New Ig Foster - Boy Can He Jump! Help! Pictures Added :)

Ok,,, all you IG people, I need some advise.

I just got the cutest IG to foster, his name is Smokey - and he is a JUMPER!

he jumped over my 6' car gate the other day - then jumped right back over to me when I called to him!

i was freaking out - then happy - then mad ! but managed to give him a treat for returning to me with a wagging

tail and mischievous eyes.

How in the world do you keep an IG from jumping the fence/wall when he knows he can do it!

where I live he would be coyote food in a matter of hours!

I'm so paranoid now that I've taken to leash walking him around my one acre (which is a pain cause he wants to go everywhere!) so... any advise?

he also has wiggled out of his harness a couple times. thankfully i had him double clipped to a martingale and didn't have to chase him around the block.

eta: he's almost 10 yrs old - and the adoption coordinator thought he was fat - but i think he really only needs to loose 1lbs to be perfect!

Edited by 3DogNite

lorinda, mom to the ever revolving door of Foster greyhounds

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14

No advice but a request for a picture if/when you have time! He sounds like a fun boy to have around but understand your concern as I would be right there too. Perhaps anchor him with a Greyhound? :) I know, I'm no use at all.

Hope Lazer continues to do well!

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

I don't have any advice but many, many years ago we had a little 9 lb IG that could leap our 4 foot chain link fence in a single bound!

She kept ending up in our front yard. We searched the fence for holes, areas where she might have dug under, etc.

Then my husband stood on one side of the fence shaking a box of milk bones. Lauren the IG ran over and saw him standing on the other side of the fence. Then she saw the box of milk bones, and BOING! She was over the fence! :lol

Our little IG was the best watch dog I've ever had. She heard everything and would bark up a storm letting you know about it.

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

Here is the little stinker! :hehe caught him with his eyes closed

smokeyonchair_zps5e814d53.jpg

My new supervisor! and a benevolent one at that! :flip

mynewboss_zps50e3175d.jpg

He and Lazer are already friends (and Lazer is doing great!! thank you for asking about him!)

Spirit is wondering why such a little bugger is on HER bed!!!

Smokeyandlazer_zps5e1f342b.jpg

eta: bed covers are in the wash - sorry groddy pic of dog beds!!

Edited by 3DogNite

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14

He's super cute! My DW would love him but we're a tad far away!

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

He's a cutie! He looks like he's mocking you in that first pic in the lounge chair! :lol

I loved our IG. The only thing I didn't love is that her bladder was the size of a teaspoon and she couldn't make it through the night without waking me a couple of times so she could pee.

In hindsight I guess it was good preparation for the children that followed years later. :)

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

oh what a darling! Does he ever open his eyes? xDD

usually his eyes are shut!! :) snoozing typically :hehe

however, i'm not the best picture taker, so with a cell phone, this is the best I get.

Attached his short leash to a big rock????

Sorry. No advice here! ;) But he is adorable!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

You might try posting on igwhispers or iggyplanet for help with the jumping.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

I don't really have much advice, but man, what a smug look on his face in that first pic! He's adorable!

I do remember to keep the cats from jumping over a baby gate, we tied balloons to the top of the gate. They were bulky and moved around so they acted as a deterrent to any kitties that were contemplating jumping. In my head I figured that if they tried to jump it, their claws might pop a balloon, which would reinforce that jumping the gate is a bad thing.