Mushroom Derived Compound May Treat Hemangiosarcoma

I don't know how reputable Science Daily is, but the research was done by the University of Pennsylvania Vet School. It is obviously just one small study and will still need much more research, but perhaps there is some hope for a better treatment for hemangio. We can hope and pray.....

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/09/120910161556.htm

Jane

It's nice to see a study actually done on dogs.

An older study showed that maitake mushroom extract was effective at killing canine cancer cells of various types. The potential issue with that study though was that the study was done in a lab, which doesn't let you evaluate the efficacy of a specific dose size (how the supplement might be absorbed, etc.). Still, I thought the results were strong enough to move the maitake toward the top of my list of supplements I decided to give Neyla for her osteo. I was able to purchase the exact supplement they used in the study - it was a bit expensive, $50 for about 2 months but I figured it was worth a shot.

Will see if I can dig up the study.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Related - There was just an article on our local news about a man who successfully self-treated his advanced prostate cancer with various muchroom extracts. It seems there is finally some sort of advances being made in treatment options for cancer being made. This, and the news from OSU, gives me so much hope for the future.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Jane, thank you so much for sharing this. The one big drawback is the cost. To dose Bruiser at 55mg/kg it would cost $313.00 for a 40 day supply. We just celebrated his 3 month post splenectomy anniversary and I would love for him to be part of that 10% that makes it past a year. I wonder how the outcome would be affected when given in addition to chemotherapy. He goes in a week from Tuesday for his final chemo treatment and I have to say that except for a few days of depressed appetite after his 3rd treatment he's done amazingly well. He has had some bleeds, but Yunnan Baiyao has proven to be very beneficial in keeping them under control so far. I'm not sure how much of a role all the other supplements I'm giving him are playing a part in that also, but I definitely think they are helping. I'm going to have to give this very serious consideration. I know they didn't do it in the study, but I may look at pulsing it to lessen the cost. Please consider yourself virtually hugged Jane :bighug

Jen, I would love to read that study if you can locate it. Perhaps that is also an option I can consider.

Yes, thanks Jane. We had Charlie on Maitake mushroom (dried) from Mountain Rose Herbs. We know it helped him and would recommend it.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Do any of these mushroom supplements work preventatively, or only as treatments?

There's a lot of info online about the benefits of maitake mushrooms used to enhanced the immune system and prevent diseases including cancer. Here's a fairly short article summarizing the perceived benefits:

6 Health Benefits of Maitake Mushrooms

Published on August 15, 2011

maitake-sm.jpgThe maitake mushroom has been prized in Asia for thousands of years for its health benefits. The Japanese word "maitake" means "dancing mushroom," a name derived from the reaction of people having found these mushrooms, which were actually worth their weight in silver.

Modern research on the maitake mushroom only began in Japan in the 1980s and has just recently begun to be conducted to the United States. Most research has been done on the extract rather than the fresh mushroom and tests on humans are limited.

Here are six health benefits of maitake mushrooms.

Cancer Prevention

Maitake mushrooms are highly sought after for their anti cancer properties. They are abundant in polysaccharides and polysaccharide-protein complexes that the body uses to fortify the immune system. The mushroom’s beta-glucan content works to promote important immune system functions, effectively activating white blood cells that fight off microorganisms that cause disease, including cancer. Maitake mushrooms enhance the activity of cells, inducing the production of interleukins and other lymphokines that have chemo protective effects, slow tumor growth, and help to inhibit the spread of cancer.

Immune System Support

Maitake mushrooms grow primarily in northeastern Japan and the United States, and are esteemed by traditional Chinese medicine for fighting disease and improving immunity. Regular consumption of maitake enhances the immune system as well as lowers blood pressure. The most effective ingredient in the mushroom is its beta-glucan, a polysaccharide compound that boosts the immune system through the activation of macrophage cells, natural killer cells and T-cells. These cells play an important role in building general immunity and preventing free radicals from harming the body's systems.

Blood Sugar Control

The consumption of maitake mushrooms may regulate blood sugar levels and blood lipid levels. The polysaccharide compounds that promote the strength of the immune system are also effective in helping to regulate blood pressure, glucose, insulin and lipids. This effect is especially beneficial for people with diabetes or hypoglycemia. People with Type 2 Diabetes may also benefit from maitake mushrooms. Scientists have studied a specific, high-molecular polysaccharide in maitake called the X-fraction. Research results suggest that maitake mushrooms can reduce insulin resistance and increase insulin sensitivity.

Lower Blood Pressure

Research on animals suggests that maitake may help lower blood pressure in people. One study gave hypertensive rats a 5% maitake mushroom powder and observed a reduction in blood pressure. Similar results were seen from another study on rats, in which maitake lowered blood pressure from 200 to 115 mm Hg in just 4 hours. In an unpublished trial on humans, eleven patients with hypertension took 500 mg of maitake mushroom pills twice a day. A mean decrease in diastolic blood pressure of approximately 8 mm Hg and a mean decrease in systolic blood pressure of about 14 mm Hg were reported.

Lower Cholesterol

In one study on hyperlipidemic rats, maitake changed lipid metabolism through inhibiting the aggregation of liver lipids and the raising of serum lipids. Similar results were seen in rats fed a high-cholesterol diet. In another study, rats given powdered mushroom preparations saw a drop in both total cholesterol and very low-density lipoprotein-cholesterol.

Weight Loss

Maitake mushrooms can promote weight loss and decrease obesity when combined with light exercise. Studies on overweight rats fed maitake powder found that after 18 weeks, they had lost weight compared with controls. They contain no cholesterol, no fats and are very low carbohydrates. Additionally, the high lean protein content of mushrooms helps burn cholesterol in digestion.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

It's nice to see a study actually done on dogs.

An older study showed that maitake mushroom extract was effective at killing canine cancer cells of various types. The potential issue with that study though was that the study was done in a lab, which doesn't let you evaluate the efficacy of a specific dose size (how the supplement might be absorbed, etc.). Still, I thought the results were strong enough to move the maitake toward the top of my list of supplements I decided to give Neyla for her osteo. I was able to purchase the exact supplement they used in the study - it was a bit expensive, $50 for about 2 months but I figured it was worth a shot.

Will see if I can dig up the study.

Jen, I would love to read that study if you can locate it. Perhaps that is also an option I can consider.

Here's a direct link to the article. Let me know if it doesn't work.

ETA: This is the brand of extract I brought. They make a few different strengths, can't remember which one I settled on, but you need to look closely at the dosage and number of drops to get that dosage to decide which one is the most cost effective. I remember it being a little less than straightforward.

Edited by NeylasMom

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Thanks for posting this, offers some hope for other dogs unfortunate enough to get this horrible disease.

med_gallery_14228_2915_582.jpg
Roberta & Michael with Furkids- Flower (Shasta Flowers 6/7/06) & Rascal the kitty - Missing our sweet angels - Max(M's Mad Max) 10/12/02 - 12/3/15, Sara (Sara Raves 6/30/01 - 4/13/12) Queenie & Pandora the kitties - gone but never forgotten