Refusing To Wear His Coat!

Guest laura150

Guest laura150

Ernie hates his coat because of the velcro. When I go to put it on him, he runs away and lays on his bed and growls if I try and put it on him. I've tried distracting him with food, having him associate a treat with his coat but nothing is working. He LOVES going for runs and is up as soon as I ask him if he wants to go on one but if he sees me with his coat, he slinks back down and tries to wait it out.

We live in Boston and it's been cold and will be cold! I can manage some days but on other days when he simply won't budge, is it unsafe for him to go without a coat if it's in the teens and low-20's? He doesn't seem to be shivering and he likes being outside (he did he first zoomies yesterday at the dog park in the 30mph wind gusts!) in the weather.

Should I keep trying or only put the coat on when it's deathly cold out?

Guest sireltonsmom

It is unsafe for Ernie to be out in that kind of weather unprotected. Could you try putting a non velcro blanket on his back around the inside of the house so he gets used to something on his back? Make it a game where he puts it on on one side of a room and you take it off on the other side. Treats, of course. Could you look online for coats that buckle instead of velcro? Truly, until he's accepting something, I'd just take him out til he does his business then get him back inside. Perhaps your greyhound adoption group has an idea or two? Good luck with this - I know how frustrating it can be when they refuse to do something that's good for them.

:ghplaybow:gh_runner

Teens and low 20's is too cold to spend any amount of time without a coat. If it's just a quick "poop run," then i don't worry about it as much. If it's a walk and you're going to be more than 5 minutes or so at those temps, the coat would be needed.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Guest laura150

I ordered him a coat with a buckle at the top and am waiting for it to come in (supposed to be this week). I drape blankets over him at home and he loves them and snuggles w/them on his back. It's the sound that he hates-it velcros in two places and scares him.

Hopefully the buckle coat won't be as traumatic for him!

Some dogs simply don't like to wear coats. Often it's because they have thicker than usual fur and they feel too hot, and/or because they don't fit well and chafe. I could well believe that an unpleasant noise (and velcro IS an unpleasant noise!) could put a dog off his coat, too.

Sid hates his coat, but will accept it when it's freezing out, or after his swim. It's not that he doesn't like a particular coat, because he hates all of them equally! We have velcro, buckle, and over-the-head jumpers. Oddly, the over-the-head jumper is his favourite, despite being a tripod, and I think it's because it stays put and can't chafe him anywhere.

I do agree though that in below zero temperatures (we use centigrade here, so 21 F would be about -6 C) a greyhound should wear a coat if he's going to be out for more than a few minutes. Our first one didn't, but he was a street dog before we got him and a tough cookie. And of course, we didn't live in Boston, where I'm sure it gets colder than it does here!

I should add that he didn't wear a coat until he got old. Then he did. He liked the fleece jumpers, too!

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

I disagree that it's "unsafe" to go outside in the cold.

Would I go out for an hour in the cold with George without a coat? No. But a 10, 15 minutes walk? THEY'RE DOGS. Not orchids.

Many Greyhounds, including those who race in Florida, are actually bred and born in places like Kansas (George included). They most certainly are NOT wearing coats outside in the winter when they're youngsters.

I expect dogs are like people. Some have very high tolerance for cold. My oldest brother can go out in a blizzard wearing a t-shirt and a down vest and he is NEVER cold. My father's funeral was outdoors, in Feb., in CT. It was FREEZING. My nephews had on only suits. None of them appeared to be freezing to death. I was bundled up in a heavy coat and I was freezing!

Different strokes!

Edited by GeorgeofNE

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Could be the static electricity if the coat is fleece. For that reason if mine need a coat they wear a flannel one from http://houndtime.com/

If it's really cold the regular coat could go over a flannel one.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

I agree with George. As long as you are not out for an hour in 10 below zero, he'll be fine. You'll know when he's cold, he'll probably hold up a paw like his foot has suddenly turned to ice. If your hound does any type of running, he will DEFITELY not be in any trouble. Remember, these guys core body temp. raises by nearly 5 degrees in a 30 second race, and that's core temp, so their surface temp of legs and such will probably be higher. So if your hound is in the snow running around like a nut, he will be just fine without a coat.

Edited by Greyt_dog_lover

Guest laura150

This makes me feel a little better. Ernie and I run twice a day for about 30 minutes and besides to pee (I swear for such a skinny dog, he must be all bladder tank) and to sniff a few trees, we don't stop. I've felt his body a few times in the colder weather to see if he's shivering and he never is.

On the really cold days, I'll be putting his coat on but it's nice to know that I'm not being a bad Mom for not putting his coat on everytime we run.

Thanks!

Guest BlueCrab

Dover saddlery has had horse-blanket type dog coats in the past that use metal slip-thru buckles like horse blankets use. I haven't looked recently, but I imagine they still have them. I used to see them on sale all the time and bought a couple of them some years ago. Since they don't use velcro, they might be worth a try. The clasps don't seem to make any sort of noise at all other than a slight metallic click as they clasp shut.

If he's running and isn't acting cold, then he's fine. If he's afraid of Velcro, start desensitizing him. Sit across the room from him with the coat and make the noise for a split second and throw a treat to Ernie. Continue to make the noise and throw him a treat until he's comfortable with it. Move a little closer and repeat the process. Keep moving closer until he comes to you for a treat when he hears the Velcro.

I agree....if he seems fine, it probably isn't worth the bother to put on the coat. I've had to remove coats and carry them in temps below 20 F because Teague starts panting. If you are jogging, his body will heat up and they often get quite hot in a coat. It's usually quite obvious if a dog is cold/uncomfortable. They will slouch their body, pin their ears back, tuck their tail down, etc. You will need a coat if you have to go out on really cold days (or days with a freezing cold wind!) so in the meantime work on introducing his new coat in a positive way. :)

Best way to check if a dog is truly cold is to slip a finger inside their ear. If their ear canal is cold, then the dog really is chilled through and should be warmed up somehow. If the ear canal is warm he's probably OK. However, if you live somewhere the temperature drops VERY low, be aware that you could get frostbitten paws if they don't wear boots.

For days when you feel he needs a coat, try a jacket or sweater that ends at the back of the ribcage and doesn't cover his butt. Might be less annoying to him.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

However, if you live somewhere the temperature drops VERY low, be aware that you could get frostbitten paws if they don't wear boots.

Sorry, but I disagree.

Greyhound feet are not that different from any other dog's feet. My family (including grandparents) have lived in New England for ... well, well over 100 years. We have always had dogs. Not one of them, ever, has worn boots. Not one of them, ever, has ever sufferered anything worse than snow stuck to the fur between their toes.

Look around. How many dogs do you see, of any breed, ever, wearing boots? When sled dogs wear a boot, it's not to protect their foot from COLD, it's to protect it from being cut or otherwise injured.

Under normal circumstances, even in a blizzard, your dog does not need to be bundled up like a toddler. Because it's A DOG. As much as I adore my George, and he has an extensive and gorgeous wardrobe, I don't kid myself into believing he wouldn't be just fine without most of it.

Edited by GeorgeofNE

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

I think it depends on the individual dog. And factors such as age and health.

Both of mine are extremely cold intolerant if we are just going for a leash walk around the block. I walk fast but even so, that's nothing for a dog. Summit will be 9 this spring and I have noticed starting last winter that he does not handle the cold as well as he did previously. I took the dogs for a hike yesterday. It has finally become cold in the last 3-4 days and we have a tiny bit of snow on the ground. I bundled him up in his winter coat while Kili just wore her sweater. I actually had to leash Summit for the first quarter of the hike because he kept stopping and standing there hoping I would turn back. And the second we did turn around, he was high tailing it back down the trail towards the car. On walks in town he limps miserably on one leg when it gets cold. Sometimes I think it's arthritis since he does limp on the left front if he overdoes it, but then other times he limps on random legs on walks. And if you don't stop and warm his feet up in your hands (thereby freezing your own fingers) he will continue to hobble completely on 3 legs for BLOCKS (I've tried waiting him out but it seriously gets ridiculous).

Kili on the other hand hates the cold but is able to deal with it if you force her.

So I do think it depends on the individual and some other factors. It's not that they suffer any actual damage, but I can believe that they're miserable. I'm miserable in the cold. Nothing bad happens. I survive. But it is truly awful. So I try to make sure my dogs stay as warm as they possibly can whenever possible since I know they don't like the cold. Lots of good tips on new jackets and densensitization to the Velcro.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

I ordered him a coat with a buckle at the top and am waiting for it to come in (supposed to be this week). I drape blankets over him at home and he loves them and snuggles w/them on his back. It's the sound that he hates-it velcros in two places and scares him.

Hopefully the buckle coat won't be as traumatic for him!

that's what i was going to suggest. we have one from sueshappytails.com. nice warm chest panel and elastic belt w/ buckle.super warm and no velcro. we also have halemar fleece lined coats for days that aren't that that bitter. they have a buckle around the middle and are water repellent.

annie hates the velcro as well- but doesn't freak from the sound. try feeding him some good tasty cheese while you practice putting his coat on and off. feed him or have someone else feed him the cheese as soon as you are ready to RIP the velcro open. track dogs will do anything for food- he will associate the "bad" sound w/ good cheese. give it time- it will work!

Edited by cleptogrey

Sorry, but I disagree.

Greyhound feet are not that different from any other dog's feet. My family (including grandparents) have lived in New England for ... well, well over 100 years. We have always had dogs. Not one of them, ever, has worn boots. Not one of them, ever, has ever sufferered anything worse than snow stuck to the fur between their toes.

