How Long Can You Leave A Muzzle On?

Guest Ellums

Background: About two weeks ago on February 8th at 5:00 p.m. our Preacher learned how to counter surf. He ate 12 protein bars and a leftover bag of popcorn. Alright- we moved food into the kitchen and closed it off. Then he got into our CANNED sardines and opened them up and ate the fish. Then later when my husband left him alone for ~ 3 minutes he managed to get a roll of paper towels.

He only does this when we aren't there.

I don't understand, he's never had a problem like this before. He tried to chew a little when we got him 6 months ago, but with a little coaxing from us he stopped.

We crate him, but I feel bad cooping him up for 10 or more hours a day.

Our new solution is to keep a muzzle on him when we aren't able to observe him.

My question: Is there a maximum number of hours to keep a muzzle on him? Doing it for a few hours while we go to see friends seems ok, but is 10 hours when we are at work too much?

Yup, Barbie had to wear her kennel muzzle for 23 hrs a day when she had surgery on her foot otherwise she would just rip her bandage off. We only took it off when she could be fully supervised which was not long. The only problem she had was that she couldn't groom, and she really likes to primp and preen. When we took her muzzle off whilst supervised she went a bit nuts with the preening, slobbering all over herself lol ... but no harm done

You've had him for about 6-8 months, with some minor counter surfing right after you got him. Now, he's feeling comfortable and settled in his new home, so he's going back to some not-so-good behaviors. Make sure you have a completely dog-proofed house - keep food off the counters, keep doors closed to rooms with destructible things in it.

If you need to leave him, baby gate him in a room with no hazards and a comfy dog bed. Give him a Kong filled with frozen peanut butter to keep him occupied. make sure he has enough exercise in the mornings before you leave.

You can easily leave him in a normal kennel muzzle all day. He can eat and drink, and even lick a Kong with one on. Of course, he may learn how to get it off, then you are back to square one.

Good luck!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I have a babygate in the doorway of the kitchen so the dogs can't get in there. I have very little cupboard space so there's just no way to keep everything out of their reach other than to just keep them out of there.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Guest jbbuzby

My male will occasionally go for things when he's bored, including dangerous things like computer wires (?!). He, subsequently, is now always muzzled when unsupervised, including at night and when we go to work (so...18-20 hours a day during the week).

I'll warn you, you may need a stool guard if he's determined. A muzzle alone didn't stop my guy from destroying items that could fit between the bars. Even after the stool guard, I had to tape around the part right under his jaw...he's ridiculous. Since then it's not been a problem. Hope it works for you!

Learned about a product at the conference I just got back from. It's called Scraminal. It's an alarm you set on your counter. It has a laser beam which, when broken, sounds an alarm to startle the offender. As soon as the beam is restored the alarm stops and resets. I did something similar in the past by booby trapping my counter. I use empty pop cans that I put coins and nails into. I string them together and tie the string to the bait. The bait should be enticing but not easily consumable. I usually use a bully stick. You set the bait at the front of the counter and the cans at the back. When the dog takes the bait the cans come clattering down with it. Of course this doesn't reset itself and you need to be nearby to grab the bait so the dog doesn't then get rewarded.

Either way, the idea is to provide an appropriate startle, without overly traumatizing the dog. Keep your counters clear, use baby gates and muzzles when you can't supervise, and some sort of "alarm" to discourage the dog and also alert you.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Guest lynne893

I don't want to flame or start an argument or anything like that, but I kind of giggle when people suggest baby gates....

The rescue groups tell us we need 6' fencing around our yards, but why do people think a baby gate will keep a greyhound out of an area?

It never worked for me. They either knocked it over or jumped over it. Must work for some, though, because I always see it recommended!

Just made me laugh, that's all :)

I don't want to flame or start an argument or anything like that, but I kind of giggle when people suggest baby gates....

The rescue groups tell us we need 6' fencing around our yards, but why do people think a baby gate will keep a greyhound out of an area?

It never worked for me. They either knocked it over or jumped over it. Must work for some, though, because I always see it recommended!

Just made me laugh, that's all :)

Because they work and every dog is different. We have had 8 greyhounds in our house and every one of them respected the baby gate.

Until it is established that a baby gate will not work for a particular dog, it should be considered as a valid way to keep a dog in or out of an area in your home.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

My dogs jump higher obstacles in agility. They don't jump the baby gate. For one thing it is hardwood on one see and linoleum on the other. Footing makes a difference!

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Mine absolutely respect baby gates. I have one that won't even walk over or around a folded up paper grocery bag if it's on the floor of a hallway. Of course every dog is different, but most respect boundaries. I also think for most greyhound a 4' fence is adequate. Obviously there are some exceptions.

I also think being out in a yard with a shorter fence is a bit different than being in the house with a baby gate. They can get a good running start in the yard, or see a squirrel or bunny take off outside that might trigger their prey drive. I know my local group always makes note if a dog seems to be a jumper and cautions that they should have a 6-foot fence if they are turned out in a yard. I think on average it's not usually an issue.

Edited by k9soul

Because they work and every dog is different. We have had 8 greyhounds in our house and every one of them respected the baby gate.

Until it is established that a baby gate will not work for a particular dog, it should be considered as a valid way to keep a dog in or out of an area in your home.

Heck, Patrick was detered by a body pillow across the doorway. :)

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

I wouldn't recommend a baby gate if it didn't work :rolleyes:

If a dog jumps a single gate, put another one above it in the doorway!

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Guest jbbuzby

As someone with one greyhound who will actively try to get over any type of gate or barrier (he has weird anxiety/confinement issues), I'd still recommend giving baby gates a try. *Most* greyhounds are low key, and don't want to bother putting in the time and energy it would take to figure out how to hop or climb a gate. My female would be the type to not go beyond a box if it was in the doorway, which I understand is the other extreme, but for *most* dogs that are well stimulated and well exercised, gates seem to do the trick. Some of us are just "lucky" enough to live with the exception to the rule ;).

My dogs always respect the baby gates. However, the vice-president of our adoption group posted a video of her greyhound lifting the lever on the baby gate and holding it open for other dogs to get out.

As smart as I think my dogs are, I don't think they will figure out the workings of the baby gate any time soon and they appear to be too lazy to try go over it. So I think I am fairly safe.

Edited by Acadianarose

61bd4941-fc71-4135-88ca-2d22dbd4b59a_zps

Payton, The Greyhound (Palm City Pelton) and Toby, The Lab
Annabella and Julietta, The Cats
At the Bridge - Abby, The GSD

If your dog is now getting into food - put up the food. Much simpler than muzzling or crating. Just don't leave food out. Also - the old stand-by - up the exercise level. Tire the dog out before you leave it alone. And - leave it with a stuffed Kong or a puzzle toy to occupy it.

We muzzle Toley. Now that he is comfortable, he finds all sorts of things to chew - pine cones, plastic (anything plastic!), toys that aren't his. He wears his muzzle 4-8 hrs a day, no more. When we are home, we supervise him. Its just when we are at work, or out for an evening.

Mom to Toley (Astascocita Toley) DOB 1/12/09, and Bridge Angel Opie (Wine Sips Away) 3/14/03-12/29/12