I Only Cried Twice Today....

Guest Alysmom

Guest Alysmom

I just wanted to take a minute and say thank you again to all of you who offered electronic tributes, hugs, flowers and support to me at the loss of my Homer 10 days ago. I am starting to be able to talk about him without crying every minute, so I guess I am doing better. I still miss him horribly. I know I am not completely done crying, but at least I am making it thru my day. I will always miss him!!!!!

I contacted a couple of rescue groups. I think the one I will look at most seriously is the one that fosters every dog first. The other group, although good (where I got him from), there are concerns in my mind. I found him at a pet store when they had a "meet & greet".... A guy just followed me home, looked at my house and left him. Nobody ever followed up. when I contacted them later with SA issues, they just said, "bring him back". Well - we worked thru it, but I kind of had to figure it out on my own. They are nice, they do great things, I just think I need a little more support. Also the other group is very, very thorough about vetting them besides just spay or neuter. The do all the hounds teeth (not just the old ones) and they do complete blood work on every hound to make sure they're healthy. The come out to the house before they approve the application too (which I think is much better) to make sure they understand what the needs of the house are to find the right dog.

I dont know that I am ready yet, but I know that it has done my heart good just to look for some reason. Maybe it is from the encouragement of all of you. I really think Homer would want me to give another hound a nice home to live in, since he cannot come back :( It may not happen for awhile, but just browsing all the hounds and thinking about it helps me to be encouraged that my heart doesnt have to always feel so broken....

I am planning on doing some volunteer work first. I think a little hound time will be very good.

Thanks again for the support and encouragement.... I'll keep you all posted....

You've got so much love for Homer and it will grow and include another hound some day. The group that you prefer sounds much like my group regarding pre-adoption care and support with lots of follow up if needed. How exciting to think that some day in the future a Greyhound looking for someone to love her/him completely will be adopted by your family. How lucky that dog will be to have such a wonderful forever home.

It helped me to look right away when my Jack died, too. When the time is right, you will find the hound that is right for you. I'm glad you are doing a little better. It takes time. I took it hour by hour in the beginning and then day by day. The crying time will become less often and not last as long. There will be setbacks from time to time. I think that is normal or at least that is how it was for me.

Patty,

Mom to Jaxson 5/12/2017

Forever in my heart: Joey 11/01/2007 to 12/06/2018, Scout 11/19/2005 to 07/15/15 and Jack 01/03/2004 to 06/11/2011

:grouphug So sorry for your loss. Many of us know just how heart breaking it is when we lose one of our houndies. My Sonya died very unexpectedly in the parking lot of the e-vet and that was 6 years ago. We are aware of how much your miss Homer and know that when you are ready you will open your heart to another. You will never forget Homer and he will be watching over you when you welcome another.

I lost Sabrina on 6-14 & I was totally a wreck. No matter how many tears or memories we have they dont come back I got another grey, Daphne on 7-15. She & I are getting to know each other better every day

gallery_19924_3574_6591.jpg

Caroline, Mom to Daphne (49B-50215) and Penny (41D-55779)
Remembering Bridge Angels Margo and Sabrina

:bighug

Mom to Macho (JS XtremeMachine 1/12/2007 -8/17/2012 ... Gotcha day 9/2/2011. I miss you BigMan)
Moonbeam (Ninos Full Moon 11/1/2009, Gotcha day 9/2/2012), Hattie (Kiowa Hats Off 4/14/2011, Gotcha day 10/13/2012), Keiva (JS Igotyourbooty 1/12/2007, Gotcha Day 1/8/2014)
Jimmy (Blu Too James 06/26/2014, Gotcha day 09/12/2015)
, a shepard mix named Tista, some cats, and some reptiles.

