Heart Breaking Decision

Guest Amis_Ma

Wow! The only thing in that letter that I agree with is the statement that your dog is not good for a first time dog owner.

I am utterly amazed that the trainer got physical with her. She pulled her down the stairs?! Your dog doesn't trust you, she's certainly not going to trust that person. That was WAY too much for your dog to handle.

I am very sorry you're going through this. Your trainer failed you and your dog. I wish you the best in whatever decision you make.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow! The only thing in that letter that I agree with is the statement that your dog is not good for a first time dog owner.

I am utterly amazed that the trainer got physical with her. She pulled her down the stairs?! Your dog doesn't trust you, she's certainly not going to trust that person. That was WAY too much for your dog to handle.

Yep.

If I try to respond to the "trainer" email, my head will explode and the house will catch fire. So I'll leave it as RMarie says. Egad.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Clawsandpaws

Holy smokes. Even after two years, if I tried pushing Dudley into a sit, he would bite me! I have MINIMAL experience with dog training/behaviors and I know better to NEVER do 99% of these things with ANY dog. I cannot believe what I just read!!!

This poor dog is TERRIFIED, insecure, and hopefully someone with an ounce of brains in the adoption group will recognize that and get the dog into an APPROPRIATE home. I seriously hope this "trainers" (who btw, in my opinion are not equipped to make this kind of behavioral assessment) email does not have this dog destroyed.

I CANNOT believe that Ami didn't bite this person!

ETA: I am not directing any of this at you, Amis_Ma. I re-read what I wrote and it seemed too angry.

I just cannot believe the trainer did these things. I am flabbergasted!

Edited by Clawsandpaws

Guest Amis_Ma

Update: adoption agency is picking her up tonight (they are not happy with me). The person who runs the agency is going to keep her for the time being and try to work with her in hopes of rehoming her.

I am crushed.

Logging out now...not sure when or if I can show face on here again.

I think after reading that, most of US want to bite the "trainer." What a disaster.

Edited to add: Wrote that before I read your last post. I'm really sorry it's come to this. The group shouldn't be unhappy with you, they should be taking a LARGE part of the responsibility for the situation. I hope when things have calmed down, you'll consider seeking out a different group that can find you the right dog. Greyhounds are so incredibly special.

Edited by vjgrey

Valerie w/ Cash (CashforClunkers) & Lucy (Racing School Dropout)
Missing our gorgeous Miss
Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.

You've done nothing wrong, Amis_Ma.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Clawsandpaws

Update: adoption agency is picking her up tonight (they are not happy with me). The person who runs the agency is going to keep her for the time being and try to work with her in hopes of rehoming her.

I am crushed.

Logging out now...not sure when or if I can show face on here again.

Very sorry it happened this way. Your group should be ashamed of themselves for behaving they way they are. They should be there SUPPORTING you.

I have sent an e-mail to the OP in hopes that I can reassure her that Greyhounds are an incredible breed and her first experience is not typical and should not be her last. I'll wait and see whether she is willing to communicate with me as I know she must be heartbroken as I would be too.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Oh my heart breaks... amis_ma you did everything you could. SHAME on that trainer and the group.

Thanks Charlies_Dad! I hope you can help. Im too far away in Florida but I really really want her to know this is not the norm.

Mom to Macho (JS XtremeMachine 1/12/2007 -8/17/2012 ... Gotcha day 9/2/2011. I miss you BigMan)
Moonbeam (Ninos Full Moon 11/1/2009, Gotcha day 9/2/2012), Hattie (Kiowa Hats Off 4/14/2011, Gotcha day 10/13/2012), Keiva (JS Igotyourbooty 1/12/2007, Gotcha Day 1/8/2014)
Jimmy (Blu Too James 06/26/2014, Gotcha day 09/12/2015)
, a shepard mix named Tista, some cats, and some reptiles.

I have sent an e-mail to the OP in hopes that I can reassure her that Greyhounds are an incredible breed and her first experience is not typical and should not be her last. I'll wait and see whether she is willing to communicate with me as I know she must be heartbroken as I would be too.

Thank you Charlies_Dad. No one should be made to feel bad for returning an animal that isn't a good fit. Yes, those are those that bounce dogs for frivolous reasons, but I would never lump the OP in that category. I hope that once the dust settles, she'll consider adopting another greyhound. Whatever anyone may think of the trainer, she did praise the OP as a dog owner. That is a plus.

