Bloodwork Question-Update Post 1

Wonder

Update-

Everything for the urinary U/S looked fine. 3 people held him down and I held his head. He bucked a lot, trying to get off the table.

She saw a mass on his spleen so did a full U/S.

After an hour, I asked for his temp. It was 104.9 so she said to take a break for an hour.

I am bringing him back in half an hour. She wants to check his kidney's. Then need to get the disk to my reg vet to see when he wants to do surgery.

This is not what I thought would happen! I'm in shock.

=====================================

Lucky had his annual bloodwork yesterday.

Results Ref range

ALB 2.9 g/dL 2.7 - 4.4

ALKP 93 IU/L 5 - 131

ALT 24 IU/L 12 - 118

BUN/UREA 15 mg/dL 6 - 31

CREA 1.4 mg/dL 0.5 - 1.6

GLU 111 mg/dL 70 - 138

Potassium 4.3 mEq/L 3.6 - 5.5

TP 7.6 g/dL H 5.0 - 7.4

GLOB 4.7 g/dL H 1.6 - 3.6

A/G Ratio 0.6 L 0.8 - 2.0

B/C Ratio 11 4 - 27

His glob is high at 4.7

Dr Stack's site has Greyhound: 2.1 - 3.2

My vet said it could be a bad infection or cancer.

He has been peeing in the house so we tried to check his urine that but couldn't get a large enough sample. What she was able to check had high amount of epi cells. She said that is not normal.

I am going to schedule a urinary tract ultrasound for this week if they can get the vet that does it in.

Anyone have similar results? This is a greyhound vet but I have not used her before with Lucky (just acupuncture for Passion).

Also what dose xanax go I get for Lucky? The vet does not carry it so will write me a script for the ultrasound. Poor Lucky was a mess just doing bloodwork last night. He's going to flip out for the ultrasound

:(

Edited by Wonder

gallery_2213_3086_11460.jpg

Kari and the pups.
Run free sweet Hana 9/21/08-9/12/10. Missing Sparks with every breath.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably just stress and/or a little dehydration from panting. Were they trying to get a urine sample via a needle? Midstream clean catch at home, refrigerated till you can get it to the vet, is fine for testing. I wouldn't worry about the epi cells at this point either -- if he wasn't producing much urine at that time, you could see a disproportionate number in the sample. Or he could have a plain old infection.

I won't grind my axe about people who think you need a big glob of urine to do testing. You really only need 6-8 drops. Not your fault tho.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Isaac was give 1 mg, two tablets for thunderphobia.

If it were me I'd try the clavamox first and see if it all resolves before putting him thru that.

The ultrasound is being recommended to rule out anything before starting the clavamox. It's scheduled for tomorrow morning.

Probably just stress and/or a little dehydration from panting. Were they trying to get a urine sample via a needle? Midstream clean catch at home, refrigerated till you can get it to the vet, is fine for testing. I wouldn't worry about the epi cells at this point either -- if he wasn't producing much urine at that time, you could see a disproportionate number in the sample. Or he could have a plain old infection.

I won't grind my axe about people who think you need a big glob of urine to do testing. You really only need 6-8 drops. Not your fault tho.

They got a few drops because he was dripping while she was doing the exam.

There's no way I'd be able to do a clean catch on him. He's my spook.

Kari and the pups.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Does he ever pee on a walk? That's what I do with my boys -- leash up, walk about until something catches their interest and the leg goes up, and sneak small container underneath.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I may be way off base here but it would seem to make more sense to do the Clavamox before the ultrasound. If I had the money & my dog wasn't a spook then I wouldn't object to the ultrasound ahead of time but I don't have extra money. In your case your dog is a spook, needs Xanax & was a mess just from bloodwork. Normally I'm not so good with the wait & see attitude which is similar to doing anti-b's before ultrasound. However, in the situation you describe I'd be sorely tempted to do just that.

Good luck & may the ultrasound turn out ultra-normal.

