Possible Cracked Rib?

Guest RileysMOM

Guest RileysMOM

Over the weekend my Grey was staying at a sitter’s house while we were out of town. According to her this is what happened: She was feeding some of the other greyhounds and left mine and one other in the living room, she heard him scream out a cry and went in to find a quarter size gashes just below his last rib on his side. She knows the other dog did not hurt him, and the only thing in the room at that height is the entertainment center, she believes he ran into the corner of it. She disinfected it and bandaged it up. When we got him back last night we were concerned because we couldn't tell how bad it was with all the dry blood and he has a dark coat. I took him to the vet this AM; they shaved around it and got all the hair and dry blood cleaned off. But told me they need to put him to sleep in order to get all of the dead tissue out of the wound so it can heal properly. I am to take him back first thing in the AM to do this. They sent him home with me today, they did not give him anything for pain while we were there and I questioned getting something. They said he did perfectly fine while they were treating him they don’t think he needs anything and he did fine the first 5 hours we were home. Now we are having problems, he has started to shake uncontrollably and he is panting very heavily. It’s almost like the reaction he has with thunderstorms only 10 times worse. He keeps reaching back like he can't figure out what is hurting him.

So here is my questions, is there a possibility he has a cracked rib, if so how can I treat it to make him more comfortable tonight until he goes back tomorrow to the Vet?

If he's shaking uncontrollably and panting hard, he needs the vet now.

Hope all will be well.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

E-vet. Now. Sounds like he's in considerable pain.

Most greyhounds will NOT exhibit normal pain symptoms while at the vet, so it's not surprising they said they didn't see any. But once he got home and relaxed, he started to feel it, and now you're going to need something fairly heavy duty - perhaps even IV - to get in front of it.

How many days ago was the initial injury? Your sitter didn't even clean the wound or contact you about taking him in at the time? A dog would need to run into a piece of furniture fairly hard to create that kind of injury. How did she account for it? Was the other dog hers or another dog she was sitting? If this isn't someone you know, and even if it is, then you should really talk to her about what you expect to happen when your dog is injured, if you leave him with her in the future.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

A cracked rib wouldn't be a huge problem. A ruptured spleen, punctured intestine, lacerated kidney, etc. would need the closest e-vet as fast as you can get there.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Did they do an x-ray at all? It could be a cracked/broken rib and if so, there might be a small chance of getting a collapsed lung. If they did an x-ray, they should see issues with the lungs but, things could have changed since the visit.

I agree with the others, E-vet. The panting is worrisome as it could be from pain or not being able to get enough air (collapsing lung).

Good luck ...

Guest RileysMOM

Thanks for everyones input, I called my vets 24 hour service and they told me to bring him in for them to look at him, so I believe we will be heading that way as soon as I contact my husband.

@greysmom She said it happened Sat evening, we got him back sunday evening. she said she cleaned it and put antibiotic ointment on it with a bandage, but no she did not contact me when it happend, I wish she had I would have come home sooner. The other dog was another she was sitting, it was an unsupervised injury. She has watched him maybe once or twice a year the last 4 years, she volunteers at the rescue I got him from, I will definatly mention to her about calling me as soon as possible if he is hurt in the future, hopefully I won't have to worry about that agin.

@MaryJane, no they did not do an xray. He wasn't showing signs of pain or trouble breathing.

Edited by RileysMOM

Make sure your pet sitter pays your vet bill. It happened in her care. She did not take the dog to the vet nor contact you when it happened. She is responsible for the injury. If it were me, I would make sure she pays the vet bill. For her sake I hope she is bonded and insured and the liability coverage will pay the bill.

Make sure your pet sitter pays your vet bill. It happened in her care. She did not take the dog to the vet nor contact you when it happened. She is responsible for the injury. If it were me, I would make sure she pays the vet bill. For her sake I hope she is bonded and insured and the liability coverage will pay the bill.

If she were being PAID as a professional, this might be true if she did something negligent that allowed the dog to get hurt. Doesn't sound like she did. She used her judgement and didn't call. Sounds like it appeared to be a minor injury.

Of course we live in a society where people spill coffee on themselves and then sue the person who sold them the coffee...

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Same as those above... just checking in to see how your pup is doing.

-Joel

Gwen (07/2003-11/2009),  * Maya (cancer , 06/2003-10/2013), *Ollie (cancer 07/2013 - 10/2018), *Azalea (cancer, 7/6/2015 - 5/20/2019), Ashe (cancer 04/2011 - 03/2020)

*Aztec (sister of Inca, 12/1996-08/2011), *Inca (half-Siamese kitty ,12/1996 - 9/2016)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest RileysMOM

Sorry it took so long to get back on here, its been a busy last 2 weeks! He is doing much better now, he had to have stitches and drains put in. No broken bones but of course he hates wearing the cone. I have to take him to the vet during the week for dayboarding while I go to work since he can't be alone :( We are getting there but its a long process. Thanks for everyones advice and concerns, if I could figure out how to post pics I would but some up!

Aw, poor bug. I'm sorry you guys are going through this and hope he is all healed up soon.