How To Keep My Male From "kicking"

Our 4 year old male recently picked up the habit of kicking back the dirt after he pees and poops. We've had him 2 years and he only started doing this after staying at doggie day care for a few days while we were away. I guess he got in with the wrong crowd (at least he's not smoking!). Is there a way to train him to stop doing this? I know it has a lot to do with instinct and spreading his scent, but it's really unpleasant when you're walking him on leash and have to pick up after him and he turns and kicks dirt in your face. We quickly scold "NO", but he doesn't seem to get it.

My dogs have always done this, it is a natural thing to do. I've never tried to stop them from doing this, don't know what to tell you.

found this and many articles saying pretty much the same thing:

It is normal for dogs of both sexes to vigorously kick the ground with their hind legs after defecating. This is called scraping or peeling out. Some dogs will also do it after urinating. Dogs are descended from wolves, which also perform this behavior. It is not a bad habit, but a vital part of a dog leaving a visual message and scent message to any other dogs that happen to pass by

Read more : http://www.ehow.com/about_6620614_do-scratch-ground-after-defecating_.html

My dogs have always done this, it is a natural thing to do. I've never tried to stop them from doing this, don't know what to tell you.

found this and many articles saying pretty much the same thing:

It is normal for dogs of both sexes to vigorously kick the ground with their hind legs after defecating. This is called scraping or peeling out. Some dogs will also do it after urinating. Dogs are descended from wolves, which also perform this behavior. It is not a bad habit, but a vital part of a dog leaving a visual message and scent message to any other dogs that happen to pass by

Read more : http://www.ehow.com/about_6620614_do-scratch-ground-after-defecating_.html

:nod

Nixon always does it ..... in the exact same places each and every time we walk.

Ruby will do it the odd time.

Nigel never does.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

I agree, my dogs both do this (one is a male, the other female). I don't think there is much you can or should do to stop it as it is a natural behaviour. I have gotten some clods of dirt kicked in my face, so now I just stand in the other direction :P

Guest lemon

Tosh also loves to do this and appears so joyous that I normally don't stop him. On occasions where I feel it might be damaging to someone's nicely kept grass or other people's personal property (i.e. small rocks flying at my neighbor's car- that was fun ) I will just gently touch him on his back end and that seems to stop him. I actually catch his poop in a bag as he is going because it tends to be soft and hard to pick up. Using that method allows me to stand up right away when he's done and step outside the danger zone. Of course sometimes I forget and end up with dirt all over my shoes - but at least I know it's just dirt.

Funny that he picked this up this habit at day care.

My Alex does this "bravado" thing too, but only when there are other big dogs around that he wants to impress. At least that is how I interpret it. He doesn't do this normally. If I anticipate this behavior, and I am quick enough to correct him just as he starts, I can usually curtail it. But I am a split second late, too bad, he has to kick up earth, and there is little I can do to stop him after he is into it.

I am interested in reading everyone's comments.

Cheryl - "Mom" to RUNNER (Gunnah, born 6/15/2012) and FARGO (Ridin Shotgun, born 8/21/2015). Missing my Grey-Angels HEISMAN (RX Heisman) (3/29/2005-2/1/2016) and ALEX (Bevenly) (4/15/2005-6/7/2018).

I don't allow it because we leash walk and I don't want them destroying others yards. I say "nope" gently then give a gentle pull of the leash and call them to continue walking/move. It generally works. I wait until they're done before picking up any poop.

I'm also a "wait til they're done" type. I've learned my lesson with both snow and dirt. Generally, I try not to let them go on other people's property, but sometimes it happens and then I just have to touch Ben's butt and say ok Ben, let's go and he'll stop.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Guest normaandburrell

Both of our males did this and we learned to turn the dog slightly after he finished so that whatever he deposited was more in front of him than behind. It gave us a chance to pick it up without getting dirt kicked in our face! Sometimes he still kicked but at least we were out of the line of fire.

I would be interested to know if it's mostly males who do this, obviously my girl Sadi did it...but she could "**" her leg with the best of them too. So how many girls do it too?

<p>"One day I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am"Sadi's Pet Pages Sadi's Greyhound Data PageMulder1/9/95-21/3/04 Scully1/9/95-16/2/05Sadi 7/4/99 - 23/6/13 CroftviewRGT

My Wendy does this vigorously after urinating and defecating, but only if she's not in our yard. I guess it's her way of telling other dogs, "Wendy was here".

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

Beth does it pretty regularly. (For the record, she marks a lot, too.) A short leash and moving her on will prevent it if she is doing it in a bad spot, like someone's mulch. Or just reposition the dog so their back end isn't towards your face when picking up the poop, or wait until they're done. I would never try to "turn off" a perfectly normal dog behavior.

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

It might be more that he was exposed to a lot of other doggie pheromones and decided he needed to compete. I'm with the others: it's a perfectly normal behaviour and I don't see the need to stop it. I'll ask them to move on a pace or turn them while I pick up, so I don't get covered in divots but ... it still happens sometimes! :lol

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Sammi used to love doing this when she was younger. Usually when I was wearing sandals <_<

Now that her back end is getting weaker, it has become a very rare occurrence.

River does this almost every time. If she is feeling extra spunky, it's a scrape, scrape, scrape, SPRING, turn and face me. She is also a little OCD about her pee routine. She HAS to scrape the ground with her front paw 2x in three different spots (so 6 total) if you disrupt/distract her, she starts the process all over again.

Edited by Gryffenne

Paige and Hermon both do this, with every sign of enjoyment and enthusiasm. They both look so proud! I stand away from them and don't atempt to pick up until after they're done, not least because both have occasionally misjudged the distance and got the poop as well. Brandi attempts to mark but doesn't scratch. Benny does neither, he just bops along.

I would be interested to know if it's mostly males who do this, obviously my girl Sadi did it...but she could "**" her leg with the best of them too. So how many girls do it too?

Only my angel Gracie did the kick. She would also sometimes lift her leg to pee while my old boys squatted.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Monty never does this (and he's not much into the marking everywhere, as most boy dogs are). Allie, our girl dog, does the kick after every poop and after most pees. I usually can direct her to get onto pavement or sidewalk (so she files her own nails!) but if I don't a gentle "hey, get on the sidewalk" will get her to stop. She also is a marker - around one block she will pee about 4 times, a little here a little there, and will always pee after seeing another dog and getting huffy at it, or being barked at by another dog (even when it is inside a house and she can't see it).

• 2 weeks later...

Emmie never used to do it until she saw another girl greyhound and copied her. Our boy Harvey has started doing it as well now. They get so much pleasure out of it I don't stop them. It is often the precursor to a big, joyous zoom!

• 2 weeks later...

I've only had my 21 month old for a month and up until last week, he never kicked up the dirt. Suddenly, this week he's turned into a kick boxer after every wee when out on a walk. I wasn't sure whether to stop it but since most of you are experiencing the same thing, then I'll let my boy show the neighbourhood "who's the man."