Zombie Rat Kill

I am watching my sister's little dachsund X terrier. He just killed a zombie rat and would not let go of his prize easily. The thing looks sickly and diseased. Dog is fully vaxx'd and has no wounds, open or otherwise, from his asinine move,. Do I need to worry or do something emergently? The internet says no, on average, but the internet has a lot of idiots on it.

Thanks for any help. This is a last straw for me today.

Missing Zola, my hero and my heart; and Brin, my baby dog, my wisp of love.

Guest AimeeBee

I wouldn't worry. Maybe check him over for stray fleas, but I agree with tbhounds -- as long as he didn't eat it you should be ok.

before my greys i had a poodle/terrier mix. one day coming back from walkies on the farm next door, he found a dead decomposing slimey smelly rat. he was in ecstasy. first he rolled around on it then picked it up as i approached. he would not drop it. he proudly carried it all the way home. stank something awful. tried trading for one of his normal treats, nothin' doin'. trying to get it away produced a atypical growl. he never did it at me before. had to do the water torture on him. squirting him with a hose in the mouth. it went in the bin, he went in the bath. washed him about three times. still could smell it. no kisses for a week or so. he was OK, no tummy troubls or otherwise.

Edited by kronckew

Regards,
Wayne Kroncke

CAVE CANEM RADIX LECTI ET SEMPER PARATUS
Vegetarians: My food poops on your food.

Thank you all! Very relieving to hear. I don't know what to do with these creatures who hunt?

My hounds are civilized kibble-and-ground turkey eating dogs, thank you very much. :)

Dog might get more chlorhexidine wash tonight though, Zombie rat!!!!

Missing Zola, my hero and my heart; and Brin, my baby dog, my wisp of love.

If he's not on a flea/tick treatment, it might be worth it to do one for a couple months, just in case.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I've had lots of manic hunter terriers and a greyhound hunter.

Once I lived across from a field and I swear I came home to a mouse dispatched by my yorkie every few days. The neighbors used snap and glue traps - I used Axel.

Rex was a greyhound squirrel killing machine. Usually I was able to get them away from him unscathed but once he ate 1/2 of one before Poodle ratted him out. We did dose him with Dontrol just in case that time.

If they eat a rodent that has ingested some poison somewhere then they will be poisoned!

That depends on the poison. The newer second generation rodenticides work on the first thing that eats them. They are more expensive and getting harder to find due to new EPA laws that require they only be sold in bulk, but they are out there.

Edited by Hubcitypam
gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

He'll be ok, but I agree with the flea treatment. Right after I started feeding raw I found Doodles out in the yard munching on a squirrel. She saw me and hard me say, No!, then bit down hard on the head, the body dropped to the ground and she proudly continued munching on the head, then came in the house!

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

That's one of the reasons I muzzle my guys before I put them out(I live on a farm and they have a large yard). If they eat a rodent that has ingested some poison somewhere then they will be poisoned! This is actually a fairly common issue and is responsible for the death of a lot of brids of prey as well. I have seen a hound easily catch a field mouse before and I have to figure it is a tempting treat to some so I don't take any chances.

a dog doing their job!!! i've had terriers for years,one of mine worked daily at a stable- killing rats. my mom's aunt had a terrier whose nightly job was to kill the rats at the chicken market. if your worried just have your sister touch base w/ her vet.