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

The OPs adoption group has totally failed her, in my opinion. Not only did they give her an inappropriate dog, they offered minimal support, employed incompetent trainers, and gave her a load of sh$t when she tried to do the right thing. They set Ami and her home up to fail and couldn't even admit it.

Please, please, amis mom, don't give up on greyhounds! You should think about Ami's time with you like a foster situation - you had her for a while and now the group knows her personality better and can (hopefully, because they are idiots) find her a better home. We have had a couple resource guarders here and they can be managed successfully by an experienced owner. Talk to Kyla and to Maggie and they can help you find a better group to work with so you can feel the joy of adopting a greyhound companion that's right for you!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I usually don't post on this topic, but I want to say just a couple of things.

1. I now have 3 awesome greys but NOT ONE of them will sit on command, and I personally don't care if they will! That was a stupid thing for the trainer to do. This is just not important in the scheme of things.

2. I have had a grumpy grey and I was scared of her occasionally as well. I wouldn't give back my wonderful memories of her for anything. We worked through all of her aggression but the truth of the matter is that she was not my 1st dog ever. BUT we did consider returning her.

3. I have also returned a dog who was not a good fit for my family. Then, I adopted another grey from the same group.

I do understand why you are considering returning Ami. Please know that it is not because of you that Ami is the way she is! GOOD LUCK!

The minute I started reading that trainer's write up my heart sunk. I don't even know what to say. It embodies everything that is still wrong with the dog training profession, that there are no actual requirements to call oneself a dog trainer or behaviorist, that many that do aren't educated in even the basics of dog learning & behavior, and many absolutely don't have the skills to evaluate a dog and give appropriate guidance to the owner on how to work with the dog.

And the group making you feel bad for your decision, all around just a sad situation.

Mostly I hope that the group has a better handle on what this dog needs to adjust and chooses to find her an appropriate home.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Wow on the trainer. Teasing a dog with cheese? Trying to force a sit? Forcing stairs? Good grief. Obviously absolutely no understanding of the retired racing greyhound.

I wish we knew where in Canada this person is. If on Vancouver Island by some chance there is lots of great support here.

Amis_Ma please do show your face here again. The right dog is out there and he/she really needs you. (And I think you might need them).

Just in case Amis_mom comes back to read this after things settle...

As I mentioned, I made a few mistakes with my greys. Capri came to us with sleep startle. While most of the time we respected her bed space, once I did try to pet her when she was on her bed and she snapped at me. Got me in the forehead, but fortunately not a bite. She's extremely good at bite inhibition and what she did was just bang her front teeth against my forehead. It got my attention. I felt like a fool and never did that again. However, I did take about 2 calm, casual years to gradually teach her not to be sleep-startled. We still respect her in her night time bed, but now she knows that furniture is shared space. Now we cuddle and nap together on the couch.

We also had an anxiety issue with Ajax. When we first got him, we thought he was an undisciplined squirrel-brain on the leash. It took us a couple weeks to realize that he was just anxious and afraid of being in a new place. We backed off to very short walks with him, gradually making them longer over weeks which taught him that our neighborhood is a safe place. Once he gained confidence in the new home and us, he stopped being a freakazoid.

And if you do try again with another greyhound, set aside any thoughts of training for the first six months. Do enforce house manners (no jumping on the counter, etc), but don't worry about sit or down or doing anything on command. Use that time instead to get to know and trust each other. When the new dog is ready to learn, he will let you know. He'll become clearly engaged with you, ready to learn. We also tried to give Ajax some training too early and he would avoid looking at us so we assumed he was kind of stupid. We did manage to teach him to down by hand signal and that's it. So we dropped it altogether. But about eight months later, as I reached for a treat box, he downed himself and gazed at me with the most direct, eager, sparkly eyes you'd ever seen. Exactly like an eager student, sitting at my feet, eager to hear a story. Since then, he's learned lots of things, including sit.

Greyhounds are just sensitive and don't respond well to being forced to do things they're no comfortable with. I remember one new couple who took their new dog home and tried to use the "tuck and fold" method to teach him to sit the first day. They were telling me a few days later that he would run away from them whenever they got too close. Fortunately they were smart enough to realize that was a problem and stopped and rebuilt their relationship without any pressure to sit.