:grouphug How wonderful that you are even thinking about adoption...it is a wonderful way to honour him and all the goodness in him.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Guest PiagetsMom

Alysmom, when I lost my girl, Piaget, the whole first week I was a wreck, and it took me several weeks before I didn't find myself randomly crying. I hope that you are being kind and patient with yourself - it will get better. :grouphug

Guest Alysmom

Hi again -- After I posted this, I cried.... so I guess I lied!!!!!! But overall, I did cry less yesterday than the day before. There is "random crying" and I still look at the spots where he had beds in our house (3 places!!) and cry. I had my husband take the beds, toys, everything out of here before I got home the day he died. I just cannot look at it, not yet. His box with his ashes in it is still in the bag.... I cannot bring myself to look at that yet either. I am guessing when I am ready to take out the dog beds and take off the covers and wash them and I am ready to put his ashes on the shelf where I keep the ashes from my other beloved pets that have passed.... then I will be ready for another hound. I have a little shelf right here in my office (where I spend a lot of time) and on that shelf are 3 little boxes from 3 other beloveds (2 kitties and 1 sweet cocker spaniel). One day, I will spread them out in the pasture (so when I am gone they are not randomly disposed!!) When my great aunt passed away last year, she had the ashes from when her mother's dog passed (she was 94) sometime in the 60's.... the ashes are sealed in a solid bronze cube.... I don't want my pet's ashes ending up like that.... random sitting someplace with someone who didn't even know what kind of dog it was, etc. (Most would probably throw it out or take it to get the money for the bronze!!) Anyway, sad that the remains are sitting there.... I need to figure out somehow to get them out and spread them too (sealed solid block!!!) She had ashes from her 2 kitties and I lovingly spread them for her and burned the cardboard boxes.... Dang, this is all sooooo hard!!!!

Still missing my boy sooooooooooooo much......

Julie

I lost Sabrina on 6-14 & I was totally a wreck. No matter how many tears or memories we have they dont come back I got another grey, Daphne on 7-15. She & I are getting to know each other better every day

Your Daphne holds her ears like my Homer did most of the time.... It made me laugh so hard, we called it his "ear issues"..... Her pic makes me smile!!!!!! And I agree "wreck" is a good word for how I feel too.... Did getting Daphne help the pangs of pain to subside? Did it help you to stop looking for Sabrina all the time? That is what I am hoping another dog will do for me. How was the transition into your home? Do you have other pets? Please tell me your story, I'd love to hear how your story has unfolded. Your Sabrina was beautiful. Daphne is cute as a bug!!!! You are blessed to be sure.... Hugs, Julie

We lost Bee Wiseman on October 13. Holly came home on November 12.

We did not plan on adopting again so soon, but we were miserable and Murray was lonely. Bringing Holly home so soon after losing Bee really helped us all to begin healing.

It gets easier in time. :grouphug

4894718087_9910a46faa_d.jpg

Tricia with Kyle, our senior mutt dog 
Always missing Murray MaldivesBee Wiseman, River, Hopper, Kaia, and 
Holly Oaks Holly
“You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.“          -Bob Dylan

Sometimes it's good to get a another right away, sometimes not. It is very personal.

But when I lost my Topaz 12 yrs ago, I adopted Onyx 3 weeks later. We had trouble bonding. If you can get hold of CG magazine Summer 2001, look for the article Onyx: from Eggplant to Blossom. It details my journey after the loss of a 5 yr old and the adoption of a 4 yr old. (or google the article. I believe it's online somewhere)

By the way, I had Onyx until she was 15.5. It made up for me losing Topaz at 5.

:grouphug

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

After LadyBug died (I can finally say that; I used to say she went to The Bridge, or passed, or something like that), I was sure that four would be my new normal. I avoided all adoption sites and popped onto GT only to read and occasionally post. One day there was a thread about older greyhounds in need of homes. I looked, clicked twice, and found a brother of Pal's. I was sure he was too far away for me to think seriously about adopting him so I felt comfortable reading about him ... and shortly after that filling out an application ... If you have read any threads here about Seamus, The Multi-Talented, you know that I didn't just adopt another greyhound: there is no doubt that LadyBug sent a heart healer to me and her littermate, Zeke-aroni. We had been so lost. Do we still miss her? Every single day. Are we able now to laugh and smile? We are. The tears still come but not every day and they're different now. You'll see. :grouphug

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.