but you. The report includes the identity of the dog, its owner, where it happened, as much info as possible etc. I've had to make several reports in our clinic, always makes me sad as it has always (so far) been the human's bad choice that triggered the bite.

Glad you're all ok.

Yeaaaaa-I would not do that. Without identy of the dog you are setting yourself as a rabies suspect. Just report the dog as yours and you will be contacted later to show proof of current rabies vaccine status.

Yeaaaaa-I would not do that. Without identy of the dog you are setting yourself as a rabies suspect. Just report the dog as yours and you will be contacted later to show proof of current rabies vaccine status.

Animal control here in LA doesn't require people to go through the series of rabies shots if the dog is unknown. Of the dog bites we've had to report at work, when the dog was unknown they never required the kids to go through the series of shots. I'd never report my dog.

Per the LA County Dept of Health website:

When a person has been exposed to a rabid animal what should be done?

The person should contact their physician and explain the situation. If the physician feels that the person is at risk of contracting rabies, he/she will begin anti-rabies treatments on the person.

The incidence of rabies in humans in Los Angeles and California in general is nil. In bats, that's a different story.

Edited by seeh2o

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Update, Joy is still doing well. She has a follow-up appointment on 10/17 for a blood test to check her liver and kidney values. She's eating like normal and acting normal. In fact, she was jumping on me and playing with me before she ate. Yesterday morning she almost caught a squirrel on 2 occasions. Apparently, she also nearly caught one yesterday afternoon too. The vet said she would most likely be OK because I got her there so quickly.

I just saw the post about The Rock's dog. That's sad. I feel fortunate to have seen Joy eat the mushroom and called the vet and took her in right away.

Edited by brindlehound

Carol, missing Magic (1/5/01 - 4/15/15) but welcoming Fuzzy's Joy Behar (Joy) into my life on 5/31/15.

I tried looking for pictures of poisonous mushrooms in the US but the search had poisonous and regular wild mushrooms jumbled with it. If anyone of a website, please post a link.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Update, Joy is still doing well. She has a follow-up appointment on 10/17 for a blood test to check her liver and kidney values. She's eating like normal and acting normal. In fact, she was jumping on me and playing with me before she ate. Yesterday morning she almost caught a squirrel on 2 occasions. Apparently, she also nearly caught one yesterday afternoon too. The vet said she would most likely be OK because I got her there so quickly.

I just saw the post about The Rock's dog. That's sad. I feel fortunate to have seen Joy eat the mushroom and called the vet and took her in right away.

Good news!

I tried looking for pictures of poisonous mushrooms in the US but the search had poisonous and regular wild mushrooms jumbled with it. If anyone of a website, please post a link.

http://americanmushrooms.com/toxicms.htm

seeh2o, thanks for the link. Some of those pictured look like what I find in my yard. The wet weather really has them popping up.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

I'm glad Joy is okay. I get rid of all mushrooms in our yard and typically the Fall is when they sprout however that depends on the type. Our Pug Angie has a voracious appetite for them so I err on removing all just in case albeit now that her vision is failing, she doesn't go after them any longer. Dandelions used to be her other favorite.

Edited by Charlies_Dad

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

I'm glad Joy is okay. I get rid of all mushrooms in our yard and typically the Fall is when they sprout however that depends on the type. Our Pug Angie has a voracious appetite for them so I err on removing all just in case albeit now that her vision is failing, she doesn't go after them any longer. Dandelions used to be her other favorite.

I've been getting rid of them too. I've forced her to wear her muzzle outside since Saturday to prevent it.

On a kind of unrelated note, Miss Joy caught a bird this morning. She didn't leap so it must have been on the ground and couldn't get airborne in time. I thought it was a squirrel but I saw feathers on her muzzle. I guess my little minx has some prey drive. The hot and humid weather must have suppressed her interest in chasing squirrels, birds, etc.