Bonding With My New Greyhound

Guest milkymoon

Guest milkymoon

Hello friends! I am both new to GreyTalk and to the world of greyhound rescue. A little over a week ago, I brought a beautiful three year old black female greyhound into my life! Her transition into my home has been easy for me, she came from a foster home and has a great handle on housetraining (she has only had one accident in the house since she has been here, and it was on her first day), she is easy to walk on lead, has decided sleeping in my bed is just grand, and she has had a healthy appetite from day one. We have been to our first well vet visit and she recieved a clean bill of health and was on her best behavior.

The only thing that concerns me (slightly) is that she seems to be acting different than her foster family had described (affectionate, energetic, and cuddly). I imagine it is because she was in her foster home for about three months before arriving here, and most likely got quite attached to her new family. Every day I see her taking steps in the right direction, but I was wondering what your experiences were with your greys settling in and bonding to you, and if you have any advice as to what I can do to reassure her that she is loved and will not be abandoned by her new family!

The best advice I believe in adopting a Grey is patience. Not knowing your pups's history, one has to consider what they have come from and their daily routine to being shipped off to an adoption group. From there sometimes it's a foster home sometimes not and then hopefully eventually to their forever home. That is a lot of change for pup who is used to being at a racing kennel or farm and surrounded by other Greys. She will take a bit of time to get settled but I am sure she will blossom and be like the foster family described. Our pups took months to get settled as they came off the track after years of racing and then to the adoption group and then our home, it was a lot of change for them but they both blossomed into wonderful pups.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

I think you are on spot in your thinking. She sounds like she is dong great for one week in. She'll come around.

My only advice is dont push it. Set routines - dogs love routines and mine have adapted to some at what many people would think are very odd hours - and go on about your life. She'll fit in in no time and become her cuddly self. Let her come to you - don't push the cuddling issue.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Guest newgreymama

Congrats on your new pup! What has been working for us is letting her sort of take the lead and making sure that she knows that all the good things in life come from us. In the beginning, lots of cookies, loves, scritches, but also giving her her space and letting her just settle in on her own. Taking her as many places as I could helped too. We go for walks a lot--she really enjoys that. We are doing that with our new big guy as well, and hopefully it will work as swimmingly as it has with Cora. Good luck!

You will read tons of advice...all of which will say to give her time. She is new, been through another change, doesn't know her new people or surroundings, etc. She will come out of her shell over time and given she was fostered, could be weeks or maybe even longer. It isn't unusual for non fostered (ie: straight from the track) dogs to take 6 months or more to really reveal themselves. It's great fun watching them grow into your home. So, enjoy it!!

Congratulations on your new girl - please post a pic if you have a chance!

Doe's Bruciebaby Doe's Bumper

Derek

Follow my Ironman journeys and life with dogs, cats and busy kids: A long road

Some walk in and are right at home from day one and others take a few weeks. She was bonded to her foster family so may take a little while to bond to you. Find out what she liked in her foster home. It may be stuffed animals, balls, frisbee's or something along those lines. You may find she starts to come around more quickly if you spend time doing the things she likes most. Congratulations!

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

I've only had my guy for just over a week, I was warned in advance that he will take time to warm up to us. So I'm just letting him get settled in and keeping him on a schedule, I use feeding him as a bonding as train time, lots of brushing. He has warmed up to me more that the rest of the family, it will take time but will be well worth the wait. Praise everything positive he does, even comforting himself in the crate/bed.

Guest milkymoon

Thanks so much for all the responses so quickly! It is good to be reassured that she will settle in just fine. I also feel very grateful to have contact with her foster family (they have been so kind and even recommended the toys she enjoyed playing with most, so an exciting package should be arriving for her soon with her favorite kinds of squeaky plushes!) Here's a picture of my little lady napping on the floor (she's since decided that her bed and my bed are much more comfortable and prefers to nap in either of those locations instead! :nappy )

0880cf942c3a11e29a9c22000a1fbe09_7.jpg

Guest milkymoon

She is beautiful. Love it that she is already grey sprinkles in the face at 3 - Buck had them at 4. Grey faced black dogs are my very favorites. Who is her sire?

