Dog Hates Coat

Guest ms3569

Guest ms3569

I've had my male greyhound for 3 weeks and he doesn't like anything going over his head (collar or coat). I live in PA and with the frigid temperatures I bought my dog a double lined fleece coat that Velcro's at upper chest and around the belly instead of going over his head. My dog runs when he sees it. He also doesn't like when you lay the coat on his back to Velcro he runs and backs away. I would appreciate any advice how to get the coat on him without making him so scared. It's about 8 degrees here.

Thanks

He might be reacting to the sound of the velcro. In addition to the suggestion above you could try fastening it and unfastening it without actually placing it on him and treating him every time so he associates the sound with something positive. Also, fleece gets pretty staticky, so you can fill a spray bottle with heavily watered-down fabric softener and spritz it regularly. I do that to all of Sweep's fleece coats and blankets.

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

My Nova basically acted like she was dying the first time I put a coat on her...and the second time...and the third. But, I kept at it, and these days, about 5 weeks after the first encounter, she is totally fine with it. In fact, she's still in her jammies at almost 3 pm. Just keep at it, he'll get used to it too.

Laura, mom to Luna (Boc's Duchess) and Nova (Atascocita Venus).
Forever in my heart, Phantom (Tequila Nights) and Zippy (Iruska Monte).

The fleece is probably static-y, especially if it's cold and dry. You can use fabric softener as outlined above, or wipe both the dog and coat with a dryer sheet. Just be careful washing the coat with fabric softener - the softener can destroy the water-proofing on treated fleeces.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

How long is he outside? If you are taking him out to eliminate, or if you have a fenced in yard and are just letting him out to eliminate, there really isnt any need for a coat. If a hound is going to be outside for less than 5 minutes regardless of temp, they dont need a jacket on. If you are gong to take your hound for a 30 min or 1 hour walk, then that is a different story, but just a quick turn-out to eliminate, no jacket needed.

IMO if it's too cold for you without a jacket, it's too cold for your hound without a jacket. I've gone for short stints around freezing weather with no wind and sun without coats, but generally, I always have something light on them regardless in the wintertime. GH's do get used to coats, and as mentioned above, time for tough love me thinks. You could perhaps get a coat that velcro's in the front around the chest....my Ryder has a raincoat like that, made by Sunpaws......it's super easy to throw it over his head, however, you could easily just place it on the back and secure it to his front without putting his head through the hole.

Edited by XTRAWLD

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Guest normaandburrell

Granted it doesn't get real cold here in Florida, but still it has been in the 40s with wind chill in the 20s for the last 2-3 mornings. At first Iceman didn't want a coat or jammies on and would actually try to rip them off. We acted really excited about putting them on, used the squeaky happy voice, and gave him treats (I even stuck a treat through the neck of the jammies and got him to put his head in and grab it). Then we would take him out immediately for his walk. It didn't take him long to figure out that the jammies kept him warm, and today around noon when my husband took them off, he grabbed the jammies out of hubbie's hand, and dropped them on his bed. :lol:

I agree with using treats to train the dog to accept things going over his head. You may need to do a lot of sessions of progressive movements toward what you finally want (show the jacket or collar and treat a few times, then bring them closer to his head or touch his head and treat a few times...then when that's not so bad try to give him a treat through the hole in the collar or jacket a few times...). If you have a food crazy hound you might want to make this his meal - "treats" are his regular meal of kibble, but rewarding what you want and showing that it isn't that bad. If you have a fussier hound, you might want to bring out really great treats and use those for the more advanced steps (eating through the collar, or after his collar is on giving the great treat). Do short, frequent training bouts and between them he doesn't get the great treats at all. Someone else here said that sometimes making them close their eyes (holding the muzzle and just gently making them close their eyes as you slide the collar or jacket from off your arm over their head) can work wonders, too. And I hate static and so does Monty (it makes him stop and shake when we're on walks and everything is dry and crackling with static), so doing something for static control can also really help.

Good luck! I hope something works for you. :)

strange, they wear coats at the track- the haelmar style fleece coats( http://www.halemar.com/Winter-Fall-Lined-Coat-107.htm]. i would use static guard, the spray, and put some on your hand as well as the interior of the coat. rub his back w/ it, not a lot, just enough to neutralize the static on his body. think of our hair and those dry winter days- how it stands on end when we pull a hat off! dogs get used to everything, just do it and give him a piece of cheese or something special before and after the coat is on. before when you call him, after it is fastened. this will change- he will see the coat and come running for the cheese.

Edited by cleptogrey

My current foster will wear a coat, but will not pee with one on. He is a leg lifter and will not pee unless he can lift his leg on something, Every other male GH I've had will stretch and pee when needed.

I think that the dog coats I have a belly strap that may be a bit to far back and he feels that it's in the way.

Luckily, for him, he doesn't seem to mind the cold.

Willow( Hi Tech Popandgo ) CGC #31965 Calico Salad x MayPop 8-9-93/9-24-07 Austin( Nodak Austin ) #55202 Chrisse's Twelve x Lotsa Liz 2-25-96/2-15-05 Matt( Kelsos Metaphor ) #90695 Oswald Cobblepot x Kelso's Movita 8-10-00/2-28-14 Buddy (Aljo Class Act) #78137 Action By Design x Miss Classy 12-8-98/8-29-09 Sonny (Onaim Excalibur)#97927 Flying Train x Rough Diamond 9-7-01/1-9-2016Hunter (SS Snow Roll) #35135 Craigie Whistler x Lightning Snow 10-4-2005/9-23-17 Leo (Yolo Empleo)#72060 4-13-18 Fiesta Paraguas x Mega Bien Hecho

What about some light flannel or fleece jammies to wear around the house? He might get used to it more then or could even just go out in that. Cole seemed a bit awkward at first when I put coats or things on him, but after wearing light jammies around the house a day or so he didn't even seem to notice it anymore. I use ones without leggings.

Edited by k9soul