Asking The Experts

I don't even know how to explain what has been going on with Ruby. You know that feeling you get in your tummy when something is off ? I have had that for the last few days.

For the last few weeks, Ruby has been getting up and going to each person in the room over and over and over, which she has never done before. She usually just ignores everyone. We can't leave the room without her coming to check on us if we are gone more than a minute or so. I don't think this has anything to do with the holidays because nothing has changed and no one came over except my grandbabies and son, who she adores. To say she is clingy is an understatement, and she didn't do this even when she was new. No new foods or changes in exercise. No tension in the house. Today when I went to lay down to read (like I do every single day), she came into the room and crawled into her crate, which she has never done except for at bedtime. She stayed there until I got up. Tonight at dinner I put some popcorn into her bowl, which is her favorite snack of all time. She ate around the popcorn and left it all in the bowl. This has never ever happened. No fireworks going on, no rearranging of furniture, nothing. I just have that feeling she is trying to tell us something.

The only thing that I can see physically is that she is shedding terribly, but this happens every year.

Any ideas ?

Karen

You're packing. She's worried because her world is getting all upset. It comes out in new behaviors and being a velcro dog.

I have to hide suitcases and boxes if I'm packing because the dogs get freaked out.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

We only cleaned out a closet but haven't packed anything yet. We also decided not to move yet because prices for bigger houses are insane.

I don't think the cleaning would affect her since it is pretty common around here.

She just ran to her crate for no reason. I even went outside to see if there were any fireworks and I cannot hear a thing. I just went and talked to her for a while and she seems fine, no panting or shaking like when she is scared.

There is something wrong !

Edited by Busderpuddle

Karen

So sorry this is going on! I second a getting a once-over at the vet to see if something is off, but there were times I thought Shadow was nuts, as he was acting scared and I didn't hear anything and later on found out there *were* scary sounds outside, (fireworks, fire truck sirens, etc) but I didn't hear them. (Too far away)

Good luck getting to the bottom of things!

First I would take her in for a check up. You know your dog better than anyone, and if you think there is something wrong, there is. However, it doesn't necessarily mean something terrible! Someone on GT (and I don't remember who :blush ) described it as "random greyhound quirkiness" :lol It could be something minor, that you didn't even notice. You may never know, but if the vet checks her out as OK, then try not to worry :) I don't know how old Ruby is, but I have noticed that all my animals have gotten more clingy as they have gotten older.

My mom has been going through the closets at her house, weeding out the things that she doesnt want anymore. Goody was very upset by this and has been super clingy.

My kitty was suddenly very clingy and more vocal than normal a few years ago...turns out she had a thyroid issue.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Guest kkaiser104

First I would take her in for a check up. You know your dog better than anyone, and if you think there is something wrong, there is. However, it doesn't necessarily mean something terrible! Someone on GT (and I don't remember who :blush ) described it as "random greyhound quirkiness" :lol It could be something minor, that you didn't even notice. You may never know, but if the vet checks her out as OK, then try not to worry :) I don't know how old Ruby is, but I have noticed that all my animals have gotten more clingy as they have gotten older.

This. Last summer when I was moving out of my house Teddi started peeing. On everything. He'd come inside from our walk (where I made sure he'd potty) and just let loose all over the floor of my living room. The first time he did it I thought it was a quirk, but the 2nd and 3rd times it happened I got that gut feeling. Several of my dog-savvy friends told me it was because of the move, he was stressed, hot weather made him drink more, etc.. but I had a gut feeling and took him to the vet. He had an awful UTI (not very common with boys) and was fixed up in a few weeks with some antibiotics.

How old is Ruby? Dogs can get dementia. :( Any new smells in the house? Any vision problems?

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Is any human in the house ill? Dogs can be very intuitive about us.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Is any human in the house ill? Dogs can be very intuitive about us.

This kind of freaks me out a bit.....I know a lady who's dog would not leave her alone, kept getting into her face and smelling her breath and just would not stop. She had been avoiding a colonoscopy for years and decided to have one because of her dog. She ended up having stage 3 colon cancer. I know dogs are so intuitive. Weird coincidence is my colonoscopy is scheduled for next week.

And, my husband is having surgery in 2 weeks but there is no way she would know that since it is minor and no one is freaking out.

No vision problems that I know of, what are common dementia symptoms in dogs ? Never thought about that. I pray this isn't happening, I am not ready to have anything wrong with my girl at all (not that we ever are). She is the first dog I have ever felt so attached to. Love her !

Ruby is 6 1/2.

Edited by Busderpuddle

Karen

This kind of freaks me out a bit.....I know a lady who's dog would not leave her alone, kept getting into her face and smelling her breath and just would not stop. She had been avoiding a colonoscopy for years and decided to have one because of her dog. She ended up having stage 3 colon cancer. I know dogs are so intuitive. Weird coincidence is my colonoscopy is scheduled for next week.

And, my husband is having surgery in 2 weeks but there is no way she would know that since it is minor and no one is freaking out.

No vision problems that I know of, what are common dementia symptoms in dogs ? Never thought about that. I pray this isn't happening, I am not ready to have anything wrong with my girl at all (not that we ever are). She is the first dog I have ever felt so attached to. Love her !

Ruby is 6 1/2.

I didn't want to freak you out. It could have been as simple as a cold or the flu that was worrying Ruby. Or she senses that you are worried(?) about your procedure? If that's not the case, what Chris and Kristin said about packing; what seems minimal to us could be traumatic to them. Or, is she suddenly wearing jammies or a coat that is causing static? I've seen that happen plenty of times. I'm just full of ideas :flip Srsly, I hope that your and DH's procs go well and that Ruby is just realizing that she loves you more than she thought she did.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Sort of an aside but I see people say UTI's are not common in males but my boys are the ONLY ones that ever get them. My girls never had UTI's.

Skimmie gets UTI's ALL.THE.TIME.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

Sort of an aside but I see people say UTI's are not common in males but my boys are the ONLY ones that ever get them. My girls never had UTI's.

Skimmie gets UTI's ALL.THE.TIME.

You sort of lost me on this one ???? She isn't showing any symptoms of UTI's and doesn't ask to go out more than her usual 3 times a day.

Karen

kkaiser mentioned her boy had a UTI and she said it is not that common in boys.

Sorry, should have quoted her post so it made more sense when I posted.

My little Japanese Chin who has always been pretty independent since I got her at 6 years old, started following me around, settling down in whichever room I was in. Eventually I decided it was because she was going deaf and seeing me was the only way she knew where I was.

Miss "England" Carol with whippet lurcher Nutmeg & Zavvi the Chihuahua.

R.I.P. Chancey (Goosetree Chance). 24.1.2009 - 14.4.2022. Bluegrass Banjoman. 25.1.2004 - 25.5.2015 and Ch. Sleepyhollow Aida. 30.9.2000 - 10.1.2014.