Got Me A Poop Eater

I've only had one poop eater in the past, Gracie. We were able to remedy that by adding pineapple juice in her kibble. Voila' - no more poop eating.

My italian greyhound Charlie has been with us since May. In the past month or so he's starting eating Mazy's poop. She eats Iams, he eats Royal Canin, but they both get green beans.

I started putting pineapple juice on the his and her kibbles and that worked for a few days. I tried pumpkin as suggested online but it gave Mazy diarrhea.

Now I'm adding crushed pineapple. That's not slowing Charlie down much.

I scoop every day at a minimum. I go out with them whenever they are in the backyard. Mazy has started wanting to poop between 3am and 5am. She wakes me up so that's OK. When Charlie wakes up he always needs to pee so out they both go. I'm too sleepy/lazy to let them out separately at that hour. Because our yard is so big and Mazy so quick, I can't quite get to the fresh poop before Charlie tries to get it. He never tries to eat poop that may have been dropped earlier in the day that I missed. And Mazy won't poop or pee on a leash, believe me I've tried.

It was suggested that I try adding http://www.naturvet.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage_images.tpl&category_id=15&product_id=90&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=8 to their food.

Before trying that, are there lab tests Charlie could have done to see if this is an enzyme issue?

Please try not to visualize me running out in the moonlight in my nightie to scoop up fresh poop. :ph34r

Edited by macoduck

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Been there, done that, even the frozen variety - poopsicles! Our vet had us try Forbid, however that didn't work for us, but it might for you? Kasey wanted to poop at night on purpose so he could sneak a snack! Gross I know, but I totally know where you are coming from.

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Most poop eating is behavioral, not medical. There are a lot of commercial additives you can try. None of them work eveyr time for every dog. The only way to completely control it is a muzzle with a stool guard. I know there are several places that sell muzzles in various sizes, but I don't know about the guards. You may need to improvise with duct tape (around the muzzle, not around Charlie's mouth! ;) ).

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

We have a poo eater in Hattie. I don't think there is anything this kid won't eat. Bleh. We have a muzzle with poo guard for her. She tried to eat poo when she first had it, fail. Now she knows and as long as she has it on, she doesn't search out poo. She would follow Moonbeam around just waiting.. Gross!

Love her bunches, but ew.

Mom to Macho (JS XtremeMachine 1/12/2007 -8/17/2012 ... Gotcha day 9/2/2011. I miss you BigMan)
Moonbeam (Ninos Full Moon 11/1/2009, Gotcha day 9/2/2012), Hattie (Kiowa Hats Off 4/14/2011, Gotcha day 10/13/2012), Keiva (JS Igotyourbooty 1/12/2007, Gotcha Day 1/8/2014)
Jimmy (Blu Too James 06/26/2014, Gotcha day 09/12/2015)
, a shepard mix named Tista, some cats, and some reptiles.

Yeah, I've got one, too. Dear sweet Penny would eat her own, but all 3 enjoy any rabbit or cat poop in the yard. So, muzzles with poop guards for all. The poop guards come in one size. You put them on the outside of small muzzles, and inside the larger ones. I have always gotten mine at the GEM store at either big Dewey or Spring Dewey.

I think we got ours from GEM.. We did a muzzle with poo guard order and they put it together for us lol. If I ever find poo stickers I'm putting them all over her muzzle ;)

I know brocks greyhound supply will do poo guards and you can custom your muzzle colors..we have them as well as our outside get dirty muzzles. Hattie's is purple with black straps.. So purty! We use them in the car so no one has issues or at home if someone is in a chewing mood before we leave. They are on facebook, great prices and Angela is a doll.. Awesome service

Edited by MachosMom

Mom to Macho (JS XtremeMachine 1/12/2007 -8/17/2012 ... Gotcha day 9/2/2011. I miss you BigMan)
Moonbeam (Ninos Full Moon 11/1/2009, Gotcha day 9/2/2012), Hattie (Kiowa Hats Off 4/14/2011, Gotcha day 10/13/2012), Keiva (JS Igotyourbooty 1/12/2007, Gotcha Day 1/8/2014)
Jimmy (Blu Too James 06/26/2014, Gotcha day 09/12/2015)
, a shepard mix named Tista, some cats, and some reptiles.

