Small Victory?

Kasey's ultrasound was completed on Monday to determine if any of his cancer has spread to his organs. It hasn't!!!!! :pepper I'm so excited. Of course it would really be a lot nicer if he didn't have cancer at all, but ruling it out from the rest of his body has reduced the burden of being able to handle this.

Original discussion thread here for those that are not familiar with the current woes - http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php/topic/313354-mass-on-leg/

My vet has been in close consultation with Dr. Couto and we will be going ahead to follow a 21 day protocol of chemo to get rid of the cancer that is affecting his hind end. He will not require surgery for two reasons (one, the location and type of mass he has could most certainly cause great blood loss and potential death - his biopsy bled for a day, I can't imagine what a surgery would be like, and secondly the chemo will actually get rid mass altogether). While my vet has not had to deal with this exact type of case before, Dr. Couto has, and has dealt with it rather successfully, and has come up with a protocol that most effectively handles it. My vet is completely willing to administer all the meds and care for Kasey to the fullest degree and I'm very happy he's able to do this! This type of cancer (cutaneous something or other) responds incredibly well to chemo treatment and while they of course can't guarantee anything, past experience yields full remission and excellent results. Fingers crossed folks!

I cannot wait to get started so Kasey can live out the rest of his years as a healthy senior. I told Kasey last night, and of course he now thinks he's Superman. He was running around last night on our walk, and we even played like we used to when he was a 7 year old! Clearly, I'm relieved and it's lifted a cloud over him in turn.

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

That is wonderful news for you and Kasey.

groupwindia-greytalk2.jpg

The handsome boy Brady, mid-morning nap. The sun, the sun feels so, so, so good.

I can't keep my eyes open ... ... Retirement agrees ...

... and the Diva Ms India, 2001 - 10/16/2009 ....

How the heck did I miss the original thread!? I'm so sorry to hear of Kasey's diagnosis, but very glad to hear the ultrasound was clean. Lots of good thoughts headed your way to make up for time I missed!

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Yay Kasey!!!!

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Just received the cost break down and what is happening on what day (although the exact days have yet to be determined).

He's got three "inject-able" days and interspersed throughout are pills and bloodwork. The first day he'll be hospitalized all day so they can monitor him, the other two days which I'm assuming are not as intense they would let me bring him home after he's been done.

I would just have to watch out for loose stools as he'll be passing the chemo out of his system through that avenue. Also he may vomit and have a drop in appetite. Awesome! For those that have gone through the chemo route, would you be able to enlighten me about what to expect? Should I be taking days off? Is he going to be ok home alone for most of this treatment? I had suggested if we can do these things on Fridays so I'm home on the weekends to help him through the worst of it. Any ideas and support would be appreciated. Thanks.

Edited to add: He'll still be taking prednisone and gabapentin (cleared this with the vet) for his LS during all this. -

Also Maybe I should open another thread?

Edited by XTRAWLD

Proudly owned by:

Depending on the chemo agent used most of these guys do greyt. Some will have some nausea and/or diarrhea within 24-48 hours after administration but, symptoms can usually be managed and resolved with anti-emetics and anti-diarrheal medications. Often Cerenia and/or ondanastron (Zofran) will be given the day of chemo to lessen the side effects. You may be dispensed Cerenia Ondansatron and metronidazole to be used at home. If side effects of the chemo are not resolved by the medications often the dosage of the chemo needs to be reduced and other supportive medications can be tried. Often we stress over the chemo admin than the patient does ;-)

Cancer is never good news, but all things considering, this is very good news!! I am so happy that you have a treatment plan to go ahead with. You must at least feel a bit of a burden off of your shoulders.

:nod

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Thank you all for your support!

Often Cerenia and/or ondanastron (Zofran) will be given the day of chemo to lessen the side effects.

I will ask about the Cerenia. Would injection or oral be a better method? The vet tech suggested a probiotic to maybe help with his stomach. I took a look quickly in the drug store. Did I read correctly capsules are $52 for a bottle?!?! Maybe I'm not looking at the right thing? I have slippery elm on hand and he's regularly on pepcid....is that enough?

Proudly owned by:

Skip the probiotic. Cerenia comes in an injectable or oral form. The injection burns like the dickens. Many clinics dispense the oral form. What we commonly do is dispense oral cerenia for you to give a dose when you get home and admin the Ondansatron IV about a half hour before giving the chemo. Depending on how your hound responses will indicate the course of action. You may need to give metronidazole if diarrhea occurs. It really depends on which chemo drug they are using and how your dog reacts. You may need to give absolutely nothing :-). Try not to worry--it's not as scary as it all sounds ;-)