And So It Begins

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still think this is trauma related. The platelet and/or his white count shouldn't have dropped this fast-if it's going to happen it usually is a week post chemo.

Edited to add-most likely the diarrhea is from the chemo-pretty common post doxorubicin--do you have metronidazole ?

Edited by tbhounds

I still think this is trauma related. The platelet and/or his white count shouldn't have dropped this fast-if it's going to happen it usually is a week post chemo.

Edited to add-most likely the diarrhea is from the chemo-pretty common post doxorubicin--do you have metronidazole ?

No metronidazole here. His antibiotic is Sulfatrim. Hopefully within 24 hours he'll be seen by the vet. Still no appetite other than human food. His stool was D but it was also orange, either from the baby food or the chemo passing through. Would the chemo that turns his urine orange turn his stool orange too? Bandaid solution is Pepto for right now for the D.

I'm just not sure where he would have suffered trauma in these areas. He hasn't fallen or had pressure there. He is certainly weak and struggling to rise, which is straining that area and using his muscles I think that might be the trauma. Will be on pins and needles until tomorrow. Kasey thanks all of you for your thoughts, as do I, I'm a complete stress case. The bloody area is growing slightly and I can only attribute that to not resting. We had a walk and he's gotten up a couple times to rearrange his bed. He still is in decent spirits all things considered.

Edited by XTRAWLD

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

He just ate 100g of raw beef mix :bow2 and went on a nice walk where he completely vacated his bowels. Lots of D, and oddly bubbly. His system is not happy. He squatted many times to pee, always produced, but that's not normal routine for him...usually he lets it go twice for many seconds. He did some short squirts in 6 opportunities. I wonder if it hurts to pee? Just doing some association with the bleeding under the skin in that particular area.

Proudly owned by:

Glad he ate for you. The orange colored urine is normal post doxorubicin. Cystis is more commonly seen post cytoxan. Often there will be diarrhea simply because the GI tract is an area with rapidly dividing cells--exactly what chemo targets. It's usually controlled with medications such as metronidazole. Hope he continues to improve throughout the evening :-)

He also finished off my salmon, rice and stuffing about an hour ago. No way is he gonna eat his food. Sigh. Bugger. He will likely expect this kind of cooking when he's done his chemo.

He's currently fluffing his bed trying to make it comfy. You really wouldn't know anything is wrong with him. Bleeding has spread a little more on his sheath area, although there isn't any darkness on his legs like last night. 12 more hours......12....more....hours.....boy I hope they can see us first thing tomorrow morning.

Proudly owned by:

Guest ms3569

just wanted to tell you I think your doing a wonderful job taking care of Kasey. I've worked as an oncology nurse for many years. I know it's not the same with animals but the platelets don't usually drop until 7-10 days after chemotherapy. I'm feeling this might be trauma. Please don't worry he wont be able to get more chemo. doses can always be tweaked if low blood counts become an issue. It's important to keep him hydrated. Hugs to both of you. Hang in there you are such a good mom to Kasey.

So I said the tumour looked angry? Well, turns out it's getting discolored, and actually his leg is getting red too. Then I noticed what looks like blood under the skin. Is this par for the course? Will this go away on its own? I read up and it says its "purpura" related to low platelet count. Most prevelant on the inside of his leg by his sheath, and the tumour is on that same side onhis bum. Of course it's driving rain/stormy out, late at night, and of course it's Sunday when the vet is closed. Now I'm getting worried....I wish posting photos was easier...

I went through hemangiosarcoma with my AB Bruiser a few years ago. His originated in the spleen. It sounds to me like Kasey is having a typical bleeding episode as a result of the cancer. Bruiser would have them, I couldn't see the outline like Kasey's, but I could tell because he would get really weak.

One thing that I used for Bruiser on a regular basis, especially when he experienced a bleed was the chinese herbal yunnan baiyao. He always recovered much quicker from these bleeding episodes after I gave it to him.

http://www.dogcancerblog.com/blog/chinese-herb-for-bleeding-dog-cancers/

Adding lots of healing thoughts and white light for Kasey. :hope:candle

Sending you and Kasey all good thoughts. Just found myself wondering if the satin balls might be attractive if they started out being on *your* plate?

gallery_14387_3165_6886.jpg

Patsy and DH with the Humane Society specials, Linus & Jazz, in North Dakota

Sending you and Kasey all good thoughts. Just found myself wondering if the satin balls might be attractive if they started out being on *your* plate?

