Lydia Is Bleeding!

I had just written about Lydia's scrape on her back leg in my Soapbox post, and never dreamed I'd be dealing with it tonight. I was watching T.V., sitting on the coffee table (as usual) and Lydia was laying on the couch behind me. I turned around and she was laying in a pool of blood, her whole abdomen covered. It looked like she'd been eviscerated! Freaking out, I'm wiping her off, trying to find where the blood is coming from. Nothing on her stomach. I find the scrape on her right hind leg from when she'd stumbled on our steps week before last. It had stopped bleeding pretty quickly then, and we thought she was all healed. I don't know what happened tonight, but it must have opened up and started bleeding---a LOT. Like a head wound. Or happy tail. I was thinking we'd have to go to the emergency vet. But I don't know what they would do. I don't think it can be stitched. It's right above the thin separate cartilage or muscle, and area where it's just skin. She was dripping all over the place. We got it cleaned off and covered the area in this powder called Antiseptic Blood Stopper. Like Clotisol? We put pressure on it, then bandaged it. She seemed fine during the whole thing. If something hurts Lydia, she definitely lets you know. She'd have to be muzzled. She sleeps with me, so I'll be able to keep her under observation.

I was just looking at that place on the other leg, and there is a big vein running right along there.

Should I take her to the vet tomorrow? I guess we'll have to see if the bleeding stops, but is there anything we can do that we haven't done?

Edited by queenwinniesmom

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Oh Nancy :( the slipping on the stairs was scary enough I'm sorry you've had another scare so soon. Since it started bleeding like that well after the incident of her tripping I would probably have a vet look at it in the event she knicked a vein or artery. Nadir sends warm nose nudges and gentle snuggles to his sweetheart.

Does Lydia have thin skin - thinner than normal for a grey? Sam did and every little nick would tear and end up needing stitches. There were times when from the amount of blood that I was sure major veins/arteries must have been affected but that was never the case. He just had thin skin and bled like crazy. My solution - to avoid e-vet visits was just what you have done. Cold compresses, and applying pressure to stop the bleeding and using the powder.

Check it in the morning, perhaps it was just that she tore the scab off that started the bleeding again. I hope so - you have had a really tough week.

Deb, and da Croo
In my heart always, my Bridge Angels - Macavity, Tila the wannabe, Dexter, CDN Cold Snap (Candy), PC Herode Boy, WZ Moody, Poco Zinny, EM's Scully, Lonsome Billy, Lucas, Hurry Hannah, Daisy (Apache Blitz), Sadie (Kickapoo Kara), USS Maxi, Sam's Attaboy, Crystal Souza, Gifted Suzy, Zena, and Jetlag who never made it home.

http://www.northernskygreyhounds.com

Nancy-it's my feeling that she needs to see your vet in the a.m. So long as you were able to wrap the site and stop the bleeding tonight. No doubt she nicked a vessel (ie vein or artery). This may be a surgical fix.

Lydia is one if my favs--please keep us posted. (Pm me anytime if you think I can help further)--hugs to the pretty girl.)

Good advice above.

Just to add, I've not used "Antiseptic Blood Stopper" powder you mentioned, but I agree with Pam re: powders (like Quick Stop). Most of the powders I've seen are just for nail quicks.

I'm always looking for painless blood clotting products. Clotisol works great for us with three diagnosed "excessive GH bleeders." Clotisol worked great for a happy tail injury that bled profusely (but didn't need stitches). (Clotisol label states that it can be used for docked tails.) We use it for hounds' nail quicks too. It's always stocked on our shelf. :)

Positive thoughts for Lydia's quick recovery. If time, please let us know how she's doing later.

I'm always looking for painless blood clotting products. Clotisol works great for us with three diagnosed "excessive GH bleeders." Clotisol worked great for a happy tail injury that bled profusely (but didn't need stitches). (Clotisol label states that it can be used for docked tails.) We use it for hounds' nail quicks too. It's always stocked on our shelf.

There is a chinese herbal remedy called Yunnan Baiyao that is used for both external and internal bleeds I learned about from a hemangiosarcoma forum I was on. This forum didn't push alternative medicine, but everyone swore by this stuff as being one of the most essential items to have on hand in the event of bleeds. I have never had the opportunity to test it on external bleeds, but I felt it helped Bruiser numerous times with the internal bleeds he had.

