Rice Or Pasta?

Guest Scouts_mom

Guest Scouts_mom

My poor pup, Bree, has runny, soupy poop so I need to put her on a bland diet. I'm trying to remember if it is rice or pasta that goes with the cooked lean hamburger. I know what is recommended changed in recent years, but I don't remember what the current thinking is. Surely someone here knows.

Thanks!

We've used both successfully - either should be overcooked.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Either. Cooked well. Or coooked sweet potatoes. I prefer cooked chicken and cooked sweet potatoe for upset bellies, but if your dog can't have chicken- burger is fine. I'd rinse it to get the grease off though. Grease is a lubricant.

I go with cooked potato, white or sweet, over either rice or pasta. (Even used instant mashed potatoes with success.) Have also used cooked oatmeal with success. One dog here has wheat allergies & another has some intolerance of it so that's why I skip the pasta. All dogs here tolerate potatoes best, oatmeal second & rice is a distant third. Have used beef, chicken or turkey for bland diet. I don't rinse the meat, though I do strain the fat off.

I learned to boil hamburger if I'm giving it to the hounds ... it gets rid of virtually all fat (so I can buy a lesser grade without concern). If I get a lower fat content beef, I just put the beef into the rice & water when I cook it and everythings' cooked together at one time in one pot. If I get a fattier meat, then I boil it separately for about 10 minutes.

good luck for Bree!

In my experience, rice tends to go right through them without being really digested. Pasta or potatoes is what I use now. Poor Bree! I so enjoyed meeitng her on Saturday! What a cutie pie!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

White rice and hamburger. I don't rinse my hamburger but, then I'm getting the 88% so it's pretty lean. The first few days the rice may not be digested well but, after a few days they seem to adjust. You might also want to add a couple tablespoons of cooked oatmeal - the fiber is great for firming up the poop without making it rock hard ...

Also, if she's that bad, you might want to fast her a day or so before starting up food again.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest SoulsMom

Soul has IBD and when he had a flare a few weeks ago the only way I could get him to eat was to put boiled pasta in his food. It worked and hasn't upset his tummy. I'd already been giving the pasta to Zoe in her meals to keep weight on her. When she came to us she was "having trouble keeping weight on". Now no more dino back or pin bones sticking out :)

The one thing I don't like about rice is that there are small pieces that they can inhale. Pasta is larger. So I do prefer that.

If you double the amount of water and over cook the rice until it is a mush, there are no small pieces and it seems to calm their tummies better.