And So It Begins

Yeah, so he's not right. He slept until about 3am and then got restless again. I gave him some gaba and some pepcid since he was licking his lips. Waiting on a call back from the vet later today. I've asked to consider getting off pred and maybe onto something else. I think he's in pain, and certainly he should be more comfortable than this pacing around the house for hours business (which he doesn't do much of when I'm home - this is all evidenced via webcam). I also think he's lonely at home now that chemo is over and he's not being monitored constantly. I think he got used to the attention and is having trouble going to back to the old 9-5 routine.

Compared to the last Vincristine injection, he's not rebounding back as quickly. His appetite is still missing, and seems upset whereas that wasn't happening last week with the same dosage injection.

Ryder I think is wishing for cotton balls to stick in his ears right now. He's sleeping soundly in the corner undisturbed. What a tough month.

Edited by XTRAWLD

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Vet agreed to ease off pred and get on an NSAID and also to up his gaba. The NSAID he suggested was Metacam but also something else the name escapes me. It's a new drug, and begins with an O.... (thoughts?) I'll be picking up some meds on Sat when I take Kasey for bloodwork. Also agreed to give him some more appetite stimulant.

Edited by XTRAWLD

Proudly owned by:

Hugs to you, Kasey and Ryder.

Hopefully the appetite stimulant will do the trick.

groupwindia-greytalk2.jpg

The handsome boy Brady, mid-morning nap. The sun, the sun feels so, so, so good.

I can't keep my eyes open ... ... Retirement agrees ...

... and the Diva Ms India, 2001 - 10/16/2009 ....

I've set up a chiro appt for Kasey on Tuesday. He's just acting WEIRD.

He was up on the bed with me last night, his back laying right against me straight as we drifted off to sleep. An hour later, i awoke to just his head touching my feet, and he had scooted his butt all the way to the edge of the bed, I thought he was going to fall off. I woke up and gingerly picked up his hind end and put it straight down the middle of the bed again. Half hour later I awoke to him panting and again his hind legs just dangling over the edge of the bed, with his butt nearly off. Clearly, his back must be bothering him, as it seems he's trying to get away from pain?

I've started reducing his pred and upping his gaba. Hopefully soon I'll be able to get him onto something better for him. I think I'll ask for a wellness check tomorrow when they do the regular CBC. I'm concerned that something else is going on. Any other test I should maybe ask them to do?

Proudly owned by:

The white bloodcells are build in the spinal cord and the in big bones like tigh and pelvic bones. It can be that his back hurts because of the increased production after the chemotherapy.

I know that humans and dogs are different but from my own experiences I can tell you that it hurts like... to have the production of the white blood cells start up again.

My best wishes for you and this brave little patient.

Sorry for butchering the english language. I try to keep the mistakes to a minimum.

Nadine with Paddy (Zippy Mullane), Saoirse (Lizzie Be Nice), Abu (Cillowen Abu) and bridge angels Colin (Dessies Hero) and Andy (Riot Officer).

The white bloodcells are build in the spinal cord and the in big bones like tigh and pelvic bones. It can be that his back hurts because of the increased production after the chemotherapy.

I know that humans and dogs are different but from my own experiences I can tell you that it hurts like... to have the production of the white blood cells start up again.

My best wishes for you and this brave little patient.

Oh wow. That is eye opening. Thank you. Is there anything you took to help with the pain?

Proudly owned by:

I hope he feels better soon. So glad you could save him from a bed fall. Poor baby I really feel for you both!

The handsome boy Brady, mid-morning nap. The sun, the sun feels so, so, so good.

I took ibuprofen, but I don't think that's appropriate for hounds. The longer I layed in one position the more it hurt. What really helped was walking. It kept my mind from the pain, mostly in my legs. Not fast and not far but I took my dogs and walked them a little.

Sorry for butchering the english language. I try to keep the mistakes to a minimum.

Nadine with Paddy (Zippy Mullane), Saoirse (Lizzie Be Nice), Abu (Cillowen Abu) and bridge angels Colin (Dessies Hero) and Andy (Riot Officer).

Blood via CBC was in really good shape. I asked for a wellness check so that is going off to the lab. Got some Tramadol to help with pain while we're transitioning off the pred and got 2 cans of high caloric gastro food to see if it would help him eat, he's so far been interested in a couple spoonfuls big surprise. This is tiring.....

Proudly owned by:

:grouphug You are doing good, hang in there.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

I hope things are better today for you both!

He's on 200 mg gabapentin twice a day, and 50 mg tramadol once a day while I'm easing him off the pred. Does Tramadol help for over all pain issues? I'm concerned that his tumor is starting to bug him and since that's intramuscular, I don't know what kind of pain med can manage that.

IMO I can't get him on an anti-inflammatory fast enough. Vet suggested a half dose for a week and then stop and wait a week before getting him on Metacam. I feel like I want to ease off faster so I can get onto Metacam sooner, because he is really not happy. I recall when I eased him off pred for his allergies it was a much quicker process. Poor guy.

And now he's decided to not eat "exotic" raw but you know, he really likes the vet prescribed High Caloric Gasto canned food, and it doesn't give him an D, but boy or boy his farts are back to clearing the room scale. Sigh.....off to buy a box of that tomorrow.

I have officially decided that this is a losing battle and am coming to grips with this being his last summer. :unsure

Proudly owned by:

:sad1

it has been awhile since I had to take a dog off pred, but it seems to me it was only about a week? Glad he is at least eating something!

Wash out is a week. I'm afraid it's too long for him.....

Proudly owned by:

My heart aches following your struggle. It brings back so much of what I went through with Beanie. If your schedule will allow for it I would increase the gabapentin to 3 times a day. Ideally that is how it should be given. You could also increase his tramadol to at least twice a day.

Praying that you and Kasey make it over this hurdle.

He actually had a great night last night and looked pretty perky this morning. Still just nibbling food though. He finished off the bag of "loaned" kibble from my mom, I"m trying to figure out if I should buy more of that or go for the canned or both. It's really a crap shoot with what he wants to eat and when and I go through the menu if one is refused.

Trying the gaba three times a day but because I work during the day the dosage times are off, 830am, 530pm and 10pm. And he gets Tramadol on the non pred dose time. He had a pred this morning and his last one will be Thursday afternoon. I'm really worried about how he'll be come Saturday morning when he's expected to have pred again.

Proudly owned by:

Chiro noticed general weakness through the spine mid back all the way to his hip bones, not a lot of weight bearing on either back leg, even less so on the one with the tumour. Seems to have ok mobility though, and no hip issues. The second she touched him he wilted...pretty much the whole time, it was like a "where do we start" type deal. I feel so defeated.

Proudly owned by:

And finally got the spelling of the comparable drug - Onsior. He said that it's a new drug that goes immediately to the source of the inflammation and targets the area for 1.5 hours and then goes throughout the body for 24 hours. Anyone heard of/used it? It's similar to Metacam but works just a bit differently.

Edited to Add: I noted this (which might be why many on the forum are not familiar with it).

5. Is Onsior available for dogs?

Onsior is not approved for use in dogs in the United States at this time.

Oh and I forgot to add, his Wellness Blood Test could not be more perfect. On paper he's doing fabulously. Too bad he's got this LS to deal with.

Edited by XTRAWLD

Proudly owned by:

Following up next week with a physical check up and next steps, whether that means more chemo or perhaps radiation (another thing I have ZERO experience with and will need some advice). I'm pretty certain I don't want to do the chemo route again, so radiation might be the only next option if any.

For now just managing his pain from LS and getting him to eat.

Proudly owned by: