Seizure Meds - Time Change

So with the time change coming up, I began to edge Hopper's seizure meds forward in 15 minute increments to deal with the time change - so his meds would be changed by an hour all at once.

Well, tonight, after only having three doses moved ahead, he had a seizure. He has previously been on a every 6 week schedule since finding a combo of meds that work relatively well, and he was three weeks overdue (so he'd gone 9 weeks).

Every 12 hours he gets pheno, Keppra, and thyroid. His KBr he gets on his meals. This scheule has worked for 9 weeks now and nothing happened until I tried adjusting the time.

My question is about how to go on from here. Since he's already had a seizure, should I just go ahead and move his meds ahead the whole hour for the time change? Should I *not* try and move them at all and just keep him to the same schedule no matter what time we're under?

He's OK and actually recovered quicker from this one than the last one. I tried occular compression (though I didn't really know what I was doing!) and that might have helped some. :dunno

ETA - Wrong. Just as I was posting this he had a second seizure. :( I see a long night ahead of me hoping he's not clustering.

Edited by greysmom

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Good thoughts for Hopper and you. I hope he did not have any more seizures after his second.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

I'm no help either as Noelle hasn't had trouble changing the time but she's only on pheno. I just gave it at the same times 0600 &

1800 hrs. When I do the occular pressure I gently but firmly press on her eyes, & sometimes it works but not always. Noelle is 7 & has had seizures all her life & I know changes in the weather can cause he to have problems. Hope you can get things figured out.

Chris, I'm so sorry you and Hopper are having a rough night. :grouphug I too am inclined to suspect that it may be a coincidence. After the current round of seizures settles down, I'd go on shifting the meds by 15 minutes to sync up with the time change. What I'd do is note this situation in his seizure log and then see what happens again this time next year. A repetition next year would seem to me to indicate something to look into. Don't jump the gun in attributing this seizure to the med change. Also, if Hopper takes extra Pb on a different schedule (every 6 hours) when he clusters, like Piper did, it would actually make a great time to start up his regular dose at the "new" time when you switch him back from his "cluster buster" schedule to his regular schedule.

I know that some dogs do better on an every 8 hour dose with Pb. I could never do that with Piper because of my work schedule but it might be possible for Hopper if he turns out to be super sensitive to the timing of his meds.

How's Hopper doing this morning?

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

Sending calming vibes for Hopper's brain quakes. Hope he is doing better this morning.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

DH actually spent the night up with Hops and, though he was pretty restless for a couple hours, he did eventually lie down and sleep. No more seizures! :yay He's very hungry after them, but otherwise seems to be back to his normal self this morning.

He gets chlorazapine and a dose of pheno for post-seizure treatment (every eight hours until he's been 24 hours seizure-free). And I've decided to just switch his regular meds to the new time while he's still on his extras today.

Thanks everyone, for the advice and support!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I just changed Thunder's med time by 15 mins last night. I can't change his morning time much since I need to get to work so I'm hoping he doesn't have a seizure. He hasn't had a GM since June.

Glad your boy didn't cluster- hope the time change doesn't mess him up. I would agree just changing to the hour is what I would have done.

gallery_2213_3086_11460.jpg

Kari and the pups.
Run free sweet Hana 9/21/08-9/12/10. Missing Sparks with every breath.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Guest carriej

Kowalla used to take seizures; and the vet told us we had an hour window when we first asked. He had breakthrough seizures randomly but we never allotted any of those to time changes.

Some of the seizure medicines are long lasting because it builds up in the system but, some are very short lived and their 1/2 life might not even make it to the dosage time. The one that I'm specifically thinking of is KeppraER.

Time changes are always tough because there is an abrupt switch and many people that have seizure dogs will adjust medicines slowly to prevent a possible seizure.

Edited by MaryJane