Suggestion For Less Expensive Kibble To Donate To Shelter?

Our country shelter put out an urgent request for food donations today. I would like to send some over...my dog eats acana and instinct. If i can determine a still good quality kibble that costs less than these two i can send many more bags over but am unsure what would be best to donate as i really am not familiar with most kibbles. I know the kirkland stuff isnt bad but because of my work schedule i wanted to order from one of the local distributors that deliver so need something that would be found at the big pet supply, feed stores, premium boutiques, etc.

Any suggestions? Maybe some of you that have worked in shelters have a suggestion on the foods they typically welcome?

Edited by greytlucy

If your shelter is that strapped I'd honestly suggest Purina Dog Chow. It's not quite as bad as some other lower end kibble and you can help a lot more dogs get by vs. more expensive brands. They can eat quality kibbble when they get out. Now you just have to give them food to last them until they get out.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Call and ask if they have a preferred food.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Call and ask if they have a preferred food.

This would be the best course of action. Even if it's not what one would think as a good food it's only being fed until they get to their permanent home as Pam mentioned and it avoids the group having to change kibbles which can be upsetting to the dogs' system.

The shelters, dog and cat, in my area are happy to get whatever they can to feed hungry animals, but just FYI: I have a friend with 4 Greyhounds and she's fed them Pedigree for years. She has the lowest vet bills of most of us. They're never sick or have issues.

Guest WhenIGiveIn

I agree with the idea of asking the shelter if they have a preffered food. They will likly take anything but if you can buy them what they usually feed it makes things much easier on them and the dogs. And I would just like to say THANK YOU! for helping your shelters! I was at the humane society over the weekend looking for a kitten and every time I swing in I bring them something. Dog food, cat food, litter.. oh and a box of treats that I hand out... its the little things sometimes.

Yep, call and ask if they have a preferred food. If they say "Whatever we can get", ask if there's something they absolutely cannot feed the dogs. I know my shelter takes in every donation they get, but they can't feed Ol Roy because it's just so horrible and tends to give all the dogs really bad D. They store food in large clean trashcans - when the trashcan is empty, they'll open a few bags, mix it together, and feed until that's empty. I think feeding this way keeps the dogs from getting too used to a particular type of food and they don't get sick when the food changes the next week. Anyway, my point is that asking your shelter is the best policy, but as long as you get something decent, like Pedigree or Purina or something, they'll appreciate it.

And yes, thank you!!! for donating! Shelters need all the help they can get these days.

Mom of bridge babies Regis and Dusty.

Wrote a book about shelter dogs!

I sell things on Etsy!

First all, Thank you for helping your county shelter. When I donate food, I give pedigree as I get a 55 pound bag for like 25.00 at Sam's Club and I get them dog cookies as well.

Amy Human Mommy to fur baby Maddie (Doobiesaurus) TDI certified. May 5, 2002-September 12, 2014 and Mille (Mac's Bayou Baby)CGC, TDI certified.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg"]http://i270. photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg[/img]

First all, Thank you for helping your county shelter. When I donate food, I give pedigree as I get a 55 pound bag for like 25.00 at Sam's Club and I get them dog cookies as well.

What Amy said. Thank you. I don't know if they still do this, on their website Pedigree used to have a matching-food program ... you buy a bag, they donate an additional bag.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Guest sirsmom

What Amy said. Thank you. I don't know if they still do this, on their website Pedigree used to have a matching-food program ... you buy a bag, they donate an additional bag.

Yes and I believe Pedigree is cheaper than Dog Chow or Iams

If you have a Southern States in your area that would be my reccommendation. It is FAR better and higher quality than Purina Dog Chow & Pedigree etc. and yet still very cheap. Its actually good food and the Naturals line while also very economical is hard to find fault with. They manufacture their own food with locally sourced ingredients-very qc oriented; never even known them to ever have a recall.

Purina or IAMS would be fine, I'm sure. Or - give cash. That way - they can get the best bang for the buck with what they feel is the best food for the money.

Probably - they're taking every bag of food they get - probably lots of little bags from people that want to help and can only give a little - and mixing it all together. The dogs are going to get a serious mix of good/bad/middle food anyway, so get something reasonable. Don't buy OL Roy though.