I've Been Picked By A Hound!

Guest k9soul

Hello GreyTalk!

First let me say I've been an admirer of greyhounds as long as I can remember, and have longed to have one of my own the past 10 years or so. I have lurked here off an on since I found this board in 2005! Well it is time, circumstances are right, and I am finally, finally getting my hound! I have 2 mixed breed girls from animal shelters, one 6-year-old and one 14-year-old. In the beginning of January I put in my application to Greyhounds Only in Illinois, and finally today the girls and I went to the kennel. We met 5 lovely hounds, and our hound chose me, and my girls chose him. Rudy will be coming home soon, a dream come true for me. He's a 5-year-old dark brindle, a true gentleman I am honored to welcome to my home. I would like to share some pictures from his foster family.

rudy1_zps8adffbd2.jpg

rudy2_zps7aa9644a.jpg

rudy3_zpsd79fc03a.jpg

rudy4_zps01c03770.jpg

rudy5_zps2c653101.jpg

rudy7_zpsabbda55f.jpg

rudy10_zpsd74d15de.jpg

rudy12_zps68bef276.jpg

rudy13_zps3d750d27.jpg

Does he not look like a total sweetheart?

Thanks for letting me share my excitement. I so look forward to becoming a part of the greyhound community!

Edited by k9soul

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you! I thought I'd throw in a picture of my girls. Tasha, the fawn is 14. Raven, the black lab mix, is 6 years old. They both seemed very comfortable with Rudy. He was very respectful and sweet with them (both are quite submissive and a little nervous with pushy dogs).

raventashbed_zps1745da98.jpg

Rudy is gorgeous, and he looks like a very sweet and smart gentleman hound -- so happy for you. I'm another who waited a long time to get my first greyhound, and I've never looked back. Can't imagine life without my hounds now :)

Welcome home, Rudy, welcome k9soul to the greyhound family, and congratulations to all of you!

Guest iclarkz

Did you come look at him at the kennel in Wisconsin? I am wondering if I saw him there last weekend. We just got picked by a black female there, and are waiting anxiously for her foster period to be over!

Did you come look at him at the kennel in Wisconsin? I am wondering if I saw him there last weekend. We just got picked by a black female there, and are waiting anxiously for her foster period to be over!

I did! The one near Kenosha. I know 8 other dogs got picked today. Were you there? How exciting!

Congratulations!!!

Rudy is very handsome.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

I'm just still so psyched I can hardly settle down tonight. :offwall I had kept everything really low key as far as announcements to friends/family until I knew for sure. All the "what ifs" going through my head, what if the girls don't do well with any of them? What if none of them seem to really connect with me? etc. etc.

Rudy was the 2nd dog I was shown. The moment he reached me, he plastered himself to my side and grew roots. He rested his cheek against me and his eyes seem to glaze over in bliss as I stroked his head over and over. Then I brought each of my girls, one by one, and he was sweetly curious but not straining and pushing to a point that made them feel uncomfortable. After all this boy probably seems tall and intimidating to them! My older girl relaxed and stood right under his head, not even flinching when he took some tentative sniffs. She then took her turn to give him some sniffing which he accepted gracefully. Raven was antsy with people and dogs around but after a few moments her little tail came untucked and she gave some gentle snuffles and tail wags.

After I put my pups back in the car and met up again after some paperwork, Rudy again velcro'd himself to my side. People kept commenting on how he had made his choice. I felt so deeply touched, a privileged feeling honestly to be so immediately trusted and sought after by this beautiful sweet boy.

Thankfully he has already been in foster for some time, is comfortable in a house setting and is ready to come home. It's all a matter of arranging transportation and a good day and time for everyone to bring him home. Until then, I'll be reading everything I can get my hands on. I feel education with dogs never really ends and just have this strong feeling that my life is taking a new turn now; one that will affect me deeply forever!

Rudy is one handsome dude! Congratulations. Rocket picked us the same way - plastered to you is a good description.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Reading your update -- you and Rudy and your girls are going to be just fine, more than fine. He chose very well, I think :) Go slow, give him time to settle (oh, and talk to him a lot!) and those roots he just planted with you are going to grow very deep into your heart. Corny, but true :) I think you're both very lucky right to find each other from the start!

Congratulations on being picked by Rudy! He is so handsome!! :heart

I was "picked" by my first greyhound, Pup - while on vacation in Florida many, many years ago. He, too plastered himself by my side, poked his needle nose into my hand - and let me know in no uncertain terms that he was coming home with me. let me say, I did not go to this kennel with the intention of adopting a dog, it was just a sight-seeing visit ... I had to call the DH back in Michigan and let him know I was flying home with a dog! Pup was right, he was OUR dog, and we had the most amazing life together.

We can't wait to hear of all the fun and adventures to come once Rudy joins your family!

You will find that your greyhound is uniquely different from your other dogs. People will stop you in the street when you walk him, wanting to meet Rudy and to ask questions about him. Greyhounds also draw small children in to them like a magnet. :lol

Be sure to post once Rudy comes home! :clap

gus-rainy-1.jpg?1449508527184&1449508632
CORY and CRICKET - Solitary Tremble & CASPER - Pj's Mia Farrow
* With CAPT. GUS - Solitary Trigger, RAINY - Peach Rain, PUP - Red Zepher, DOC - CTW Fort Sumpter
and MAX - Shiowa's Silver Maxamillion / Afghan .... all waiting at the bridge

What a wonderful dog!! Boy, you sure waited a long time, and it was all worth it. Congratulations on finding and being chosen by Rudy!!!

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Thank you again everyone, such warm welcomes, I have always known doggie people were the best! My first dogs when I was a teenager were 2 rough collies, one sable and one tricolor. They turned a lot of heads and we got a lot of questions with them, so that part at least I'm a little familiar with. I know I will need to learn the best way to field some of the touchier and more uninformed questions. Having lurked here off and on, I'm familiar with some of the ideas the general public has. Embarrassingly I used to have a few of them myself until I learned more. We'll certainly do our best to be great ambassadors for the greyhound community :).