Pineapple? Never heard that one. My dogs like to eat it, so don't imagine it would stop them from eating it on the way out. Lol Birdie is my only poop eater and she prefers it frozen so we have a couple more months before it starts. Only cure is muzzle and stool guard here.

CollageSnap

<p>Finn, Wink, Birdie, Snap and SmokeyJG Quicknfast 7/25/99-5/16/08, JG Quickwink 7/25/99-9/22/13, Iruska SweetDuv 7/19/03-11/9/16, Delbar 6/11/11 and Catahoula Smokey

I've not used Forbid but it was recommended by a veterinary friend.

Are you also wearing your "hat" when you scoop? :lol:bighug

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M, Ebbie, HollyBeeBop (Betty Crocker).

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Drs Foster & Smith carries a plastic muzzle that comes in six sizes, and one of them might work for your IG. (Measurement instructions on their web page.)

You'd have to improvise a poop guard.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

I've not used Forbid but it was recommended by a veterinary friend.

Are you also wearing your "hat" when you scoop? :lol:bighug

:wife No, Jan, I'm not wearing my "hat", but maybe I should consider it to see if it has magical properties. I vowed not to look that awful by next Mountain Hounds and have so far lost 11 lbs. in 45 days. ;)

Edited by macoduck

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

I'm still interested to see if there could be a medical reason for my iggy to eat poop. Yes, it could just be behavioral, but there have no changes in routine in our household.

KF_in_Georgia, thanks for link.

Edited by macoduck

tiny hada siggy.png

:wife No, Jan, I'm not wearing my "hat", but maybe I should consider it to see if it has magical properties. I vowed not to look that awful by next Mountain Hounds and have so far lost 11 lbs. ;)

:clap Good for you!! :kiss2

Did Charlie's diet change?? Could he simply be hungry? Andy started to eat poop and after bumping up his noms just a bit and giving an extra, extra treat between meals he has stopped that behavior. Just a thought.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M, Ebbie, HollyBeeBop (Betty Crocker).

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

When I was doing my research years ago to get Kasey to stop, other than behavioural issues which I believe it is, I commonly came across the fact that they will eat their own feces to get more nutrients. We moved after about one year of Kasey becoming a poop eater, and started walking him instead of letting him in the yard and that for sure stopped the problem. Every now and again though, if he comes across some (cat for example in a garden on our walk or at my parents house) he seems to be just DRAWN to it.

Alternatively, if you think the image of you running around in the middle of the night is funny, go and grab some cayenne pepper and sprinkle it on the poop that's outside. I heard that is a deterent too, but I've often wondered how much of a tool box I look like, sprinkling seasoning on poop in the backyard!

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Never heard of enzyme issues causing poop eating.

Some folks have hypothesized that dietary imbalances might contribute, but nobody's shown that to be the case. Insufficient food could contribute, but not very likely in an experienced household!

It *can* occasionally help to change the food of the dog(s) whose poop is being eaten, thereby changing the scent of the poop.

Almost always appears to be behavioral. Dogs eat all kinds of disgusting things, some of them even more disgusting than poop! :lol

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

My only poop eater was Fletcher. He mostly only ate his own poop, although he'd grab feral cat poop on our walks if I wasn't fast enough. In his case, I think it was related to his IBD. Once that was diagnosed and under control, he stopped poop eating unless he was having an IBD flare up. Still went after the feral cat poop when he could, though :rolleyes:

Edited by Remolacha

geeez ...

Dear, sweet, innocent Nutmeg became a raving maniac of a poop eater for the few months she was on a lower protein diet, some years ago (suspected kidney issues). When changed back to a regular diet, her poop eating stopped.

Of course, deer, rabbit, and other species' feces are still favorites. :yuck

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Oh jeeze how I hate when Anna does this. We pick up cr** right away when Stella defecates, so Anna doesn't do this, but she will find the most minutest piece and then...aarrgghh. Yelling does no good, but makes me feel a little better. Sorry, I just can't help it!

Edited by Patclara

I've increased Charlie's food by adding some of Mazy's to it. Stopping pineapple for now as it is so much sugar.

At bedtime potty Mazy pooped and Charlie did not try to eat it. :yay

tiny hada siggy.png