Look around. How many dogs do you see, of any breed, ever, wearing boots? When sled dogs wear a boot, it's not to protect their foot from COLD, it's to protect it from being cut or otherwise injured.

Under normal circumstances, even in a blizzard, your dog does not need to be bundled up like a toddler. Because it's A DOG. As much as I adore my George, and he has an extensive and gorgeous wardrobe, I don't kid myself into believing he wouldn't be just fine without most of it.

And in Canada, where the temperatures drop to minus 30C or more? New England might be cold, but it's not the coldest place on earth where people keep greyhounds, surely? I don't know where the OP comes from (sorry, didn't look) but I can't imagine a greyhound would come back feeling very warm from a 20 minute walk in Saskatchewan in January without a coat. Greyhounds are different to sled dogs - just as thoroughbred horses are different from Welsh ponies.

We're in England ('Old' England :P) and our first greyhound suffered horrible cracked paws one particularly bad winter when the temperatures were below freezing for weeks on end and snow on the ground. Depends on the dog, depends on the conditions in your local area. Greyhounds are not adapted particularly well for the cold, as we all know, having little subcutaneous fat compared to other breeds, and a very short, non-oily coat. Some of ours have been fine without coats for most of the winter. Sid hates his, Jack hated his - both dogs have, or had, good thick, furry coats of their own. Renie shivered in temperatures of 5C or less. Jeffie shivers at about 8-10C.

I tend to be guided by the dogs for the most part, and often go out with one coated up and the other not. I don't put boots on for the cold (though no doubt Jim would have appreciated them if I'd known where to get them in those days). Not knowing where the OP came from, I was erring on the side of caution, that's all. :)

And in Canada, where the temperatures drop to minus 30C or more? New England might be cold, but it's not the coldest place on earth where people keep greyhounds, surely? I don't know where the OP comes from (sorry, didn't look) but I can't imagine a greyhound would come back feeling very warm from a 20 minute walk in Saskatchewan in January without a coat. Greyhounds are different to sled dogs - just as thoroughbred horses are different from Welsh ponies.

We're in England ('Old' England :P) and our first greyhound suffered horrible cracked paws one particularly bad winter when the temperatures were below freezing for weeks on end and snow on the ground. Depends on the dog, depends on the conditions in your local area. Greyhounds are not adapted particularly well for the cold, as we all know, having little subcutaneous fat compared to other breeds, and a very short, non-oily coat. Some of ours have been fine without coats for most of the winter. Sid hates his, Jack hated his - both dogs have, or had, good thick, furry coats of their own. Renie shivered in temperatures of 5C or less. Jeffie shivers at about 8-10C.

I tend to be guided by the dogs for the most part, and often go out with one coated up and the other not. I don't put boots on for the cold (though no doubt Jim would have appreciated them if I'd known where to get them in those days). Not knowing where the OP came from, I was erring on the side of caution, that's all. :)

Absolutely correct Judy!! :)

The bottom line is that it is YOUR dog, dress the dog anyway you choose!!

If someone else offers to pay for your dog's bills, than let THAT person dictate how to dress the dog. Until that happens, I signed the papers, I am responsible for my dog, and I will garb my dog as I please.

Oh, and for the dog who refuses to wear his coat, I suggest duct tape or staples. ;):rofl :rofl

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

" I suggest duct tape or staples. ;):rofl :rofl"

this makes me laugh....years ago my incontinent scottie, velcro(of all names to throw into this conversation), used to wear a baby diaper as a cummerbund/belly band- i used to tape and staple it on. dogs can get used to anything...

fyi- http://www.halemar.com/Winter-Fall-Lined-Coat-107.htm

Can you try putting his coat on once you are outside? One of my greys willing lets me put his coat on. The female runs away from the coat. So, my male grey and I get our coats on and all of us go outside (with me carrying her coat). Once outside I put her coat on without a problem. Maybe she then realizes it really is cold outside! :)

Guest Marsroving

Not to derail but any advice on getting Mars use to his boots? When I put them on he will alternate from paw to paw like his feet are broken! It looks hilarious but I can tell he is in a very confused and uncomfortable state. The only time I've been able keep him in a boot with success was when he had 18stitches in his back leg and needed the boot to protect the area from further damage...and I think it because it was just 1 boot, not all four. Maybe I'm answering my own question...put them on in the house, one boot at a time.

Guest IrskasMom

Another not to derail Advice ( OP ) needed. Jammies I am talking about. Morty paces , whines ,pants and drewels and will not lie down with his new Jammies on. Covering him up with a Blankie is out to. So whats there to do. Let him be cold at Night :dunno :dunno :dunno

Only time mine have to wear boots is boo-boo related. I just put on the boot and send them out into the yard. Within about 50 feet of the door they have forgotten all about the boot and are busy smelling, peeing, and pooping to care about the boot anymore.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Sorry, but I disagree.

I have seen horribly frost bitten feet--poor dog-the vets tried so very hard to save him-he was pts.