Trazodone For Anxiety

My Mazy (age 2.5) gets so terrified during fireworks that she continues to act terrified the next day. A GTer told of using trazodone with success.

I discussed this with my vet and she agreed to let us try it. Although there have been no fireworks lately, I decided to give Mazy a dose before our vet visit today. At each visit she has worked herself up needlessly and whines loudly non-stop. She loves this vet so I don't know why she stresses so badly.

Mazy had 1/2 of a 100mg trazodone at 7:30. Her appointment was at 8:30. She walked in calmly and wagging her tail. She was calm and cooperative with the vet tech.

Mazy recognized Dr Dixon (a former Dr Couto student) with a happy wagging tail and kiss. And Dr D immediately noticed Mazy's calmer demeanor. We discussed the trazodone and she gave Mazy a thorough exam, alert for any possible side effects. All OK.

We will only use the trazodone for fireworks and other possible extreme stressors.

The funny part about today was first, that I missed my hyper zoomie crazy girl during the hours she was medicated. She was acting calm like my old senior buys used to do.

Exactly 8 hours after getting the half pill Mazy acted like someone had flipped a switch. She was back to normal and as goofy and zooming as usual. If I have to use it for another vet visit when she's stressing, I will probably only give her 1/4 pill.

Other good news today was that we have finally rid her of bacteria from her vaginal fold. No episioplasty! Just cleansing wipes and watching to see if she licks too much down there.

My question for others who use trazodone and vet/medical folks:

Is trazodone ever used on a long-term basis for dogs with severe separation anxiety? It seems like it may be safer than clomiclam.

If a dog is on trazodone and then has to have sedation for a medical emergency, will the trazodone complicate things?

My vet did not carry trazodone but had given us an Rx for the people pharmacy (very inexpensive). Is this a med that is not normally on hand at a vet office?

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Our first greyhound, Gracie, had extreme SA. she was miserable and destructive. We were miserable and running out of patience. It took about 3+ months so start and end her on it.

If trazodone could be used in place of, or as a lead in while clomiclam took effect, perhaps there would be fewer returned greyhounds.

An owner should still do the SA training but this might help the dog understand it sooner.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

tiny hada siggy.png

Trazadone is a fairly new drug for canine use. It's an off-label usage of a human drug, like most anti-anxiety treatments being used today. I believe it's mostly been used for situational anxiety (like thunder or fireworks) and not for long-term use. Though in reading about it, it has been used like diazepam for generalized anxiety in people with good effect. I think it's mostly a matter of dosing. Like xanax, it needs to be given every 8 hours or so, instead of once a day like an SSRI.

Our Cash is on daily Paxil, but she also gets an additional boost of xanax or trazadone for storms (or fireworks when we have them). So they can be used together. I don't know about how it interacts with traditional sedation, but I've never had it be an issue the couple of times I've had to take Cash in to the e-vet for stitches while she's been on them.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

My vet just prescribed it for Lucky to give daily. I give 1 pill in the morning and 1 at night. I can give up to 6 per day as needed for fireworks, vet visits, etc.

Lucky had a dental last Wed and was totally flipping out. They gave him 2 pills when he first got to the clinic and 1 after he woke up after the dental. Did not have any effect on sedition. My vet said it works really well with greyhounds and he is using it more and more.

gallery_2213_3086_11460.jpg

Kari and the pups.
Run free sweet Hana 9/21/08-9/12/10. Missing Sparks with every breath.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

I tried to get it from my vet because my little girlie gets really frantic at the vet's. She has four laser treatments coming up and I wanted to try it to see how she did. Well, he said he preferred to have her take valium. Sigh...............so we will be trying that on Thursday for her next visit.

Aljo Atomic Kogo and DC Man of Steal

I tried to get it from my vet because my little girlie gets really frantic at the vet's. She has four laser treatments coming up and I wanted to try it to see how she did. Well, he said he preferred to have her take valium. Sigh...............so we will be trying that on Thursday for her next visit.

That's a bummer

Trazodone is so cheap. I can get 200 pills for $10

gallery_2213_3086_11460.jpg

Kari and the pups.
Run free sweet Hana 9/21/08-9/12/10. Missing Sparks with every breath.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

If he's open to it, you can print out some of the research above. It is a new drug for most vets, and some are just reluctant to try new things.

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

We often write scripts for trazodone-it does work well (we don't stock it). I'm not sure about giving it long term-have to get back to you about that :-)

.....and yes, it's inexpensive which helps :-)

Some follow up-- did some prodding around and it seems most vets are comfortable prescribing trazodone for long term use not just for acute situations. It's still a new drug for some clinicans so, your personal vet might not be on board with its use yet.

Some follow up-- did some prodding around and it seems most vets are comfortable prescribing trazodone for long term use not just for acute situations. It's still a new drug for some clinicans so, your personal vet might not be on board with its use yet.

I wonder if it would help Iker...

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Poor Iker :-(. I would ask for a script and try it once at home to see how he reacts prior to trying it in a more stressful situation. You may have to adjust the dosage. It's very inexpensive so, if it turns out it's not beneficial for him it's not such an insult to your wallet.

Have you tried other medications already for Iker? Any effect at all if you have?

Glad the Trazadone is helping Maya. I'm going to check out the articles that have been linked to since I'm not particularly familiar with it.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

While trazodone has helped Mazy, this thread shows that there can be issues when combined with Prozac.

http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php/topic/305334-urgent-need-advice-for-truman/?do=findComment&comment=5657541

tiny hada siggy.png

I just posted in Alicia's thread. I do give Cash trazadone on top of her paxil - an SARI on top of an SSRI, like the prozac and trazadone Truman got - with no problems at all. :dunno