One Year

Guest WhiteWave

Guest WhiteWave

It seems like only yesterday that I was going to Tampa to pick up my very own Greyhound puppy. I waited impatiently as it took forever for the lady to get there with him. Then she arrived carrying a funny looking little puppy, but it took no time for him to turn into a beautiful, graceful Greyhound. He was the perfect pup. Housetrained in 2 days. Never crated, never needed to be. He came in and my entire pack accepted him, even grouchy old Pongo. They all loved him. Everyone who met him loved him. He met no stranger, just friends he didn't know yet. For the first time in a long time, I was truly happy. He made me happy. I wanted to come home from work and see him. He always made me smile.

But my happiness was so short lived. I remember this day too like it was yesterday. Coming home and seeing my sunshine laying dead and limp on the ground. I don't think any human or animal death as ever affected me as deeply as losing Riddick did. I was not ready for him to go. We had so many more adventures planned and we were robbed of that time together. He was suppose to grow old and live into his teens and be a wobbly old man who I had to help up and down the stairs.

It honestly doesn't feel like it has been a year, but it also feels like it has been forever. But as long as I live, I will always remember Riddick. He will live as long as I do in my heart.

Riddick

4/8/11 to 2/21/12

They say memories are golden
well maybe that is true.
I never wanted memories,
I only wanted you.

A million times I needed you,
a million times I cried.
If love alone could have saved you
you never would have died.

In life I loved you dearly,
In death I love you still.
In my heart you hold a place
no one could ever fill.

If tears could build a stairway
and heartache make a lane,
I'd walk the path to heaven
and bring you back again.

Our family chain is broken,
and nothing seems the same.
But as God calls us one by one,
the chain will link again.

–Vicky Holder

Smiling.jpg

JacknRiddick-1.jpg

Riddickroach.jpg

Shakedown.jpg

RiddickandBoxer2.jpg

Dryingoff.jpg

:candle I still remember your post when you found him and crying for you, for him and for all the wonderful times you would never have. It is always hard to lose our pups, but he left you way too soon. He was a beautiful boy.

You were both blessed to have found each other. :angelwings

Edited by june

I remember reading all about Riddick, and I remember crying when I heard about your tragic loss. :cry1 What a sweet happy boy he was!

Hugs to you on this difficult day. :grouphug

gallery_22163_3545_8773.jpg

Humans Kathy and Jim with our girls, Ivy (Carolina Spoon) and Cherry (Fly Cherry Pie)

Missing our beautiful angel Breeze (Dighton Breeze) and angel Beka (BM Beko) - you are forever in our hearts.

Hugs as you remember your boy.

Behave yourself over the rainbow, sweet thing.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest WhiteWave

Thanks everyone. I probably shouldn't be reading this on my lunch break b/c now I'm crying again. I know they say things happen for a reason, but for the life of me, I don't know why this happened.

Well I guess I do, irresponsible people. One time is a "oops" 2 times is not. Riddick's parents had a previous litter and one of them too dropped dead just like Riddick. It is hereditary heart defect. I didn't know about the first litter until after Riddick had died. One of them died shortly after the same way, but he was around 18 months old. And while I know who the Mother is, no one will say who the sire is, but that both litters had same sire.

:( :( :( no words... :(

Mom to Macho (JS XtremeMachine 1/12/2007 -8/17/2012 ... Gotcha day 9/2/2011. I miss you BigMan)
Moonbeam (Ninos Full Moon 11/1/2009, Gotcha day 9/2/2012), Hattie (Kiowa Hats Off 4/14/2011, Gotcha day 10/13/2012), Keiva (JS Igotyourbooty 1/12/2007, Gotcha Day 1/8/2014)
Jimmy (Blu Too James 06/26/2014, Gotcha day 09/12/2015)
, a shepard mix named Tista, some cats, and some reptiles.

He was an incredible pup. A year already and it seems like it was only yesterday. I can understand the grief you feel and am sorry he left so soon.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest WhiteWave
I have that last picture of him in the sand among the pictures that scroll on my screen saver. He's never far from my thoughts :beatheart

That was one of his best days. I have never seen a dog enjoy the beach like he did. That boy ran nonstop for over 2 hours and then he crashed! He made so many friends, he loved that brindle Boxer and he out swam the labs and even got to swim with a dolphin. I thought it was a shark at first and remember screaming someone save Riddick and then the head popped up and it was Flipper instead of Jaws! He swam so far out cause he had to outdo all the other dogs.

I can't wait to take Joey to the beach. Have a feeling he is going to love it too! :)