Nube Is Not Eating -- Need Help Asap

Sadly, I know right where you're at. We were in this same place with our LuluBelle in her last couple of weeks. Her appetite started to wane, and finally she just would not eat, so I exhausted myself trying to be creative. At this stage, they get whatever they want, whether it's good for them or not. It would take me an hour in the morning, and I would spend two hours at night when I got home from work trying to get her to eat anything she would accept. It was very difficult to figure out what appealed to her on what days.

What I found was whatever worked on one day, never worked again...not even by the next day. I had more containers of leftovers in my fridge than if I cooked for a huge party and nobody showed up. Some things I found to work:

Satin Balls - while Lulu never ate raw, she devoured these for several days in a row.

Canned dog food, the meatloaf consistancy kind over the chunky stuff with the gravies

Melted peanut butter mixed into regular kibble

Toast smeared with peanut butter

Deli roast beef

Deli Turkey Breast

Baby meats in a jar - she would usually eat four in a row - they are really tiny, but it was something

Vanilla Ensure - had to be very cold!

Boiled chicken livers and gizzards

Dry Cheerios - they make peanut butter ones now too!

Sending hugs and good thoughts your way during this very difficult time!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:( {{{{{{{{{{Nube & mom & dad}}}}}}}}}}

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest saltwaterron

sorry to hear you are having to go through this. i just came through a week-10 period where riley only wanted one meal a day. when our pets don't eat it is a concern. riley started to eat again sunday. i mix rice and chicken broth her food. so far so good. hope your situation resolves itself soon...

Guest patterpaws

I second all the opinions for feeding him whatever he wants to eat, even if its only treats. During Tristan's recovery from the amputation, there were a few weeks where the majority of his food was only treats.

Another thought.... towards end of life, it is natural for a person/animal to not eat as much. I remember learning this during hospice when my grandfather was dying, and also reading "On Death and Dying" by Elizabeth Kubler Ross. It could be that Nube is tired and his body is slowing down. I don't know, I'm not there in person to see him, you are the best judge.

I wish I could heal Nube, take away all the pain he is in and help you all to feel better again. :(

:( i dont have any advice, just hugs. Im so sorry.

Mom to Macho (JS XtremeMachine 1/12/2007 -8/17/2012 ... Gotcha day 9/2/2011. I miss you BigMan)
Moonbeam (Ninos Full Moon 11/1/2009, Gotcha day 9/2/2012), Hattie (Kiowa Hats Off 4/14/2011, Gotcha day 10/13/2012), Keiva (JS Igotyourbooty 1/12/2007, Gotcha Day 1/8/2014)
Jimmy (Blu Too James 06/26/2014, Gotcha day 09/12/2015)
, a shepard mix named Tista, some cats, and some reptiles.

Guest undergreysspell

When my girl was in the last stages of kidney failure and lost her appetite the vet gave her mirtazepine...It really worked fast and she got her appetite back quickly. I would definitely try it.

Sutra's favorite things were:

Bob Evans mashed potatoes

Bob Evans or Country Crock Mac & Cheese

Plain oatmeal

Quaker cinnamon roll instant oatmeal

Turkey baby food

Cottage cheese

When he was sick and not eating, I syringe fed him mashed potatoes mixed with vanilla Ensure. That always got him going.

Has he had a CPL test run to check for pancreatitis?

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Hi, my grey is doing something similar, liking the treats but leaving kibble. I am mixing it with, low sodium broth, yogurt or other things to get him to eat. Senior panel and urine test all came out with really good marks, he as dropped weight too, will be 10. He is still getting on the couch, jumped on the counter for a treat and never does that, I thought that very odd. They put him in rimydyl, is there any good alternative? Maybe just an old guy?

Here are some ideas, the smellier the better:

store bought roasted chicken - it has more fat than homemade

McDonald's (or any fast food) - hamburgers or chicken

the cheapest brands of canned dog food - not the best nutrition but neither is not eating

Beneful Prepared meals - I wish I'd known about these when Dude was still alive

Dude didn't want to eat out of his bowl so I ended up spoon feeding him many times. Sometimes he would eat off a plate - especially if it was one he'd just seen us using.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Oh Kim -- I'm so sorry to hear about Nube.

