14 Year Old Greyhound Has A Hard Time Getting Up - Arthritis

Guest tiesties

Guest tiesties

max.jpg

Maximillian about one month after he saved my life 10 yrears ago - now

some insensitive friends are saying I need to put hium to sleep

My 14 and half year old Greyhojnd - Maximillian has extreme pain apparently only when he is trying to get up. This has been a recent problem for only the ;last two or three days. However today the pain was so extreme that I could not even help him to stand.at all.

i suspect Artritis. It is really cold now in southern California and we are right on the Pacific Bluff so the cold is really strong. A few friends have expressed that it is time to put him down. I can hardly bare that thought even if he were to be confirmed very ill - however I would not hesitate to do the right thing. In this instance he does not seem to be having a serious illness or that the pain is continuous - only when he tries to stand.

I am afraid the the Vet that I triust will jump to conclusiuons as he said "he is an old dog and I have to accept what I must do" That was over the tel earlier this evening. and I have decided to not visit that Vet tomorrow morning. First of all Maximillian is not a dog - he is a Greyhound and he has been my best friend ever - for more than ten years Second, I cannot just be God and turn his life off without understanding exactly what is wrong. If it is just Arthritis then I imagine that I can treat that with drugs or other ways.

I am 58 years old and I have lots of pain getting up out of my bed, serious cramps that cripple me, all kinds of other health issues that make me cry out load or at least exhibit symptoms of sickness or wear and tear. I am sure that Max would not elect to put me down without first getting a firm realization of what it is that is causing the problem. The thought of killing Max because he is having a temporary bout with Arthritus that was misstakenly or foolishly and or conveniently labeled as old age or a serious health issue is making me crazy. Heck if I was put down because I had a cold that was misstaken for a life threatening illness and I had been handed a big favor and put to sleep when in reality I ould have been very healthy in just a few days thanks to rest and some asprin.

The Vet . did recomend a pain pill and apparenmtly that is working. I will try to get him to stand in a little while

ANY SUGGESTIONS PLEASE

If you don't trust your vet, then you need to get him to see another one ASAP. Maybe have a fresh set of eyes look at your dog and his medical condition. Arthritis doesn't just all of a sudden appear in a dog, they progressively get worse and worse in my experience.

This unfortunately sounds like exactly what my Afghan hound (Who was named Shiowa's Silver Maxamillion) Max went through at age 14, right before we made the hard decision to let him go. One morning I found him sprawled out on the floor, unable to get up, laying in his own excrement. The look on Max's face let us know that he did not want to go on living this way. It was the hardest thing my husband ever had to go through, he had lost his father to cancer two days earlier, and then he had to let his best friend go too.

Do get another opinion quickly for your Max. I'll be praying for him.

Let us know what you find out.

gus-rainy-1.jpg?1449508527184&1449508632
CORY and CRICKET - Solitary Tremble & CASPER - Pj's Mia Farrow
* With CAPT. GUS - Solitary Trigger, RAINY - Peach Rain, PUP - Red Zepher, DOC - CTW Fort Sumpter
and MAX - Shiowa's Silver Maxamillion / Afghan .... all waiting at the bridge

There are several options for hind end weakness in hounds. However, you do need to know what is causing it. Is there a group with a greyhound saavy vet near you that you could take him to? I have an 11.5 year old who struggles to stand after lying down. He takes supplements and Adequan injections, which appear to be helping. He struggles more when it is chilly and damp, too. Please keep us posted.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

"Severe pain" just doesn't come on from arthritis. It's a gradual process, and if he has arthritis, and what dog that age doesn't, he's been in pain for a long time--apparently untreated pain. Pain so bad he cannot stand up could be ANYTHING.

Your vet cannot force you to put your dog to sleep if you're not ready to do that, but your dog should have been seen annually by your vet, and I would expect he would have noticed arthritis by now.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest 2dogs4cats

I don't think your friends are being insensitive, they are trying to help you. There are many on GT that have been through this. Please take hin to a vet. He needs professional help. I know it's VERY difficult. You may not want to hear what the vet has to say, but you must take him.

We have a similar situation with our 14 year old Daisy and are currently trying acupuncture treatments. She still has more greyt days than bad days so I know she is not ready to leave us just yet, but I do trust my instincts and my vet and know that the day is coming when decisions will have to be made. I believe in better one day too early than a day too late when it comes to any of mine suffering.

Prayers for both of you.