I tried a test run of getting a urine sample after work. I'm sure my neighbors got a great laugh :rofl

I put him on a leash, kept him close. Every time he started to pee, I moved in with the container which he some how KNEW I was going to do and started dancing around and bucking like a horse. It's the actual container that freaks him out.

I am going to do the U/S- I have to. I have to know what's wrong with him.

Passion could have a brain tumor- I refuse to put her under to do an MRI to find out. The wait and see is killing me with her.

I have to do every test for Lucky. I just can't wait and see with another hound!

If I get flamed for this, so be it. I will do whatever I have to for him.

I got some great info from Marilyn (Thanks Burbdog for telling me to contact her).

I contacted OSU and already got a reply.

I am going to do a urine culture along with the U/S tomorrow. Depending on those results, a round of ABT's.

Thanks for the suggestions and please pray for my boy. I love him so much and can't be without him yet.

Kari and the pups.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Just a quick tip about catching urine----soup ladle with a long handle :-)

Fingers crossed for tomorrow.

Edited to add-have you ever checked for tbd's? Could explain the elevated globulin.

Edited by tbhounds

In 2009, his glob was 2.3 and 2010 2.7

I can't find his 2011 bloodwork

He was a blood donor and they usually run a TBD test but I don't see the results. Maybe they just started doing that.

I'll ask for a 4DX tomorrow.

He's no longer a blood donor- he stressed too much. I think he donated twice and I said I couldn't do it anymore with him.

Kari and the pups.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Oh thinking good thoughts for Lucky! No words of wisdom but hope the anti biotics help!!

gallery_4518_2903_10272.jpg
Donna and...Lucy and Chubb
Rascal H 10/1/91-5/22/04 My best friend and Bounty Boon 1/23/99-6/25/07 My boy with the biggest heart
Cody 7/28/99-8/1/13 My boy that always made me laugh and Dylan 5/12/04-12/29/2017 The sweetest boy ever

Miss Mollie 1/1/99-1/30/15 and Pixie :heart:heart-10/10/2017 Lincoln :heart-2/14/2021

I am going to do the U/S- I have to. I have to know what's wrong with him.

Passion could have a brain tumor- I refuse to put her under to do an MRI to find out. The wait and see is killing me with her.

I have to do every test for Lucky. I just can't wait and see with another hound!

If I get flamed for this, so be it. I will do whatever I have to for him.

No flames, not even a spark. Just good wishes for a totally normal, boring U/S & a hound that is as calm as possible under the circumstances.

Here's the reply from OSU

Hi Kari - thanks for the info about Lucky. I've attached an article which has a chart on the first page outlining expected bloodwork differences in Greyhounds versus normal laboratory ranges. You'll note that typically globulins and neutrophils are lower than usual. Lucky's bloodwork is higher than normal in both values. *Usually* globulins and neutrophils (a type of white blood cell) increase with inflammation, which often is caused by infection. The big question is what kind of infection and where it is, of course. There are other potential causes, such as neoplasia.

You have choices about the diagnostic plan. A urinalysis, urine culture/sensitivity, bloodwork (chemistry), and abdominal ultrasound (by a boarded radiologist) are all potential tests that can be done. You'll want to rely on your vet to assess which should be done, and in what order. But these are definitely all reasonable at this point.

I hope this helps - let me know what happens,

=========================

I wasn't going to come to work this morning but I have too much to do. Lucky is napping by my feet. He's been here before so was only nervous for the first 20 minutes.

Edited by Wonder

Kari and the pups.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Dylan did not have to be drugged or asleep for his U/S. He did awesome. Also, the U/S should be a full ABD. not just a UT view. I watched Dylan's and it was pretty cool. But than again, I have watched my own U/S's so many times that I gave my "girly" cysts names. :rofl :rofl

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

What were his WBC and neutrophils?

None of mine have ever been put out for ultrasound either.

Nothing wrong with doing the ultrasound, not at all. Just, the most likely problem is plain old infection and it might save you some $ to start there.

:( Keeping fingers crossed that it is all benign.