And So It Begins

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So glad he is improving and hopefully his intestines will quiet down a bit so no more big D.

groupwindia-greytalk2.jpg

The handsome boy Brady, mid-morning nap. The sun, the sun feels so, so, so good.

I can't keep my eyes open ... ... Retirement agrees ...

... and the Diva Ms India, 2001 - 10/16/2009 ....

Yay for improvement!

Poor Kasey, with "winky" updates going out on the internet. :)

Winky is as winky does! :)

Very proud to report: 150g for lunch yesterday, 190g for bedtime snack, 260g for brekkie....one nice really solid poop this morning. Hallelujah!!! :D

I did not have to use the Tylosin (but will hang onto it!), his system came back on it's own, but I did give him Probiotics. All this just to get hit again tomorrow at 1030am. :( At least he's on the upswing going into it.

Notes: Redness is still creeping around his winky, but virtually gone from the inside of his legs. I almost want to say the chemo (this redness) is going where the cancer is. My goodness if that's the case, it's pretty much all over his back end! He's peeing better, and actually drank like a fish this morning.

He's weak - and I mean that on his hind end. a lot of trouble getting up from rest - so his LS is actually getting amplified I find. It certainly doesn't help that he is lacking energy from the chemo and not eating. I'll be giving him pred tonight and bumping up his gaba dose tonight too. He's more hesitant to jump the 2 stairs getting into the house, so he's certainly bothered. On our walk (he's done this before) but he snapped at the top of his tail - a sign to me that his nerve is bugging him. When that happens, it's a sign to me to help him with more gaba.

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

No go on the chemo session. :(

Platelet levels are at 53, they should be between 110-205. He was 204 before beginning treatment last week. Explains the bruising at his winky last weekend. His platelet count could also have been much lower earlier this week than they were today. I didn't know it, but he could have have next to nothing platelet levels when I spoke to the emerge vet after all and that's such a scary thought. They warned me today about no strenuous activity, no jumping, nothing that could cause an injury or swelling/bruising. Keep him low key the rest of the weekend. The bruising by his undercarriage is dissipating so he's getting better, presumably he's growing some platelets.

The vet brought up a good point about him being on raw - he might not have the power to fight off the bacteria in the raw in his gut during all this chemo. The little bit of course that he's eating at a time anyway. It's a big problem about his not eating, and naturally he will continue to have low platelets unless he does. They sent me home with an appetite stimulant, enough to take me to Sunday. I also decided to buy a bag of his old kibble and he ate 2 cups of it when we got home, refusing the exotic raw. Think he'll be on kibble until all the chemo is over, hopefully he won't turn his nose up on that any time soon either. What do you guys think about being on raw during chemo?

He just started coming around fully as of yesterday. Eating, actually playing with me, seemed much better than he did all week. Driving him in today I didn't even want him to have another session, but this sealed the deal....for now anyway. Retest of his CBC on Monday afternoon. I'm keeping his next Friday appointment for chemo because apparently he can still undergo "phase 2" provided his platelets increase. Also bought a box of Probiotics that will last me the month, prolly be a long term thing. It's $1 a package once a day, so I think I can do that. Cheaper than capsules at the store, and the powder seems to make the food enticing enough to want to eat as well. Very very weak hind end today too. Such a struggle to get up and when he is, he's sinking quickly. He had pred last night....they would prefer I don't up his dose or increase the frequency yet.

I have pretty mixed feelings about all of this. Thanks for your support and thoughts.

Proudly owned by:

What a rollercoaster. I've got a good friend whose dog had a leg amputated due to osteo. He has also been getting chemo. AlI the vets he has been seeing - surgeon, oncologist, homeopathic, cautioned her to not feed him raw while getting chemo. I have another friend whose hound was diagnosed with lymphoma about the same time as the hound above, same thing, no raw until chemo is over. It seems to be a common thread when they are on chemo.

I hope it's quiet weekend for both of you. It sounds like maybe he perked up after eating the kibble.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

I never had luck with mirtazapine stimulating a dogs appetite-kitties yes, but not in dogs. I think you would have better luck with cerenia. I know you consulted with Dr Couto earlier-why don't you touch base with him regarding the most recent platelet count. I know he administers chemo with a lower white count then many other onco's but, it would be good to have his input on the platelet count too.

Edited to add WBC thought :-)

Edited by tbhounds

I came home and he's snapped his dew claw and is bleeding. I know if I wrap it, it might stop bleeding but with his issues about blood clotting will a wrap be enough until morning to get it properly removed or do I go to evet?

Suuuuure low key.....right. Make sure he doesn't bleed.....suuuuure.

Edit: Heading to evet

Edited by XTRAWLD

Proudly owned by:

Back from evet. Bleeding stopped. Never a dull moment.

Nail came off when we got there so they just put powder on it and bandaged it up good and proper. Told me to change it in 24 hrs. I think I can do it myself but insisted I go to my vet. They are only open until 2 tomorrow.

Proudly owned by:

Thank you. I'm catching breaks, but in totally different ways, not greyhound ways.

He's feeling very crappy and sorry for himself today. I'm certain he's as frustrated as I am, doesn't want this sort of thing to happen - although I think he LOVES the attention LOL. I wish I could do more about his situation, but there isn't anything left to do.

I got him to eat a cup of kibble, which means he got his drugs cocktail and he did a healthy one and two outside.

