Tess' Protein Losing Enteropathy

Tess has always had a somewhat delicate stomach, and tends to stay a bit thinner than the others, but lately she's had us worried and frustrated. The diarrhea has been going on for over a week, but it would firm up a little, then get worse. Bland diet and a routine worming with Strongid didn't help. She eats well, and is her usual, happy, active self.

So we went to the vet yesterday. I'd posted that our vet of 21 years left the practice the end of December. We loved her, and were so upset. Not only did she leave, but ALL the vets left! Yep, the whole practice. They sent out a flyer introducing the new vets, and had an open house, which was a good idea, but we thought the worst---we wouldn't like the new vets, they wouldn't like the Greys, it would be a lot more expensive, etc. Well, I'm happy to say that so far, we were wrong! The prices seem to be about the same. But on Tues. and Thurs. afternoons, senior citizens get a 10% discount! Since I'm a senior, and if the visit isn't urgent, this is great. I'd taken our cat Lily last month for her convenia shot, and even though the prices were the same, I actually paid less!

So it worked out yesterday that Doug and I could take Tess in. We really liked the young female doctor. She and the tech did a really thorough history, asked lots of questions, took plenty of time with us, were lovely and gentle with Tess, and seemed charmed by her---and by Calvin, who had come along for moral support. :thumbs-up She didn't start out recommending lots of stuff, but let us decide what we chose to do. Since Tess will be 11 in June, and has never had any bloodwork done, it seems to me that this would be a good idea, right? So we did it, including an urinalysis. She also suggested an IDEXX fecal to check for other intestinal problems, which made sense to me as well. She dispensed Metronidazole, and a can of ID. The bloodwork was the most expensive, of course. The geriatric senior profile was $123.75. Does that seem about average? The total for everything was $236, and I got a discount of $23, so it came out to $213. A lot, but better than I'd expected.

With the 2 pills so far, and the ID (we'll get some more), Tess already seems better. Of course, we'll have to see what the bloodwork, urinalysis and fecal show. Hopefully, she doesn't have any major problems. She is arguably one of the best dogs in the world. :beatheart

So we're feeling a lot better about the vet situation, and would definitely go back.

Edited by queenwinniesmom

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Prices seem about right (adjusted for geography). Finding a vet you like is just about everything! We switched vets three years ago and couldn't be happier!

Glad Tess seems to be too!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Bloodwork results came back, and show protein losing enteropathy. :( I've seen this here, but am not familiar with how to treat it. I just know it's not good. The vet recommended steroids, as really the only thing that helps, and Rx diet (expensive). I'm so worried, and would like to hear other's experiences.

Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon

Oh my. :( First of all, great news about the new vet, and yeah, those prices seem pretty reasonable to me!

Not sure how PLE relates to what Jack had (lymphangiactasia), but I know that was an inability to absorb protein, and the 'fix' was rx food and steroids. The food was around $75 for 15 pounds, and Jack was eating 7+ cups per day. Crazy. The steroid (prednisolone) treatment didn't go so good for him, as you know. :( He got blood clots and we had him PTS. But I know there are lots of dogs who can tolerate pred.

It was the really low protein levels, combined with weight loss, and perpetually soft stools (the whole time we had him, basically) that led us to look for what was going on. And we'd had him on a prescription food anyway, hoping to 'fix' the soft stool....so we were inadvertently 'treating' his illness before we knew he had it. He went from (I think) low fat food to ultra low fat.

Let us know how things go.

Phoebe (Belle's Sweetpea) adopted 9/2/13.

Jack (BTR Captain Jack) 9/28/05--11/2/12
Always missing Buddy, Ruby, and Rascal.

Does the vet think the PLE is secondary to something else (irrc, it generally is)? Turbo had it, but we don't know why. I suspect now he may have had intestinal lymphoma or some sort of pancreatic involvement. Unfortunately, his was diagnosed because of fluid build up in the abdomen and he was in *a lot* of pain, which we couldn't relieve, so we had to let him go. He'd been having GI episodes for a couple of months when he finally started getting the fluid build up. I know some folks on here whose dogs have been diagnosed with it, and they managed the symptoms for a while.

I hope you are able to find a good management protocol and have lots of good time left with her. :grouphug

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Topaz had PLE due to liver disease. Liver enzymes were normal but liver function tests were way off the charts. One value 10 times normal.

However she was also only 5 yrs old.

Yes-when blood proteins are decreased you have to determine if they are losing protein or are they not producing proteins. You should run a bile acids test.

Another beneficial test to run with suspected IBD is a TLI test.

Edited by tbhounds

Thanks, everyone. Tracy, I'll PM you. I'm at a live in pet sitting job for another week---have been here almost 2 weeks---and I left all the stuff I wrote down at home. I get home for a while every day. Doug got a printout, so I'll look at that tomorrow.