Deb, and da Croo
In my heart always, my Bridge Angels - Macavity, Tila the wannabe, Dexter, CDN Cold Snap (Candy), PC Herode Boy, WZ Moody, Poco Zinny, EM's Scully, Lonsome Billy, Lucas, Hurry Hannah, Daisy (Apache Blitz), Sadie (Kickapoo Kara), USS Maxi, Sam's Attaboy, Crystal Souza, Gifted Suzy, Zena, and Jetlag who never made it home.

http://www.northernskygreyhounds.com

Sometimes the hardest most important thing we can give our friend's is a dignified peaceful passing. If you don't trust your vet try another. Your vet is supposed to aid in the final decision and you need to be able to trust them. Please get him to the vet ASAP to at least get his pain managed better. It kills me when any of my critters is in pain and I will do anything needed to make sure it doesn't last. (((HUGS)))

Edited by JAJ2010

------

Jessica

As others have written, if you do not believe/trust in your vet try to find another. There are options for arthritis and pain management that will allow your beloved hound to be with you for longer. If however his condition is serious, then yes there comes a time when we have to accept the responsibility to make the right decision for them. In the meantime, please take your handsome boy to a vet and see whether a diagnosis can be achieved as this could go a long way in relieving his pain.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

My 14 and half year old Greyhojnd - Maximillian has extreme pain apparently only when he is trying to get up. This has been a recent problem for only the ;last two or three days. However today the pain was so extreme that I could not even help him to stand.at all.

Maximillian is a beautiful boy, and I know it's hard to see them age. What pain medication are you giving him, and is he currently on any other meds or supplements? Has he really shown absolutely no signs of arthritis until the last couple days?

Dogs tend to be stoic and often do not show obvious signs of chronic pain. They just learn to live with it because the pain and discomfort come on gradually and are always present. Signs that can indicate chronic pain in dogs can be subtle, like stiffness in the mornings or when first getting up, being slow to get up or lay down, and hesitating to go up or down stairs.

From your description above, I have to wonder if there is more going on than just pain "only when he is trying to get up." If this was the case, then he should be ok once you help him up into a standing position.

I am afraid the the Vet that I triust will jump to conclusiuons as he said "he is an old dog and I have to accept what I must do" That was over the tel earlier this evening. and I have decided to not visit that Vet tomorrow morning.

If you truly trust this vet, I'd suggest taking what he says into consideration, but as others have mentioned, he can't force you to do anything, and he should be willing to listen to your concerns. If you don't believe it's time to let him go, and you want to find out what is wrong and try treatment, tell your vet that, and he should accommodate your wishes regardless of his personal opinion. If you don't feel that your vet will respect your wishes, then it doesn't sound like you have a good relationship, and it may be best to find another vet.

Pain is certainly treatable, and if Max is not currently on any prescription pain meds, then there is a lot more that can be done to try to make him more comfortable, regardless of what is causing the pain. Please have Max evaluated by a vet asap so that you can get him some relief.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Guest Snazzy_Chloe

What they said - your vet has seen him, if so do you need a second opinion from another grey savvy vet. Some pain meds may be in order - he may need pain meds for the rest of his life. He may need a lot of food supplaments to aid relief for his joints

If you got the dog up, and he still wouldn't stand he has a serious problem. Sounds like the pain meds your vet gave him are helping - give them time to work.

Enjoy your time with your pup as he may not have much left (14 years is a good long life for a hound) and start conditioning yourself to the fact that at some point you may have to intercede in having to help put your dog out of its misery - it will be up to you and it is your responsibility, don't fail him (he will tell you when it's time).

Love him to the fullest while you can - each day is a blessing.

Cliff

Magic sometimes has trouble getting up after laying for awhile especially when it's cold and damp. Right now he's on just glucosomine and weight control for his arthritis. Our vet said it was "the follies of his youth" aka his racing career.

Do you have a light coat or jammies for Maximillian? The warmth might help a bit too.

Good luck.

Carol, missing Magic (1/5/01 - 4/15/15) but welcoming Fuzzy's Joy Behar (Joy) into my life on 5/31/15.

Our 12-year-old was diagnosed with LS at age 8, but we then realized that he'd been showing more subtle symptoms since age 5 that we just didn't know enough to think meant anything. Since 8 he has been successfully managed with acupuncture/chiropractic. A few months back he also developed some disk problems in his mid-back, which is not rare for greyhounds, and we had to add gabapentin and tramadol. They worked wonders, and we have found that monthly Adequan shots make things even better. No reason to give up on him without trying something like this, IMHO. Sometimes, I find, we just have to tell our vets what we want. Good luck with your decisions.

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Guest tiesties
Here is the website about Max's problem.

Not sure how to do a follow up - this is about as confusing as FaceBook is. I wish this stuff was easy to use.

