Update On Clarice

We were off to a little bit of a rocky start with Clarice. I expected she would be a bit of a challenge since she is very young, but, I did NOT expect that she would be afraid of Ozzie, who is really a "go-along" kind of guy - I just never thought that ANY dog would ever feel threatened by him.

In traveling this road with her, I still wonder if part of her insecurities were due to the fact that she IS so young and never raced - she flunked out of training. Really the only other dogs she had to be in close proximity to were her littermates.

Anyway, tomorrow marks 1 month since Clarice came home. She no longer seems afraid or threatened by Ozzie and they often engage in quick running play outside (it's very quick because it's SO cold outside and Ozzie is NOT fond of that).

She sits before being let into her crate for meals and for treats:

She loves toys and plays with them frequently. I was pretty nervous about that at first, since that's how Ozzie ended up getting his ear all scratched up (10 stitches). She's spent a lot of time muzzled in the house, and they are muzzled when they go outside. She has not been muzzled when in the house for a few days now and she's doing fine, but, my eyes are on her all the time. I'm a little gunshy after what happened with Ozzie.

She is kenneled when I am at work and she does fine with that. She's a busy little bee and gets into EVERYTHING so it will be a very long time before I'd be comfortable leaving her uncrated when I'm not here.

Back to the busy little bee thing...I adopted Ace when she was just over 2 years old, but, it was JUNE. It's WINTER here and very cold (-40something windchill coming tonight), so it's a little harder to tire Clarice out. I try to encourage her to run run run out in the yard, but we can only be out for so long. People in my neighborhood are jerks and don't shovel the sidewalk, so, walking is a dangerous activity around here. So that leaves us with doing training activities indoors to keep her busy. She's doing well with "go to your place" as well as sit. I think we're going to work on turning/spinning next. She's a smart little monkey.

Socially, our next step is to take her to meet mom and dad's dogs. We're trying to wait until it's at least warm enough to take a quick walk with them though. I've thought about taking her to Petco or Petsmart but I'm not sure if we're ready for that yet.

Anyway, this has been long. I think we're on the right track and I'm glad that we've made such progress. :)

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

she's lovely!!!

and I feel your pain. Both our boyz are pretty active, but Zeke is a crazy man. It's been WAY too cold, way too snowy and icy for any walks in the past 1.5 weeks and he's going nuts. Larry can't do ANYTHING since his webbing is tore up so he's even worse off.

I HATE WINTER!

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

She sounds a lot like Baby. She is only two and has a ton of energy. She was shy at first also, and is smart as a whip and learns things very quickly.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest grey_dreams

She is really beautiful. She was sending a ton of appeasement signals with the number of lip-licks. Glad to hear it's going better between Clarice and Ozzie. Hope his ear has healed up well.

Edited by grey_dreams

I dont think that's appeasement in this case...she is waiting to be let into her kennel so she can eat her breakfast. She LOVES to eat :lol

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

Ozzie and Clarice ran 5 or 6 laps in the yard together tonight :yay A rousing game of chase that I suspect would have gone longer if it weren't so darned cold outside!

Clarice likes for Ozzie to chase her (interesting given her initial fear of him :lol ). He stopped to pee and she ran over to him hopping up and down waiting for him to finish so they could run some more.

I think our focus now needs to be 1) seeing how she does meeting other dogs, and 2) working on possessive behaviors - she does not care about ME but she does care about HIM. If she is on the dog bed (her place), and he comes over she has snapped at him. Any advice on dealing with that?

I could, but, driving for 10 minutes seems silly for a short walk. We'd spend more time driving than walking.

They're cold within 10 minutes of being outside (or less), so, really they'd just be getting dressed to go ride in the car :lol Which isn't a bad thing, per se, but...in that case I should just take them for car rides :lol

Arrange for him to approach when she's on her bed and give her a fabulous treat BEFORE she snarks at him.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.