She didn't like the expensive Rx food. Starting the pred tonight. :( At least if she pees a lot, she has a ready made place to go---our family room is pretty much a doggie toilet right now. It works for Lydia, I'm sure Tess won't mind. I've seen her sneak in there and pee a couple times---we can hardly blame her. This is why we don't have friends over. :(

Thanks, everyone. Tracy, I'll PM you. I'm at a live in pet sitting job for another week---have been here almost 2 weeks---and I left all the stuff I wrote down at home. I get home for a while every day. Doug got a printout, so I'll look at that tomorrow.

She didn't like the expensive Rx food. Starting the pred tonight. :( At least if she pees a lot, she has a ready made place to go---our family room is pretty much a doggie toilet right now. It works for Lydia, I'm sure Tess won't mind. I've seen her sneak in there and pee a couple times---we can hardly blame her. This is why we don't have friends over. :(

Nancy, I'm sorry I didn't post earlier, but you and Tess have been in my thoughts. How has she been doing since starting medication?

I also want to say that I think you and Doug are very special people to make the accommodations you do for both Lydia and Tess.

It's nice to know that people understand. Thank-you. Of course, the people who don't understand---the heck with them, right? Lydia literally would not be here if she had to keep going up and down those steps. And now Tess is starting to not like them too.

We took a big step---we told our tenant that he would have to move out. We have to give him a few months to find someplace else and to move. But this is just something that we feel we have to do.

Tess is some better as far as the stools are concerned. And she seems to be doing okay on the pred. But she is so very thin---you can see every rib and her backbone. It breaks my heart.

Tracy has been so helpful and informative. We've kinda goofed up on the food situation. She doesn't really like the Rx diet, which is SO expensive, so Doug was still giving her some of her regular food. And we shouldn't be doing that.

The vet said it is possible that the PLE could be secondary to a cancerous lesion. But the involved biopsy is not something we are inclined to do. Hopefully, we can get to a diet status quo. I just worry about her prognosis, and if she'll ever be able to gain weight. :weep

Guest elizabeth7418

I'm so sorry that you're going through this. My mom's Sydney, who is now 11, was diagnosed with PLE in January of last year. We all commented to my mom over Xmas that she looked really thin, and she'd always had a sensitive stomach and soft stools. My mom took her in for tests, and, like you, decided not to do the biopsy. It's been almost a year and a half, and with diet changes, she's gained back a ton of weight and is doing great. I know that she takes prednisone and gets Tylan powder and I *think* Proin and that's it. I hope that Tess continues to improve. Hugs to you all.

{{{{{Tess}}}}}

Hugs to all of you.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Nancy, when Jack was on the prescription food (ultra low fat...is that what they want Tess to have?), I found he was ravenous--probably due to the pred. Dr butler told us to give him nothing else at all, to even use the food for treats. Not even his favorite thing, apples, was he allowed to have. :(.

:grouphug Keeping you and Tess in my thoughts.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

The vet prescribed Royal Canin Gastrointestinal dry, and canned ID. I also got some treats from the vet yesterday---Hills Prescription Diet Hypo Treats (she does like the treats). Should we be looking at other limited ingredient diets?

I know it's early in treatment, but it's discouraging, especially since Doug (and I sometimes) can't grasp the concept of what's going on, and why we need to do what we're doing. He says she doesn't eat the Rx diet well, so he wants to feed her some of her regular food so she'll eat. :crazy I said if she's eating the regular food, but that's exacerbating her problems and she's continuing to lose weight and have diarrhea, how is that better than trying to keep her on the Rx food that hopefully will help her when she eats it? Sigh.

Maybe if someone can post something for him to read, it might help.

Are you doing the prescription kibble or the canned? When Aquitaine was diagnosed with PLN we had to switch to the Hill's kidney diet. Thankfully, she thought that canned food was fantastic! I went with the canned because she only had 5 teeth... I also didn't do the correct calorie calculation on the switch from kibble so she lost weight. Once I realized what I had done I corrected that. If Tess doesn't like the kibble, maybe she would like the canned? I hate to say that because the cost of either of them is so high, but you do what you have to do.

Jack's illness wasn't PLE but it *was* a protein-losing disease nonetheless. We were told ONLY the rx diet, nothing else, no treats, NOTHING ELSE. Hard to believe she isn't ravenous, being on pred....

There are a couple different brands of veterinary foods (Royal Canin, Hills, Purina, at least one more whose name escapes me), so if she doesn't like one, she might like another. I usually feed the canned but it does cost. For those who can't spend that much, Hills used to publish a sheet of homemade versions of their main veterinary diets; your vet may have a copy; if not, I can scan mine and email it to you although it would be best to use in conjunction with your vet's advice (he/she knows your girl and her ailments, and I don't!).

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.