White Out Struggling To Stand

Guest WhiteOutsMom

Guest WhiteOutsMom

Hi all,

I haven't posted here in a while. Would really like some input. (FYI, taking her to the vet tomorrow at 11:30)

White Out is 10 years old, I've had her 8 years. She's a spunky, goofy girl with no health issues as of yet.

For the past 3 months or so, her appetite has decreased dramatically. I doctor up her food with warmed up canned food, canned green beans, canned pumpkin. Give her boiled chicken and rice when she really won't eat. The last 2 days, she won't eat anything. Not even treats.

Also, the last couple days she is struggling to stand and moving around my apartment much less. In the evenings she usually wanders around the house checking out what everyone's up to, seeing what I'm eating for dinner, lays on her bed, my bed, the rug, etc. Since Tuesday, she lays in one place. When I call her to go for a walk, she doesn't come. I have to go over to her, encourage her to go for a walk. She tries to get up 4, 5, 6 times and when she finally stands she cries. I hear her crying overnight when she tries to stand to change positions in bed. Once she's up, she generally seems okay but isn't acting completely herself. After a walk, we come inside and she no longer waits for her treat she just goes and lays down.

What do you guys think?

Arthritis? Osteo?

Thanks,

Ashley

Best thoughts for your pupper.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Keep us posted.

Unfortunately the three dogs I had that ended up with splenic tumors acted like that as well.

But to keep you upbeat, my 6 yr old was also acting the same way this past weekend. I was starting to panic when I realize she had a hematoma on her rib. I think a deer kicked her because I have pear trees in the back and the deer are now coming into the yard. She's actually feeling better now.

So maybe White Out just pulled a muscle in a bad place.

Guest DarkHorse

Crossing fingers here for you too. Araley did much the same and we had to let her go due to liver cancer. Vet initially thought it might be the spleen as her symptoms were similar, but the progression made it clear that it was her liver, so hopefully they check both!

Guest WhiteOutsMom

Hi all! So far, Dr. Wahl (sees lots of greys) gives White a generally clean bill of health. We have both an appetite stimulant and dermaxx with instructions on each based on the next 48 hours. She got a full physical exam with blood work that came out clean. We're going to watch her closely to see how she does this weekend.

Thanks all for the info & thoughts. I can't tell you the fear I was in today. We never know how long we have with our pups, hug them all tonight.

Ashley

Good news, Ashley ... hope WhiteOut is feeling better soon!

You've used Deramax before, right? take with food to avoid tummy upset, and if you need to (mine need it), cover it ENTIRELY with peanut butter for quick consumption.

Keep us informed of how she's feeling. And after her fall, a little light massage with a low temp heating pad may help her feel better tonight/tomorrow.

hugs!