Sharon, Loki, Freyja, Capri (bridge angel and most beloved heart dog), Ajax (bridge angel) and Sweetie Pie (cat)

Visit Hound-Safe.com by Something Special Pet Supplies for muzzles and other dog safety products

:gh_bow

I agree with everyone on here that this "trainer" completely failed both of them. I too was made to feel guilty when we returned our first dog which is why I ended up going to a different adoption group and got my bounce, who I mentioned earlier turned out to be my heart dog. I just really really hope that she doesn't give up on greyhounds all together because of this situation. She needs to work with another group and hopefully consider taking a bounce instead. All three of mine have been bounces and they have all been wonderful.

Jodie D (hope to have another grey name her soon)
Missing my Bridge Babies:
Rusty (Cut a Rusty) 10/18/95-06/09/09
Solo (Tali Solo Nino) 01/10/98-03/25/10
Franny (Frohmader) 02/28/04-08/31/17

I have done the same thing. I got lots of support when I first got Nike who was my first dog too.

This made me so sad to read. Poor Ami must have been terrified and OP must have been heartbroken watching it. I can’t imagine what it must be like to have these issues with your dog and having no support (that matters, anyway) from your adoption group.

Payton had more issues than I expected, and I don’t know what I would have done if I had not been able to call up my adoption group for help. There are so many wonderful, experienced people on GT that have helped so many times, but my adoption group knows my dog. They were invaluable to getting through the rough times.

Payton is incredibly sweet and wants to please, but I can’t imagine him tolerating what that trainer put Ami through. And I am not sure if he would not bite me if I tried to take a bone away from him. He would certainly growl. And he trusts me!

You did not do anything wrong, Ami_Ma. Your group failed you and Ami. They have no reason to be unhappy with you. Please don’t give up on greyhounds. Please get in touch with some of the experienced owners in Canada for help.

61bd4941-fc71-4135-88ca-2d22dbd4b59a_zps

Payton, The Greyhound (Palm City Pelton) and Toby, The Lab
Annabella and Julietta, The Cats
At the Bridge - Abby, The GSD

I ditto what everyone has said - you didn't do anything wrong! I am so sorry that your adoption group is making you feel bad. I just feel so sad for you and really mad at your adoption group for making you feel bad. I hope you come back as you have nothing to be ashamed of and I hope you'll reconsider another greyhound. I think you'd be a good greyhound mom. Hugs.

<p>Kim and the hound - Rumor
Missing my angels Marlow, Silver, Holly and Lucky

I am left feeling so sad. What a horrendous series of events. To th e OP I'm so sorry your experience was so painful, You were let down by your adoption group in so many ways. I can't even speak to that "trainor's" comments and actions. In one thing she was right though, You are a dream for an adoption group. Just one that gives a damn that you and your dog are a good match.

I know how sad and disappointed you must be. take some time but please don't shut the door on trying again. there are so very many great dogs that would absolutely fit you and your family and be all that you imagined and more. Feel no shame. this is supposed to be fun and exciting, not scary and disillusioning.

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

Guest Bean_Scotch

I was refraining from commenting on this, but that "trainer" you got had her head in the clouds. I specialize in treating aggression problems....and that is not the way to go about doing it in any dog, let alone a Greyhound. I'm sorry you had to return her. I hope the "adoption group" gives her a chance and a has a proper trainer working with her to get through the problem, as with dedication it can be done. Then again, I'm not holding out hope for adoption groups because I've seen first had dogs euthanized because they are 'fear aggressive' and the adoption group didn't want to take the time to train the dog before placement...but that's a whole 'nother ball of wax. I hope you give Greyhounds a second chance as not all of them are like this, and the ones that are deserve to be in the hands of competent, professional trainers who know what they're doing.

Also have to wonder whether there is a medical reason behind this as Ami had a seizure previously that the OP asked about. I know sometimes there can be a correlation between the cause of the seizure, e.g. brain tumour, and a pup that may act 'aggressive'.

Edited by Charlies_Dad

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest Giselle

That "trainer" is completely incompetent, uneducated, and and EMBARRASSMENT to this profession.

Ami's Ma, I am so sorry you've been dealing with such low-quality and bad support. I am so sorry. You were failed by this "trainer" (who does not even deserve to be called a "professional" dog trainer), and you've not received the help you needed from your adoption group. I am so sorry. Please know that there are those of us out here who can and do want you to find a hound to be your loving, safe, lifelong companion. And there are those of us who will go out of our way to ensure that.

If you are anywhere near Ithaca, NY or if Ami gets sent to the States, I am more than happy to offer my help for Ami's new family or whatever situation in which she finds herself. Please feel free to contact me. If you send me your information, we can chat via e-mail or what have you. You can also contact me through my website (see below).