Think we'll hang outside for a little bit today and enjoy the weather. I'll be bringing out my nail grinder to take care of that other dew claw before something happens there too.

Ryder is being a champ but I'm sad that he's not getting the attention he should be getting either. What a champ of a brother though! AND he gets all of Kasey's uneaten meals.

Edited by XTRAWLD

Proudly owned by:

Re-bandaged it last night. There is nothing left of the dew claw. Zero. And it's very yucky - but it clotted up good and didn't bleed as I very very carefully removed the gauze. My bandage job so far is holding 15 hours in :) Nurse momma huh? Also ground down his other dew claw and any other nails that needed it. Will re-bandage it again tonight, so it's protected tomorrow while I'm at work, and then he's going in for a CBC check to the vet (let's please hope his platelets are up). I'll let them take a look at his non existant dew claw and instruct me further. Prolly need to soak it though after we get back to get all the blood off from his surrounding fur if they tell me it's ok to leave un-bandaged. Think I'll find an old sock just in case? And naturally I'm out of epsom salts.

He's feeling MUCH better today - yesterday was just an awful day for him, he was so weak I used the harness all day long to help him get up and get out of the house to do his thing.

He had his first big dinner last night, kibble, rice and baby food. I'm hoping that's what is giving him so much "energy" today. He roached this morning on his bed, first time in a week and made it up and outside on his own power. He even trotted on his walk, I shouldn't let him exert himself (and it's hot here today) but I figure he's gotta move to keep his LS in check, so off we go at his pace. He had half his breakkie, more of the same kibble, rice and baby food. Will try to give him the rest of brekkie shortly. Poop was a little runny though this morning - and I forgot how much poop there is when he's on kibble.....easily 3/4 less when on raw.

Side Note: Ryder puked in the middle of the night. Thankfully that's becoming rare, I can't remember the last time he did. Nope, no greyhound breaks.

Thanks all. Will update again tomorrow barring any other catastrophes.

Proudly owned by:

And the roller coaster continues.

Platelets UP to 179 :pepper Still on track for bloodwork again to check how he's progressing on Friday before another round of chemo. I'm honestly completely astonished at this good news. From 53 to 179 in 3 days!

Dewclaw was inspected. Vet tech came out and said "who did the bandages?" I said "me" :sofa She said "it looks great!" She said the site itself looks bad, but she seen worse. The syptic powder and the cornstarch have bonded up a nice clot and she didn't want to remove it, but did clean it up as best they could. The bad news however is that I have to keep it bandaged for the rest of the week with nightly re-dressings :( She would like it bandaged up a different way so I took video and watched closely. Her "type" involves covering up the toes completely to provide more support. The downside is if the bandages get wet they pretty much have to be replaced. She gave me the sexiest thing ever to cover it up if he has to walk in the wet - an old IV bag with ties on the top! :rofl He'll will be supervised 24/7, so I'll be figuring out some work arounds to get though this between work and night school. This I will have to say is already the most difficult July I have ever been through. My b-day is at the beginning of August. Let's hope I can truly celebrate with all of this being over and nothing but up from here. Cheers.

Proudly owned by:

Platelet level was up to 193 so Kasey was cleared for next round of chemo. And he even gained a pound! Vincristine was administered via IV yesterday and so far so good. He was very restless yesterday after getting him home, and actually very weak because he hadn't had any pred or gaba for his LS. The harness I got for him is certainly getting a work out now!

They also checked his dew claw and it's healed up nicely. I took very diligent care of it over the week so he's able to have it exposed to the air now. I had to go out last night for a few hours but watched him on my webcam. He spent 20 minutes cleaning his paw and then stopped, which I was relieved about. He got all the stuck blood off his paw so I can see it better now! I cringed as I watched him get up and struggle, very similar to last Friday when he busted his dew claw. Thankfully he was alright last night. I would much rather ensure he's not in pain with his back, than to have him hurt himself when unattended because he's weak and struggling and gets frantic. It's the lesser of two evils.

Going in for another CBC today in a few hours because he is scheduled to have Cyclophosphamide tablets administered tomorrow. I've pre-emtively set another CBC for Monday afternoon just in case, plus if he starts bruising again, I've already got an appt booked. He's behaving right now the same way with his first round, and I'm just holding my breath hoping that he's not going to start completely going downhill again tonight. He's still eating which is good. He actually wanted some of Ry's raw so I just let him have it, they said as long as he eats something - it's not preferred but he needs to at least eat. Thankfully he had a large helping of kibble this morning, and I'll be making him some lentils and pasta to mix with tonight for dinner. Fingers crossed.

Edited by XTRAWLD

Proudly owned by:

My goodness it's been very up and down! Glad he's holding his own, but seriously Kasey... maybe more good stuff and less bad for your momma's sake?

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

So we dropped from 193 to 136. Holding off on the Cyclophosphamide tablets until at least Monday. Will recheck platelets Monday morning. Pray for an uneventful 48 hours for Kasey & me please. I really don't want to go through the same stuff as last time.

Proudly owned by:

I hope and pray that this weekend is smooth sailing for you and Kasey.

groupwindia-greytalk2.jpg

The handsome boy Brady, mid-morning nap. The sun, the sun feels so, so, so good.

I can't keep my eyes open ... ... Retirement agrees ...

... and the Diva Ms India, 2001 - 10/16/2009 ....