Good idea! That made me smile!

So I called the vet this morning, and spoke to him directly and explained what I'm seeing. I told him his leg was beet red on Saturday night, he's a bit weak, got this thing on his winky, a bit of trouble urinating and of course loss of appetite. He's not concerned. Says it is a reaction to the chemo. <_<:D Said "see you on Friday!" LOL I can't tell you how relieved I am. Skeptical, but relieved.

Last night I couldn't get anything more than a dozen cookies into him last night before bed. He ate a bowl of cheerios and some milk, REALLY enjoyed the milk LOL and a whack of cookies again this morning. I think I'll pick up some kibble for him - it's been years since he's had any but he's got lots of interest in his cookies so.....give him anything he wants at this point right?!?!

Proudly owned by:

Wow, what an emotion roller-coaster ride this weekend has been for you and Kasey. So glad your vet was Okay with what you reported.

I guess they will do blood tests before the next round of chemo, that what I remember doing for Ms. India (kitty) a few years ago. I am so glad he is eating something!

groupwindia-greytalk2.jpg

The handsome boy Brady, mid-morning nap. The sun, the sun feels so, so, so good.

I can't keep my eyes open ... ... Retirement agrees ...

... and the Diva Ms India, 2001 - 10/16/2009 ....

Yes bloodwork before every treatment.

I had to leave work PRONTO today. Evidence on the webcam showed a pacing Kasey with a tail up, just as he went out of view. I came home to 2 bombed carpets. He couldn't make it for 4 hours without a bout of D. :( Yesterday he had a solid 6 hours before needing to go. And overnight, never an issue. Poor guy. Working from home for now, and of course he's sleeping now like a little angel.

He had some of my macaroni cassarole and a quarter slice of bread. What a vicious circle. I already need my dog back....

Proudly owned by:

The big D is no fun.

Glad you have the opportunity to work from home.

The handsome boy Brady, mid-morning nap. The sun, the sun feels so, so, so good.

Thinking good thoughts for you and Kasey. It can certainly be a rollercoaster between worrying, feeling relieved, worrying again, etc. I know what a hard and completely exhausting time this is.

Hoping that some of Kasey's problems are just from the weird foods he has been eating.

Picking up some anti D meds today for the bugger. He wagged his tail at me yesterday and today, I think his spirits are getting lifted. Also, I think he's playing me now about not eating......he knows I'll make something special for him.....

Keep thinking of him. It's clearly working!

The big D is no fun.

Glad you have the opportunity to work from home.

Indeed, not an opportunity I want to abuse, but certainly I have a very understanding boss and co-workers.

Edited by XTRAWLD

Proudly owned by:

Glad that you picked up some D meds for Kasey. Sounds like he's feeling better, course your be home has lifted his spirits also.

I hope that his appetite returns and the Big D stays away.

Whoo hoo. 2 bowls of cooked ground beef, kale, carrots and rice down the hatch. He seems more spirited today, even though he's still pooping liquid. He was prescribed Tylosin and even got 4 small packages of ProBiotics. Yet another thing to administer WITH FOOD. Bugger. His vet is going on vacation for 1.5 weeks as of tomorrow.....ack....I guess everyone needs one....but he's assured me that everyone at the clinic is briefed on Kasey and his treatment and that the other two chemo sessions should be less rough on him. I sure hope so. Next two rounds are Vincristine with some mustard gas tablets thrown in the middle there too. So much more of the road to walk.....

Proudly owned by:

Guest MurphysMom

Yum, Kasey's food sounds delicious! :chow thank you for the update! It seems like things are toodling along just as they should. Hang in there!! You're being very strong through all this!

Well....he ate about 150g of the exotic raw mix for lunch today that I received yesterday and thawed. Had more of it thawed, he likely would have had a full meal. Turkey/Bison/Wild Boar. Was able to mix the probiotic in. Then again, I guess he should take it easy on the quantity of what he'll eat at the beginning right? For those keeping track, the last time he even touched raw was late Friday night (it's now Wed aft). Also, had 2 handfuls of kibble - which he hasn't had in forever. I'm really excited about him eating some dinner!

In even better news, the "bruising" or "bleeding" or whatever it is on his undercarriage has shifted. It's pretty much gone from the inside of his back legs and only exists now primarily on the lower part of his winky, and the color is back to normal on his tumour and his leg.

Geeze Louise can you say improvement?!

Edited by XTRAWLD

Proudly owned by: