Iker's Tail, Loss Of Hair

robinw

The outside of Iker's tail looked like this when I picked him up from my friend's house yesterday. He had been there for 2.5 weeks while I was on vacation. This patch is completely hairless. Could this have been nervous chewing, or could anybody think of another cause?

Thanks

IkersTail.jpg

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Wow. All that in 2.5 weeks? Sheesh.

Kasey has always had a missing patch, which we actually attributed to potentially banging his tail against something at a young age and circulation to the area was cut off due to severe bruising. If i find a pic, I'll send it along. It's similar. Remains bare to this day, although Fresh Factors is helping somewhat, but after having him like this for 8 years, I really don't think it will get better, and it really doesn't seem to bother him.

Maybe someone else has ideas?

Edited by XTRAWLD

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Doesn't look sore/flaky at all? Could be just fall shedding + stud tail. Gidget has a bare spot on hers right now, and she's normally very hairy all over.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Allergies? Rocket has been licking his paws for about 6 weeks. They are bright pink, but this is the first year that he didn't end up with at least one of them infected and completely bare. .

He's been on Chlor-Trimeton and HC Comfort Spray (from the vet). I decided to try Fresh Factors 2 weeks ago, and he has stopped about 80% of the licking.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Robin, Master has the same thing. There are glands at that area of the tail. Here is a LINK from another breed but it occurs in male dogs. Another name is Stud tail. My guess is that this is what it is.

:heart Iker.

Tin and Michael and Lucas, Picasso, Hero, Oasis, Galina, Neizan, Enzo, Salvo and Noor the Galgos.
Remembering Bridge Angel Greyhounds: Tosca, Jamey, Master, Diego, and Ambi; plus Angel Galgos Jules, Marco and Baltasar.

This is not an unusual development for a male dog as he grows older. One of my greys had it, and also my Dalmatian. If you speak with your vet about it, he/she may be able to discern whether it is a normal sign of aging, or something else. It does seem odd to have come on so very abruptly, though.

bth_FredandKimbaGreytalksignature1.jpg?t

Loving Kimba & Fred, missing Booker & Polly, first greyhounds, never forgotten.
"I am in favor of animal rights as well as human rights.
That is the way of a whole human being."
Abraham Lincoln

Got a pic of Kasey's tail. Like I said previous, hasn't affected him one bit, but was there the day we got him. The hair closest to the affected area is really wiry. Just seems like improper hair growth there, if any grows at all.

20131015_102041_zpsdaeca173.jpg

Edited by XTRAWLD

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Looks like Stud tail to me.. especially in the absence of any redness/soreness. You mentioned Iker is feeling more at home lately, so I wonder if this isn't related.

That being said, ours usually show their stud tails in the fall and regrow the hair in the winter.

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

Three of our dogs--two females, one male--had stud tail. It didn't look as 'excessive' as what Iker's photo shows, though.

Has he ever had stud tail before?
Did you ask his caretakers if they noticed him chewing his tail? Seems like if he had been chewing, it would be irritated as well....

Phoebe (Belle's Sweetpea) adopted 9/2/13.

Jack (BTR Captain Jack) 9/28/05--11/2/12
Always missing Buddy, Ruby, and Rascal.

I'm leaning toward stud tail. How old is he? Perhaps he is "coming up age".

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Thanks for the replies. Nobody noticed any chewing and the skin isn't rough looking at all. I'm positive it wasn't like that before I left; it is on the outside and I think I would have noticed. It looks a lot like Kasey's tail, only whiter. Maybe that is because of his black coat. He is five or six years old.

The term "stud" tail in relation to Iker makes me laugh :lol You have to know Iker to understand :beatheart

Edited by robinw

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Guest BlueCrab

I'm going to vote for "stud tail" too. Trixie has it, so it's not confined only to the boys, and has developed it gradually over the years. The sudden appearance would give me pause, but since stud tail is glandular in nature IIRC, perhaps being around the other dogs / new / different situation aroused something that brought it to the surface more quickly.