Bloodwork Question-Update Post 1

Wonder

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hugs Kari. Sending good thoughts for a smooth surgery and benign path!! :goodluck

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

My vet told me I will need to wait in the lobby during the surgery. I doubt he would tell me that if he was 100% Lucky would be leaving and going home with me.

I'm in shock

gallery_2213_3086_11460.jpg

Kari and the pups.
Run free sweet Hana 9/21/08-9/12/10. Missing Sparks with every breath.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Guest undergreysspell

Oh my, this could happen to any of us with our pups and I so feel for what you're going through. Prayers, strength, and hugs.

Oh Kari...I am so sorry it wasn't better news....call or text if you want to chat....

gallery_4518_2903_10272.jpg
Donna and...Lucy and Chubb
Rascal H 10/1/91-5/22/04 My best friend and Bounty Boon 1/23/99-6/25/07 My boy with the biggest heart
Cody 7/28/99-8/1/13 My boy that always made me laugh and Dylan 5/12/04-12/29/2017 The sweetest boy ever

Miss Mollie 1/1/99-1/30/15 and Pixie :heart:heart-10/10/2017 Lincoln :heart-2/14/2021

Kari, do you know yet when the surgery will be? If htere's anything I can do, let me know. :(

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Wish I could be there for you and Lucky, Call if you need to, Love ya...

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

My vet told me I will need to wait in the lobby during the surgery. I doubt he would tell me that if he was 100% Lucky would be leaving and going home with me.

Ok, take a deep breath and try not to get ahead of yourself... From what I could tell based on the earlier posts, Lucky has been acting fine other than accidents inside, and high globulins was found on routine bloodwork. There is always a small degree of risk with any surgical procedure, but the chances of Lucky not making it home are pretty low. Even if the vet thinks things look bad during surgery, I wouldn't necessarily advise making a decision on the spot if he's not really sick right now.

Because Lucky is a spook, do you usually stay with him for procedures at the vet? Maybe all your vet meant by that comment was that you wouldn't be able to stay for the surgery and would have to wait in the lobby?

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Kari, my Bruiser was diagnosed with HSA after the tumor on his spleen ruptured and a splenectomy was done. That was back in June and he's doing great nearly 6 months later working toward that 1 year anniversary.

I hope that HSA is not the diagnosis for Lucky, but wanted you to know it doesn't mean you have to say goodbye right away.

Kari, do you know yet when the surgery will be? If htere's anything I can do, let me know. :(

Tuesday

Ok, take a deep breath and try not to get ahead of yourself... From what I could tell based on the earlier posts, Lucky has been acting fine other than accidents inside, and high globulins was found on routine bloodwork. There is always a small degree of risk with any surgical procedure, but the chances of Lucky not making it home are pretty low. Even if the vet thinks things look bad during surgery, I wouldn't necessarily advise making a decision on the spot if he's not really sick right now.

Because Lucky is a spook, do you usually stay with him for procedures at the vet? Maybe all your vet meant by that comment was that you wouldn't be able to stay for the surgery and would have to wait in the lobby?

There is also something on his prostate. My vet said that's generally cancer.

I am going to do a chest xray before surgery. Those results will determine if we go ahead with the surgery.

He is not doing well at all. I am hoping it's from the xanax and not the bleeding from the mass. His gums were pure white last night and he had thrown up when I was at work. He's panting yet feels cool to the touch. Temp was 102.4 last night. Wanted nothing to do with food. Just lays there with his eyes open. Doesn't respond to me unless I repeat.

This morning, temp was 103.1, gums pink, drinking lots of water and then threw up. Poop is liquid. Won't eat. Just lays there. I will go home at 11 to check on him.

He's only had a dental which was last year. Before that he's never had anything done since his adoption neuter. Those notes said he thrashed around after waking up. I did tell the vet that did the denal this. After his dental, they called me to come get him right away instead of making him stay there for the afternoon for observation. He was very anxious there. I am calling for those records today to check to see if they noted his temp.

I mentioned these and his spiked temp during the U/S to the vet that will do the surgery next week. He said I should bring him right before the surgery instead of early like normal. Then keep him in the car until it's time to take him in the back to draw blood. He wants to check his TP and PVC before the surgery.

Edited by Wonder

Kari and the pups.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Kari, my Bruiser was diagnosed with HSA after the tumor on his spleen ruptured and a splenectomy was done. That was back in June and he's doing great nearly 6 months later working toward that 1 year anniversary.

I hope that HSA is not the diagnosis for Lucky, but wanted you to know it doesn't mean you have to say goodbye right away.

I remember this! I'm glad that Bruiser is going well.

Also hoping that Lucky is just as... lucky. Can't imagine how you must be feeling.

I mentioned these and his spiked temp during the U/S to the vet that will do the surgery next week. He said I should bring him right before the surgery instead of early like normal. Then keep him in the car until it's time to take him in the back to draw blood. He wants to check his TP and PVC before the surgery.

This is definitely the right thing to do given his fear issues. I'm glad they're taking it seriously. If he handled the Xanax well (which it sounds like you're not sure about) you could also ask about giving that before you leave, but you'd want to make sure that works with their anesthesia protocol. Have you talked to the vet today? I would give them a call and let them know that he's not doing well. They may bump the surgery up or want you to do something else. :goodluck

Crap, I've hit the... I can't even function mode.

Vet is off on Friday's. I can text him but am going home at 11 and want to check on him first.

I swear his tummy looks bloated. Making all kinds of noises which would be normal since he has not eaten since yesterday morning. He has fluid in his abdomen.

I've been emailing Christine at OSU. She's been awesome about replying quickly. So far I am not second guessing (which I normally do) my decisions about anything and she's confirming all the decisions.

Wishing I had not given xanax but there's no way I could have known he'd react this way.

If it's not the xanax, it's the mass which was bleeding yesterday. No way to know for sure.

Edited by Wonder

Kari and the pups.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Diane, did you really text me at 2:30am or was my cell acting funky? :lol

As for why ABT's...his WBC is double what it should be. So he wanted him on ceph now and the a diff abt after the surgery.

Kari and the pups.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

I think I did text you because I got up :lol

:lol

I just checked on him. He must have heard me come in and was standing when I walked into the room. That's a first since this all started yesterday.

Temp is 103.4

Gums pink, not white like last night.

Slight panting when outside but otherwise not panting when laying down.

Both of the vets that I've been dealing with are out today. I talked to another vet. He told me to keep an eye on him. Although I don't know what there is to do if the mass is bleeding, I don't think they can do his surgery early esp if they are both out today. Vet said he's hoping the mass clotted and if he starts to perk up, that is prob what happened.

Kari and the pups.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17