If Stella /Chewy's, tripe, or cooked chicken livers are things you haven't tried yet, I'd be happy to meet you tonight or tomorrow morning to try them as well. They're all stock items in my house, and my work schedule is pretty flexible right now.

Feel free to call anytime (really ... I'll answer the phone as long as I hear it ring. Just know that between 11p & 6a, you must start your call by saying "this is not an emergency") ... 630 567 0506.

Oh, Kim, this is so hard for you guys right now. Nube is doing the best he can and for whatever reason, he doesn't want real food. I would feed him whatever he wants, he deserves it. I didn't have to go through this with Hurley except on his last night: he refused all raw meaty bone food (maybe not the best thing to offer to him when we knew the cancer was in his lungs) except a boneless chicken breast. I knew that was odd for our chowhound but he was legitimately sick. Then within an hour, we knew he was in a terrible way and rushed him to our e-vet. End of his particular story. I never had that day with the ice cream and the hot dogs and McDonald's and I am glad it didn't drag out.

I hope you get some answers and that you have more time. You are doing all you can for him and it isn't easy to be that decision-maker. You have all my good thoughts and prayers!!!

Bow Wow Wow Yippie Yo Yippie Yay :)

Siggy4.jpg

Johanna with hounds: Woodie (Molly's Marvin) (Grenade X Kh Molly) and Petra (Make Her a Pet) (Dodgem By Design X Late Nite Oasis)

and forever missing Hurley (Jel Try Out) (Gable Dodge X Kings Teresa) with Kalapaki Beach in Kauai as the background

Ah, that's something to consider too - the feeding vessel. Sutra would not eat out of his usual steel bowl. I fed him out of Corelle salad serving bowls, small salad bowls, plates, and platters. Plastic spoons only - he didn't like eating from actual silverware.

Sometimes I would make up whatever I was going to try to feed him and sit down and pretend to eat it myself for a second and then ask him if he wanted some. It sounds SO silly but it tricked him into wanting it because he thought it was MY food and therefore special.

Hope that today is better...

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Guest OPointyDog

I'm so sorry to hear that Nube isn't feeling well. I've been following his story and hoping he'd have more time with you.

Our grey/shepard mix had cancer at the end of her life, and stopped eating at one point. She was always a VERY picky eater so getting her to eat when she was sick was even harder. I bought cans of "gourmet" food for little dogs - she liked the fillet mingon flavor for some reason, but stopped eating even that. Then we tried mirtazapine and had rather miraculous results. She lived another 4 months after that with pretty good quality of life.

If a dog on a NSAID stops eating, you are suppose to stop the NSAID immediately. Look at upping the tramadol or adding morphine.

Try meat and any treats he'll eat. Something is better than nothing. Lorna Doone cookies seems to be a good end stage option as is Mighty Dog beef (ground).

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Diane is right - Mighty dog is a good option. It is so rich many times they'll eat it when they don't want others. Sheba cat food does the same thing because it is so stinky.

I will never ever give a greyhound morophine again after Rex. I said OK when the vet asked if I was able to watch Rex vomit when he gave it. Had no idea I'd spend the next 10 hours with him in distress, pacing and panting and fighting it.

BIG :grouphug

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Mirtazapine has kept my galgo with renal failure eating fairly well for the past couple of months. :grouphug :grouphug to you and Nubes.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Checking-in on Nube. Kim, as you know, Sadie got to a point where she would not eat. It's a horrible, helpless feeling. I hope that you discover something he's willing to eat: scrambled eggs, ensure, hotdogs, and all the things mentioned on here. Is he still eating treats? Is he eating anything at all? What you are describing is more than Sadie ate. So, if he's now still eating something, then that's good. If he's not eating at all for a couple of days then I think you have more of an answer.

As for his behavior being playful I discussed this type of thing with my doctor, the vet, my parents, and others because Sadie was so perky on her walk right before we let her go in comparison to the prior 2 weeks and it haunted me. There is a phenomena called "the final rally". It's just something to also consider.

You could always ask/pray for a sign. I am NOT religious at all. But I was struggling in a similar position. I asked for a sign and got it. Take care of yourself and give Nube some hugs from me.

finalsiggy.jpg