And So It Begins

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad it went well. You may experience some GI upset and a bit of the blahs tomorrow--maybe just feed some bland food in the a.m. Give um a hug!

Certainly expecting some upset tummies.

He actually ate almost all his dinner. Pretty proud of him. I picked up my first radioactive poop too! :yikes

I may have done a stupid thing and I'm kicking myself quite hard. I swear I read the paperwork they gave me about meds, and this line was NOT on there when I read it, but it was after dinner of course. Says "glucosamine may decrease the effectiveness of doxorubicin" Stupid stupid me gave him his usual vitamins. So after reading that I gave him some slippery elm to slow absorption, although likely too late. I swear if that's why this doesn't work, I will never forgive myself, no matter how hard that might be to prove.

Otherwise he's being a total champ. He got his antibiotics, finally got some gaba into him which he actually was desperately starting to need nearly 24 hours since his last dose. I'll be staying home tomorrow to keep an eye on him since this is the most "severe" of all the chemo rounds.

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

You're a good mom and I can't imagine one dose will make a difference over the course of his treatment. Call his oncologist, I'm sure she'll help you feel better. And kiss that good boy for me. :wub:

Edited by PatricksMom

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

He's not thrilled about eating brekkie today, actually he never really is. So I mixed up some rice and broth and down it went. He also had some stale cheerios! Had to eat so I could get some antibiotics into him. It was a very uneventful night and he's sleeping now. Had a good bowel movement this morning, I'm incredibly happy it's not the runs.

I read that the shaved fur areas might not regrow so I'd like to get him on some Dermoscent after his chemo is done to try to stimulate the hair follicles. I've used this before on him and I know it works well on him. Not cheap but it's worth a shot. Otherwise I'll somehow have to even out the vertical patch they shaved on his side for the ultrasound!

Proudly owned by:

So it's been 48 hours and it's become noticable that he's weak in his hind end. Perhaps just weakening over all. Started noticing it around 5 pm yesterday. He slept all through the night and didn't move once, which isn't too unusual. He tried to jump up on my bed with me this morning though and barely had enough to clear the mattress.

Last night he ate his breakfast at 1030pm. I put it down by chance at bedtime on his bed and he went for it. So thankfully he nearly finished one of his actual meal of raw mix yesterday. He's been refusing his meals (which is not out of the ordinary in general for him), but he's still eating nearly everything else. Remember: hamburger, no fries.

The winner this morning was pasta, rice, chicken broth with a bit of molassas and beef liver sprinkles. Surprisingly he refused the satin balls. He also had half a bottle of Ensure, 2 licks of a mixed up egg and some stale cheerios. I own a vegetarian greyhound! I'm hardly out of food options, but I don't want him to have an upset stomach from the unusual types of food he's having without his regular meals in his system. I'm just thinking of high caloric foods in small amounts because it's the only chance I have to get him anything. He's also liking baby food (which I'm keeping in my back pocket when nothing else will work) and has yet to say no to anything I'M having. :)

I hope this is the worst of it, will he be on the upswing now since we're on day 2?

Proudly owned by:

That's right on course for the blahs. Did they send you home with any Cerenia? The Cerenia really helps their tummies feel better. Worse case -if his appetite continues to wax and wane your vet can call into the pharmacy a script for Ondansatron. That's good stuff-took it myself when I was sick and spent the day vomiting.

That's right on course for the blahs. Did they send you home with any Cerenia? The Cerenia really helps their tummies feel better. Worse case -if his appetite continues to wax and wane your vet can call into the pharmacy a script for Ondansatron. That's good stuff-took it myself when I was sick and spent the day vomiting.

Yes, I have Cerenia. But I don't think he's really blah is he? I think he's just weak. I guess I could try. Thought I should only use it if he's licking his lips lots or about to vomit. He's had pred, gaba and antibiotic all this morning so I don't want to overload his system. Should I try a Cerenia anyway? They said a full tablet but I'm inclined to half it. A full tablet knocked Ry on his keester years ago. Please let me know.

For what it's worth, when he is up, he's fine. He's just having lots of trouble getting his butt up off his bed. He had a bowel movement this morning that was a little mushy but that's expected of course. He's walking just fine though.

I also just ordered 24 lbs of "exotic" raw that he hasn't tried yet, so when I receive it next week that might help encourage him to eat. How does Turkey/Bison/Wild Boar sound, or Pheasant/Elk or Turkey/Salmon/Lamb hey there Kasey? Huh HUH?!?!?! Spoiled rotten that one.....

Edited by XTRAWLD

Proudly owned by:

I would use the cerenia. Which dose did they dispense? There's a nausea dose and a motion sickness dose.

Uhm.....says it treats both. 60mg maropitant citrate (for the symptomatic treatment of acute vomiting and the prevention of vomiting associated with motion sickness). (He weighs 60 lbs so a full tablet?) Although it does say a little further below should be given 2 hrs prior to a car ride, and dog should be fed one hour before administration. He just had a half jar of baby food LOL

Edited by XTRAWLD

Proudly owned by:

The same medication will treat both conditions it's the strength that changes. A dog that weighs between 55-66lbs only takes 60mgs for acute vomiting where a dog weighing about the same would take 240mgs for motion sickness. I would give your boy 60-120mgs.

Edited to add--is he taking tummy protectants because of the pred?

