Advice Needed! Quickly Please!

Guest grandmagrey

Guest grandmagrey

Our 7yr old beautiful brindle boy Evan recieved a bite to his left ankle about midnite last nite. He wasnt bearing wt so i took him to the local e-vet. Xrays were done w hydromorphone as a sedative. Evan wasnt sedated! In fact he had just the opposite reaction. For 9 hrs after the iv injection, Evan paced the floor, drooling buckets, shaking like a leaf, standing facing the corner, eyes widely dilated, and the most distressing look in his face. It was hard to watch my beautiful boy so miserable. I reached out to several vets whotold me it would pass...it did...but now he is exhausted. He has eaten a few treats, taken a little water in, and urinated outside.

Thankfully, the bite did not injure bone, only soft tissue. He hobbles on 3 legs just to the water dish ..he wont drink when i offer it at bedside...

My concern: he looks dry to me. His mucous membranes are moist, but not as moist as the other dogs' his eyes appear a bit sunken in, and the bones on his forehead are more prominent than usual. Im not sure when to worry, he did drink some!

Never been through something like rhis before...what all is ahead? Evan has tramadol for pain which works...anti inflam...and atb. Any thoughts are appreciated!

The hydromorphone after-effects may be making him queasy. It's possible he'll drink more when his stomach calms down. Keep an extra water bowl near his bed, so that if he does get thirsty, it won't be a big effort to get something to drink. Start worrying when his gums are tacky rather than moist. If he's not drinking by morning, call your vet. Your vet can administer water subcutaneously--and it won't require sedation. And if Evan isn't eating as well as not drinking, let your vet know. There's a drug called cerenia that can work against nausea.

Only give the anti-inflammatory on top of a meal. That can be hard on his stomach.

Go easy on the tramadol. Large doses can make some dogs exhibit signs of anxiety. I'm assuming that the anti-inflammatory and tramadol and antibiotic all were prescribed by the vet treating the bite. If any of these are left over from previous events, check with your vet before you give any of these on top of the hydromorphone after-effects.

And now you know: narcotics and greyhounds don't mix.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

I have heard of certain medications having the opposite reaction on dogs. One of my guys was prescribed Xanax for fireworks. The vet advised that we try the medication a few days in advance to gauge his response, and wouldn't you know it, the Xanax did NOT sedate him. It made him a little wobbly, but otherwise very unsettled. It was just as you described- pacing, panting, drooling, etc.

Pain meds can also upset the stomach, so hopefully he'll get back to normal once his stomach settles down. I also agree with the suggestion regarding Pedialyte. I get the unflavored kind and mix it in with food. If it doesn't appear to be getting better and he has serious symptoms of dehydrations (pale gums, skin not bouncing back), he may require IV fluids to get him back to normal.

Edited by a_daerr

Guest grandmagrey

Thank you all! So far! My instincts are right gums are tacky. Skin tents. He is very drowsy. All meds were just prescribed for the bite. He had a couple of crakers w peanut butter on them served in bed of course when i gave him his meds earlier. Drank maybe 4 oz of water. I have the broth from a pork roast, i bet he will love it. Gonna go fix it now. Any more help is greatly appreciated!! Gonna try to get thru the night and avoid the e-vet if possible.

Thank you all! So far! My instincts are right gums are tacky. Skin tents. He is very drowsy. All meds were just prescribed for the bite. He had a couple of crakers w peanut butter on them served in bed of course when i gave him his meds earlier. Drank maybe 4 oz of water. I have the broth from a pork roast, i bet he will love it. Gonna go fix it now. Any more help is greatly appreciated!! Gonna try to get thru the night and avoid the e-vet if possible.

In MY house for one of MY dogs, I would be giving a Pepcid AC before giving ABT's. As far as drinking, keep an eye of him tonight and if there is no improvement, talk to your Vet in the morning.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Guest grandmagrey

Update: Evan drank about a quart of watered down pork broth, had a few bites if meat and smiled. I think we are on the right track! I'll give him some more in a bit., along with some of the alternatives you gave all suggested he will be back and healthy before we know it.