Thank you! I agree, grey faced black dogs always look especially dignified! About her sire: greyhound-data says it was Flying Penske, but for whatever reason, I feel like I had read something different in her information (her vet has her folder of information currently, but when I pick it up again, I will let you know).

Welcome to GT from VA! Your girl is gorgeous, although I might be a little partial to black girlhounds with white toes. :)

It sounds like she's doing great so far. You'll have a lot of fun these coming few months as she reveals her personality to you!

Laura, mom to Luna (Boc's Duchess) and Nova (Atascocita Venus).
Forever in my heart, Phantom (Tequila Nights) and Zippy (Iruska Monte).

Yes...would love to know her family tree!!! She is beautiful.

As far as bonding...as others have said...each is different...the joy is in watching those personalities blossom.

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Guest jaws4evr

She's so pretty!

Sounds like you guys are on the right track. The bonding will happen with time since she sounds happy and well adjusted. I found ours loved the grooming experience for her initial bonding time, it was a nice combination of touching/scratching, and asking her to do things for me (stand still, have her feet moved and tail touched, etc). She even adores having her toes clipped now, she knows it means belly rubs and treats! Cutiepie.

Ours also loved walks as bonding time, she seemed to like seeing that I was in control of her life and there were still routines and directions for her to follow. She loves having little things to do for me, like come and stand still for leashing etc. :)

It does often take a surprising amount of time for their "true" personality to come out. Our female still surprises us and we've had her for three years!

One recommendation, keep to a normal schedule that youe xpect to keep. Don't adjust your schedule very far away from "normal", so when you DO revert to a "normal" schedule she doesn't have to adjust to that too.

I babied our girl a bit too much when we brought her home... thus I think she bonded a bit TOO strongly to me, and we had to backtrack a bit to manage her anxiety when I'm not there.

Guest BlackandTan

1 of my boys didnt start showing his true colors for many months! I can tell you it was well worth it! The ones that you have to earn there trust seem to really make it worth it :)

Do you remember her racing name?

They're so worth the wait. One of ours, our first, was almost too friendly - she adored loving and cuddling from day one. Paige, our little black diva, took longer. She was so aloof that I remember after having her for over three weeks, sitting on the couch and looking at her and thinking 'I don't think I can do this.' She just seemed so shut off and unresponsive. She looked over at me, walked over and climbed onto the couch beside me, put her head in my lap and gave a huge, shuddering sigh. I felt her body relax completely against me. And I realised that for three weeks she'd only just been holding it together and, far from being the confident little girl she'd been described to us as, she was actually an intense, nervy little thing, who's all spit and vinegar but who takes time to let her guard down. It took a further four months before she would lean against my husband like that.

Time and lots of affection will be your friends.

Welcome to the family.

The saying is that the dog you bring home is not the dog you'll have in 6 months. They change as they relax, learn the ropes and bond with their new people.

Enjoy watching her blossom! :)

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg

Congrats on your beautiful black girlie! :confetti

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Just repeating what everyone else has said, she doesn't yet know you and she belong to each other. When that happens, and it will probably fairly soon, I expect you will see that girl the foster family described emerge and blossom! She is gorgeous!!

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

Guest Playful_Grey

What a beautiful girl! Congratulations!!! Sounds like you are a thoughtful caring Mom. The lady who fostered my girl said its like peeling layers on an onion. I adopted my girl just over a year ago and while we connected right away - some where around the first year mark she finally knows in her heart this is her home. You are both blessed!

Congrats!

I say you are both on the right track. My 2 were both really shy. My first wouldn't leave his crate for 2 months without me crawling in and putting a leash on him to pull him out. My second wouldn't let me pet him for over a week. 2 years later and he still doesn't enjoy strangers petting him, but he LOVES when I do.