Guest IrskasMom

A bit to early for an Update ?

Hugs to you Nancy , feeling a tiny bit better ? :bighug

FWIW . I just ordered me PawFlex. I find it very helpful for little scrapes on their Legs .

Edited by IrskasMom

Checking for an update. Hope prettiest Lydia is lots better this morning.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Well, she seems fine this morning! We're going to keep the bandage on, even though the bleeding stopped. I don't want to run the risk of pulling off any scab that might have formed. I don't think the powder was painful because she would have let us know---she's a screamer. She was just standing there with a puzzled look on her face, as if she couldn't understand why Mom and Dad were freaking out. Now Clotisol---I know that hurts, I tried it on myself! :nod

Our vet has an opening at 4:00, so I'm going to take her in then.

Deb, I do think her skin is a bit thinner than most, especially since she's older. She's 12 now. And, as everyone knows, my heart dog. It was such a tiny opening, but the amount of blood was scary.

Erika, I'm going to check out the Paw Flex.

And Judy, I'd love more info on the Yunnan Baiyao. Off to Google it now.

I'll update after we see the vet. We both appreciate the good thoughts!

Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon

Guest grey_dreams

Hope Lydia will be fine, good that you are seeing the vet. That must have been so shocking to turn around and see all that blood. Good thoughts for your sweet Lydia.

Nancy, how scary!

give Miss Lydia extra xoxox from me!! Spirit and I are holding you both close thru the day today!!

hoping the vet apt this afternoon goes smoothly.

Lorinda

lorinda, mom to the ever revolving door of Foster greyhounds

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14

There is a chinese herbal remedy called Yunnan Baiyao that is used for both external and internal bleeds I learned about from a hemangiosarcoma forum I was on. This forum didn't push alternative medicine, but everyone swore by this stuff as being one of the most essential items to have on hand in the event of bleeds. I have never had the opportunity to test it on external bleeds, but I felt it helped Bruiser numerous times with the internal bleeds he had.

On the way home from the vet yesterday, I called alternative vet who had just left my house a few hours before and asked if I could give Ringo the Yunnan Biayao to help with bleeding tail dock (he whacked it at the vets). She said yes, told me how much and he'll be on it for several days. It's a good herb to have around.

There is also an bandage for emergencies that stop bleeding. One example

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Nancy, glad to hear no more bleeding and she seems okay. Will watch for an update after the vet visit. Darn thin skin - I am definitely going to get some of the qwickaid and have on hand - thanks for that tip Diane!

Deb, and da Croo
In my heart always, my Bridge Angels - Macavity, Tila the wannabe, Dexter, CDN Cold Snap (Candy), PC Herode Boy, WZ Moody, Poco Zinny, EM's Scully, Lonsome Billy, Lucas, Hurry Hannah, Daisy (Apache Blitz), Sadie (Kickapoo Kara), USS Maxi, Sam's Attaboy, Crystal Souza, Gifted Suzy, Zena, and Jetlag who never made it home.

http://www.northernskygreyhounds.com

We're back from the vet, and I'm relieved! Our vet checked her all over real well and cleaned the scrape. By that time, she had trouble finding the place where the blood had come from. She said we did a good job with getting the bleeding stopped, and the bandage. That was Doug. He was a vet assistant in Florida, and is really good at that type of thing. We were both worried, though, that there was something more, or that the bleeding would start again. The vet put some ointment on it and changed the bandage, and said we could change it tomorrow. She'd recommended a gel called Vetricyn that we use for the cats, that is pretty all purpose, and said we could use that. So we are reassured. I said I'd planned to take her to the Home and Garden Show for a Meet and Greet tomorrow night, but didn't know if that would be alright. But she said she looks great, her color was really pink, and if she wanted go go, she didn't see why she couldn't.

Oh, know what the charge was? $15. I love my vet. She has Greyhounds.

And since Lydia was Born To Smooze, if she looks this good tomorrow, I guess she'll go.

Thanks so much for all the good thoughts, and some good suggestions for wound care that I didn't know about.

I'm going to have a glass of wine now.