I need some further advice about Max. Does anyone kjnow about this condition and the effectiveness of the treatment as outlined in this web page

Lumbosacral Stenosis
(Cauda Equina)

Draw up 20 mg of Depo-Medrol and using a 1" needle, inject half of this into each side. Go about halfway down the ridge of the iliac crest, go in (medially) 1", and inject just off the midline (this is where you put your thumbs to try to "crack" the L-S joint).

Not sure how to do a follow up - this is about as confusing as FaceBook is. I wish this stuff was easy to use.

I need some further advice about Max. Does anyone kjnow about this condition and the effectiveness of the treatment as outlined in this web page

Lumbosacral Stenosis
(Cauda Equina)

Draw up 20 mg of Depo-Medrol and using a 1" needle, inject half of this into each side. Go about halfway down the ridge of the iliac crest, go in (medially) 1", and inject just off the midline (this is where you put your thumbs to try to "crack" the L-S joint).

Guest tiesties

I need some further advice about Max. Does anyone know about this condition and the effectiveness of the treatment as outlined in this web page

Lumbosacral Stenosis
(Cauda Equina)

LS is common in Greyhounds. Depo shots definitely can help and sometimes other meds such as Gapapentin are prescribed as well. What has your vet recommended?

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Guest tiesties

Can anyone tell me how I should reply to any of these great posts concerning Max. I really want to thank everyone individually and as well provide updates or requests for more information. I have had a Vet give Max a shot as prescribed by Suzanne Stack DVM http://www.greytheal...umbosacral.html however I believe that it was not done correctly,

48 hours should tell the sucess or failure which is about 12 hours from now. I have not tried to encorage Maxi to stand up since the shot. He is such a sweet-heart and I really do not want to push him. It is not so much the pain he may experience, it is more the emotional effects that I am sure he is realizing. From what a Greyhound Rescuer has told me, this is what it sounds like what Max has and the Depo-Medrol injection will work and he should walk and even run again but only if the proceediure is done exactly as described by Suzanne Stack.

I do not want Max to suffer and so far he is not in great agony despite the embarassment and indignity of pissing on himself. I am looking after him 24-7 and he is in 100% great hands here. I will not hesitate to let him go to the after-life however if he is really not met his time then I do not want to make the mistake of giving up on him. He is strong and this Greyhound saved my life although I adopted him. I actually believe that we have been placed together for a highere meaning than just being a great Greyhound and a caring guy to meet.

This comes to mind - THIS IS A TRUE STORY - A few days before my last birthday ( I do not tell how young I am ) I went to the hospital in Rosarito because my right foot was swollen and looked horrible. They were going to cut my foot off ( it looked that bad ) but contacted the surgeon for advise. He came after 5 hours and decided it was because I have poor circulation and I wore a pair of cowboy boots for 36 straight hours while chasing babes etc. Chasing babes was a bit easier when I was a year or two younger. I was already resigned to becoming a Peg Leg and was considering Teak or Ash. If the three doctors had the right saw and the stomach for it I would be one foot short - good thing I had the luck of having another opinion. Losing a foot by mistake would not be a fun thing to realize - IMAGINE THAT. Putting Max down because it may be a convenient thing or because I would not take the effort to understand what or how to deal and make a big mistake with this would haunt me forever

Is your current vet willing to try this treatment?

Editied to say we posted at the same time and I am SO glad that Max has had a treatment.

Give it some time to work!

As others have suggested, you should give Chiro/Accupuncture a try.

Hopefully your floors are not slippery, as this makes it even harder for them to get up.

Placing rubber-backed matting over all your slippery floors will give Max better traction. We did this for our 14+ GSD and it helped her a lot.

Please keep us updated.

:hope

Edited by BatterseaBrindl

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

I haven't read all of the posts, just yours, but I'm wondering why you aren't trying a different vet because it appears you don't have much confidencein your current one. I'm really hoping the shots work and you have more quality days with him.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

I'm so sorry ... sending hugs to you. I wish there was something we could say to help ease the pain just a little. All I can say is that I hope the pain will soon be replaced with warm and happy memories of the great life you had together. I'm shedding tears with you this morning. :(

gus-rainy-1.jpg?1449508527184&1449508632
CORY and CRICKET - Solitary Tremble & CASPER - Pj's Mia Farrow
* With CAPT. GUS - Solitary Trigger, RAINY - Peach Rain, PUP - Red Zepher, DOC - CTW Fort Sumpter
and MAX - Shiowa's Silver Maxamillion / Afghan .... all waiting at the bridge

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Godspeed, handsome boy.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I am very sorry for the loss of your beautiful boy.