Gotta hope this bite doesnt get infected...thats another hurdle....

Evan and I appreciate all the wonderful advice and quick responses to our need.

*greyhound people are truly special people!*

:nod No greyhound of mine will ever have any sort of Moraphine again. That was the longest pacing panting drooling night of our lives.

Glad he's doing better...I'd water down the broth quite a bit. Have never seen pork broth. :huh

Edited by Hubcitypam
gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Guest grandmagrey

Never again will Evan be given morphine derived drugs. There are other options. I know his pain is significant and hes doing ok on tramadol and rimadyl now. He still after more than19 hrs is having some of that horrible trembling of his hindquarters. The vet described this as normal.

Side note: when i make a pork roast i cook it in a slow cooker. I rub the outside w fresh garlic, sea salt, and pepper i put about 1 cup if water in the bottom. This makes a rich broth suitable for gravy. Evan is more important than gravy. Ha!

Hope Evan is better this morning. What, or who, bit him?

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest kkaiser104

Hey everyone! I came home last night (grandmagrey is my mom) to be Evan's nurse and for the holidays. Evan is doing much better today, at least, all of the effects from the hydromorphone have seemed to gone away. He's very creaky, and his leg is very swollen...here's a picture (it's the front left):

8266571133_dd76765fc2.jpg
Untitled by Katelyn Kaiser, on Flickr
It's not the best but it gives an idea at least. I will try to get a better picture when he doesn't seem to be in as much pain. He's being an angel, as always, and is taking pills like a champ. He did go outside last night when I came home (he and Teddi are the best friends, he was so happy to see him!) and pottied, as well as eating a little/drinking a little. Evan's always a little vocal when sitting down, though it does seem to be a little louder today. He was on a different dog bed when I woke up, so he must have gotten up and moved around during the night.
The bite was caused by a scuffle over a treat between him and our siberian husky, Akaila. Akaila scarfed her cookie down and thought she would just take Evan's. He wasn't having any of that, teeth came out on both sides, and she got his leg. At first my mom thought it was just a scrape, but after a few hours Evan was GSODing, limping, and toe touching with the foot. That's when she took him in to the evet. They did xrays just to be safe and concluded it is just a soft-tissue injury. Needless to say, the greyhounds are going to be separated from the other dogs when eating treats from now on.

Guest grandmagrey

Thank you everyone for your concerns and greyt advice. Thank you kate for your help! I can work today knowing he is in your capable hands.

I am very interested in the spray to keep the wound clean. He was licking again this am. Where can i get that please?

:nod No greyhound of mine will ever have any sort of Moraphine again. That was the longest pacing panting drooling night of our lives.

Glad he's doing better...I'd water down the broth quite a bit. Have never seen pork broth. :huh

yup. Rainey had SEVERE reactions to them too. Unfortunately, I stupidly forgot about it when the lady gave her the sedative shot when we let her go. Worst few minutes of my life :(

hope your baby is continuing to improve.

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

We always have Betagen or gentocin in the house al all times as well as anti inflam, pain killers (tramadol) and various antibiotics. You can buy from your vet or get a script and order online.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Thank you everyone for your concerns and greyt advice. Thank you kate for your help! I can work today knowing he is in your capable hands.

I am very interested in the spray to keep the wound clean. He was licking again this am. Where can i get that please?

It's sort of expensive, but the best price I've found is on Amazon. You can get it at Petco, though.

I always keep Vetricyn on hand for minor injuries.

Guest grandmagrey

Update: Evan is doing well. No signs of infection-- it appears to be healing well. His pain is well controlled w use of rimadyl and tramadol. Hes still on atb. He is walking somewhat carefully and goes outside to potty. Lots of tlc going on. The dog he had the tiff w is sorry...she lays near him a lot! We told her she hurt him! And this family has changed the way treats are given. No more chances taken. Also, we learned no more hydromorphone for Evan!

Guest grandmagrey

Update: yesterday Evan had his last Rimadyl. Today hes limping again!! Thankfully my daughter had some for her greyhound Teddi. I'm sure the vet will give us some more for Evan when i call tomorrow.