I've Been Picked By A Hound!

Guest k9soul

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He DOES look like a total sweetheart! He looks like a big boy too. I can just imagine your excitement. Can't wait to hear all about Rudy and see more pictures!

ETA Just looked at him on the GO website and see that he's a smaller boy - just photographs big, I guess. :D Very handsome! :wub:

Edited by galgrey

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

He DOES look like a total sweetheart! He looks like a big boy too. I can just imagine your excitement. Can't wait to hear all about Rudy and see more pictures!

ETA Just looked at him on the GO website and see that he's a smaller boy - just photographs big, I guess. :D Very handsome! :wub:

They say he is smaller, but his foster family felt he around 70 pounds rather than 65. He seemed more average to me compared to the other hounds around us. There was an 80 pound boy definitely bigger though!

Oh, here's a photo with his foster brother.

rudy15_zps80a1ffff.jpg

Edited by k9soul

I've been on a shopping spree for him today. He's coming with a really nice winter coat so I can wait a bit and get him a lighter spring coat later. I got him a nice tag collar designed to break under pressure, ID tag, a grooming mitt and curry brush, and a car/travel bed. A lot of other basic supplies I already have, nail dremel, tooth care items etc. Can't think of anything else at the moment. Waiting is the hardest part.

Oh, and DesiRayMom, I did feel incredibly privileged. I've never quite felt that way before. It was a real "high."

Edited by k9soul

He is very handsome, congratulations and welcome to the Greyhound family!!

med_gallery_14228_2915_582.jpg
Roberta & Michael with Furkids- Flower (Shasta Flowers 6/7/06) & Rascal the kitty - Missing our sweet angels - Max(M's Mad Max) 10/12/02 - 12/3/15, Sara (Sara Raves 6/30/01 - 4/13/12) Queenie & Pandora the kitties - gone but never forgotten

Rudy is home! He came home on Thursday but I've been run ragged trying to get the dogs accustomed and spend special time with each, calls from family and friends asking all about him and so on! He's doing really well. Initial first hard night because he and my oldest girl ran through to the hallway at the same time and she instigated a spat with him. Over quickly but shook everyone up. No issues since then and I'm making sure everyone has their space as we adjust.

Anyway, Rudy boy got his welcome home toy and was quite happy with it :D

Congrats! What a handsome guy!

Are the other dogs interested in his toy?

Neither of the girls are very toy-interested. Tasha (my oldest) doesn't care about them in the least, but Raven likes to play with squeaky balls on occasion. I had a lot of toys for my golden retriever (who passed a year ago) who was a huge toy lover, so Rudy has inherited those.

Guest kkaiser104

Congrats on your new boy! Teddi picked me too--he was the 5th or 6th dog I saw (I wanted an older boy, but they just wanted to give Teddi a turn out while I was seeing dogs). Teddi bounced out of the kennel, over to me, and nuzzled my leg until I pet him. He followed me everywhere in the kennel, and I knew. He was just over 2, and a BIG boy (85 pounds), and completely opposite of what I thought I wanted. But Teddi knew, and 7 months later I'm still crazy about him. I'm glad they let him out for his turn out or I wouldn't have even looked at him :)

Wow! He is one stunning dog! You are very lucky to have been picked!!

Edited to add...just read your post about the tag collar on the way - that's great!! As it sounds like you know, martingales can be problematic inside the house with the risk of the D ring catching on everyday items. Enjoy your boy - he sounds and looks fantastic!

Edited by Trihounds

Doe's Bruciebaby Doe's Bumper

Derek

Follow my Ironman journeys and life with dogs, cats and busy kids: A long road

Welcome home, Rudy! :confetti We're going to need lots of pictures of him and your other dogs, BTW. :D

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

He's very handsome, a total sweetheart

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

congrats!!!! we just officially adopted Zeke (formerly Hey Who Whiz It) from GO too :)

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

congrats!!!! we just officially adopted Zeke (formerly Hey Who Whiz It) from GO too :)

Congratulations to you too! I think I may have seen Zeke on the adoption page before but I can't recall for sure. GO seems like a great organization, very thorough and supportive.

He's beautiful! His coloring reminds me a lot of my first greyhound (and love of my life), Quiet Man, pictured in my signature. He picked my husband and our lives were never the same after that (in a good way). Congratulations and thank you for giving him a good home :)

Forever in my heart: my girl Raspberry & my boys Quiet Man, Murphy, Ducky, Wylie & Theo
www.greyhoundadventures.org & www.greyhoundamberalert.org & www.duckypaws.com

Guest HoundWorks

Such a handsome guy! We got the same snake toy for our dogs over Christmas and they love it! It's the only toy that has lasted more than a few days. Quite tough! Enjoy your new friend!

Oh, also I forgot to mention that Rudy is a bounced pup. He lived for about a year with his first family, but then at Christmas they had a house full of very young kids and at some point apparently Rudy growled at one (I probably would have wanted to growl too). The mother also apparently found out she was expecting, and Rudy was returned. My gain, I say. I hope it is Rudy's too!

What a stunning hound you have!!! Congratulations!!! Your life will never be the same now that you have become a greyhound Mom.You can't help but get passionate about the breed and adoption.<br />Please consider bringing him to meet and greets. It is a great way to get him comfortable in all situations and with people and other dogs. If GO doesn't have any meet and greets in your area may I suggest that you check out Regap of Illinois and join us at one of ours. We don't care where you adopt, you would be welcomed with open arms and hearts.<br />Have fun watching him blossom as he gets more comfortable in his new life. Janice, Luka and Peace from the Southside of Chicago.