Edited by tbhounds

The same medication will treat both conditions it's the strength that changes. A dog that weighs between 55-66lbs only takes 60mgs for acute vomiting where a dog weighing about the same would take 240mgs for motion sickness. I would give your boy 60-120mgs.

Edited to add--is he taking tummy protectants because of the pred?

He gets pepcid and slippery elm as needed - not necessarily because of the pred, but of course it's a part of it. He's got acid reflux.

Proudly owned by:

I can't remember, but I think our oncologist had Murphy on Tums to help with the predisone stomach issues--it might be something to ask about.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Other observations I just wanted to make about the tumour itself.

I don't know how fast chemo works, but yesterday morning (24 hours post chemo) the little bump on top of the tumour (that developed as a result of the biopsy) actually began to smooth out (sides began flattening). We just went for a walk and I noticed the whole tumour (so it's now 55 hours) is angry and dark, like it's being traumatized. Very much like when he had the biopsy done, the whole area was very dark and angry looking. I dunno if it's just me, but to notice a physical change in the actual tumor, am I crazy? I'll try to get a pic of it next time he's standing. Almost dinner time, so I'll give a feeding report soon. :D

Proudly owned by:

I don't have any advice, but just wanted you to know that we are thinking of you and Kasey.

When Karma was sick and didn't want to eat or chew I made her some bone broth. I found that liquids were more enticing when she didn't want to chew food. Bone broth contains a lot of minerals and nutrients so it can add in a little extra nutrition when a dog isn't eating well. I make mine in the crockpot since it has to be simmered for so much longer than regular stock.

Obviously you can use any meat/bone type, and you can also just use scrap bones without the meat (skipping step one in the video of deboning the meat).

Good luck, I hope Kasey has his appetite back tonight!

Edited by RedHead

So I said the tumour looked angry? Well, turns out it's getting discolored, and actually his leg is getting red too. Then I noticed what looks like blood under the skin. Is this par for the course? Will this go away on its own? I read up and it says its "purpura" related to low platelet count. Most prevelant on the inside of his leg by his sheath, and the tumour is on that same side onhis bum. Of course it's driving rain/stormy out, late at night, and of course it's Sunday when the vet is closed. Now I'm getting worried....I wish posting photos was easier...

Edited by XTRAWLD

Proudly owned by:

Called the e-vet. I marked the area. Their CBC machine is down so they can't run tests. Recommended me to go to another e-vet if the area of bleeding gets bigger. He's otherwise fine. No other bruising (she asked me to check his ears, gums, elbows). The injection site is great. Said he may be in need of a plasma transfusion (worst caselife or death) but obviously can't tell without seeing him or having her machine working. The fact that he's otherwise fine sounds like it would be a good idea but let's wait and see type thing... Please everyone pray this stops.

How does one increase platelets? I gave him pred this morning, oh my what if that created the drop? They warned me it might but it was OK to use for now. This poor dog...

Edited by XTRAWLD

Proudly owned by:

My heart goes out to you, so many of us know the fear and vulnerable feeling of having a sick dog at home and not knowing if it would be better to take them in or keep them at home. I've had that happen so many times. I hope the spot doesn't increase, he stays well and you can get some rest tonight.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Pred increases platelet count. The e-vet could have run an in house blood smear-oh well. Wonder if the site was just aggravated by extra handling-positioning for the catheter etc....?

So that's good to hear about the pred. The bleeding isn't anywhere near the injection site, it's by his sheath and near his tumour. I'm not sure how that area in particular would have been aggravated. Warning: Winky Picture!

IMG_20150627_235051_zpsqqnckumf.jpg

Day 3 (nearly bang on too). The blood has not spread, he's acting pretty normal. No swelling, just this unusual bleeding in that area, the inside of his "bad" leg is dark red. The tumor is very dark red. His sac is very dark like a beet red, but admittedly this morning, all of these areas are less red than they were last night. He was turning a corner mid-day yesterday with mood and weakness and everything. I can't believe this set back.

I made him some lentils last night at 1:30am which he ate, and he had a half bottle of Ensure. I read that Lentils are high in folic acid and Ensure has some B12 in it, and those two things help to grow platelets. I'm going to say the lentils is what saved the night (yes, I'm convincing myself of that). He had some more lentils this morning, cheese, and scrambled egg with a couple pieces of kale which is thoroughly loves. All of which I understand help platelet levels, even though it might not be immediate, at least I feel like he's getting SOMETHIING. He had some pretty terrible D this morning (as a result no doubt of him not eating properly) and his pee was orange for the first time - I've been waiting for that.

The e-vet last night told me they could drain the area (IMO a horrible idea) and do a transfusion and I thought, I am so concerned bringing him there might do more harm than good. I'm going to try to wait this out another 24 hours when my vet opens again tomorrow and make the first appt I can to see his vet. I read up on blood, how cells generate, length of time, etc. and I feel that if indeed his levels have dropped so low to cause this "purpura" that we just may not be able to continue with his chemo. I'm not sure how he's going to recover from this, and if he can recover the next time we try or the next two rounds. Situations like this are incredibly stressful on me, and he has NO idea what's happening.

Through all of this Ryder has been a shark, circling and waiting to finish Kasey's uneaten food. Wanting some of whatever I'm nursing Kasey. Just now I heard him playing with his ball and squeaking his toy. I'm thankful for his comic relief.

Everyone please keep Kasey in your thoughts that nothing else happens in 24 hours other than him hopefully EATING HIS FOOD!

Edited by XTRAWLD

Proudly owned by: