X-Rays

Not all mine have needed anesthesia. How is Robin on a regular visit?

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

I'm not sure if anything is going on. Hope not. But he has had a little warty-like bump on his foot for a little bit now. And I just noticed that his foot appears a little swollen around it now. But he did do a pretty long hike today and yesterday, and he probably overdid it. Or maybe there's a little infection. Could be a lot of things. He's not acting like it hurts.

But you all know how it is....I can't ignore the sudden upset stomach I have. So I will be calling the vet in the morning, just in case (I was going to anyway....there's a bump on his eyelid I don't like). And I don't think I could handle wondering, so I would consider asking for x-rays. But I was wondering what that will mean as far as anesthesia or not, and as far as cost.

Having a hard time focusing on the report I'm trying to write for work. A little distracted, even though there is nothing I can do until morning regardless.

He's good at the vet. But nervous in the exam room, and he will not lay down. He wouldn't even lay down on a nice cozy bed the one time we tried accupuncture.

Cathy & Calvin (DOB 9/18/13). Always missing my angel Robin (Abdo Bullard).

I've had a lot of hounds x-rayed for one reason or another in the last 8 1/2 years. Most were fine without any meds. Sometimes the views were just too painful and drugs were given. That's not too likely for a foot or a chest. When they were medicated, it was sedation or a pain drug, not a full general anesthetic.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Bee Wiseman wasn't sedated for the leg X-rays the vet took to diagnose her osteo. Holly has had several sets of X-rays on one of her feet. No sedation necessary for her either.

Thinking good thoughts for Robin. :goodluck

4894718087_9910a46faa_d.jpg

Tricia with Kyle, our senior mutt dog 
Always missing Murray MaldivesBee Wiseman, River, Hopper, Kaia, and 
Holly Oaks Holly
“You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.“          -Bob Dylan

I've had four greyhounds xrayed now, and none have ever needed anesthesia to get good scans (xrays have included lungs, bladder, kidney, leg, and probably something else I'm forgetting).

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Guest Scouts_mom

My big brave (NOT) Henry recently needed a series of x-rays of his shoulder and chest. Because he was terrified, my vet gave him a very light anesthesia. I don't know what it was, but I trust my very grey-savvy vet and he was back to normal very quickly. He did scream the GSD while he was being prepared for the x-rays, so my vet warned the surgeon we were sent to so she did not have heart failure if she wasn't aware of GSDs. However he did not scream at the surgeon's--maybe he had given up and was accepting his fate.

What was the problem? Silly Henry had swallowed a sewing needle and it was stuck in his stomach's lining.

:goodluck Sending good thoughts.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

This is all very reassuring....thank you, everyone. It is good to know that x-rays-to-stop-mom's-stomachache should likely be less involved than I had feared. I will see what the vet thinks upon looking at it. When I took him out after his nap, he wasn't even limping on it, so maybe that is a good sign. If it were swelling because "something" was getting bigger or worse, I would think it would be getting more painful and obvious. But the "warty-thing" is definitely different....and bumps that change are bad.....so off we go. Hopefully I can get him in tomorrow so I don't have a nervous breakdown for more than a day.

Haven't mentioned this on facebook yet, even to ask for good thoughts. That makes it real. And I'm not sure it's anything to be real yet. You know?

Easier said than done, but DON'T worry. :heart Don't try to cross a bridge unless you come upon one.

There are a bazillion oddball reasons why a limb or foot or toe would swell. I should know -- Aston's thought up every non-cancerous reason in the book ;)

:grouphug

Aston's had back, hip, knee, hock, wrist, and foot xrays, all without sedation. He's not traumatized by vet clinics, though they also aren't his favorite, since he's been in/out of them about ~50 times in the last 6 months.

He should be fine. Ask for a hit for yourself though! ;)

Checking for an update...................

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

We have an appt this afternoon. Though it is with another vet in the practice, I like him too. Not sure if xrays are an option there, but I definitely want it looked at. And get this.... This morning Robin tore a toenail out on the very same foot! It looked like a murder scene. I cleaned and wrapped it, but I guess I may as well have them look at that booboo as well.

I think this dog may be the cause of most of my gray hairs. Sigh.

We are home and fed. And I am pleased to say that I feel a lot better. Spent nearly an hour with the vet (wow!) discussing his booboo foot and various other things, and she thinks it is most likely an abrasion/soft tissue injury, rather than any type of c-word. Today the "bump" was more scabby, and the foot looked more bruised, the timing and presentation of which is consistent with the possibility that he banged it being a crazy dog hiking in snow this weekend. I pushed, discussing osteo, and the other type of c for feet squam....whatever) and she had good explanations for her reasoning. And she really is a "worst case" type person, so I feel fairly reassured. Of course, I could have pushed for x-rays today, but I decided to take her advice and give it a week or so to see how/if it changes.

And yes, he now has one less toenail. On that same foot. Ripped it right out. And yet, he's acting like it doesn't bug him at all. So I have wound care to do, but not much else unless I see some changing.

Feeling calmer. Knowing you can never be 100% sure of anything, even with x-rays. But feeling calmer.

Thanks everyone!