Introducing Eli (And His Loyal Human)

Roo

Hi everyone! Most online folks call me Roo, but I realize that's kind of a common word around here - it's actually followed me around the internet from another site where I went by Roo specifically because our Grey at the time was so talkative - she roo'ed all the time! Anyway, enough about the boring human... The doggy bit of this story is much more interesting (and pardon the length - I'm also a writer, so I tend to get long-winded..oops!). This whole adoption story has been like one big dream.

I grew up with Greys - my parents thought a Greyhound would be the perfect first dog for me, since I was terrified of most dogs because they were all so bouncy and excitable and Greys were...relatively calm and sweet and friendly. Our first was Regis (racing name War Talk, referred to around the kennel as Friendly, and named Regis by the family who had him before us), and the day I met him (I was 7 and he was 5) he walked up, nosed me on the shirt, and stood next to me for the rest of the day, almost as if to say "She's my human."

9331_1146719593577_223480_n.jpg

After Regis passed away (from osteo), we waited a couple years and adopted Dusty (SE's Dust Devil). When we went to the kennel for our first visits, she wasn't originally on our list. We adopted another boy, but returned him the next day because he bit me (I hadn't done anything to him - in fact, I was offering him a treat in the middle of the room and he just...bit me). The kennel manager found a foster home for the boy we returned and offered to let us foster-to-adopt another dog. My parents had a nice long list, but when I walked by Dusty's cage, she just stared at me, wagging. I told them we had to meet her and we all fell in love. She was only with us for about 4 years.

254212_1823496432575_886747_n.jpg

I tell you that portion of the story because it's kind of vital to the ending. A year after Dusty passed, GFNC had their Cinco de Mayo Open House - I'd been looking at all the adoptable dogs online and just couldn't get over this one picture. He was the color of Regis and had almost the exact same white markings as Dusty. I just knew I had to meet him, but I didn't tell Mom till we got there. I spent the week beforehand researching the costs involved in owning a dog, the amount of "spare" money I earned per month, and the logistics. I thought for sure that I'd meet him and wouldn't fall in love, or that I'd like him but my parents would say I wasn't ready (though I'm 22 now, I'm still at home while I finish college), or something - I just wanted to be prepared anyway.

When Mom and I got to GFNC that morning (five minutes before the event actually started - because I'm perpetually early), we looked at all the vendor stations and then found a volunteer to show us the dogs. I asked to see Dani (SS Sleepy Ardani) and they brought him out for me. I crouched down and the first thing he did was kiss my cheek. Then he wandered off, did his business, and came back. Mom patted him on the head and burst into tears, and I quickly followed suit. In addition to his looks being a combination of our first two Greys (down to the white tip on his tail and white diamond on the back of his neck), his personality was as well - laid back like Regis, but affectionate like Dusty. We hugged him and cried all over him and the volunteer asked if we wanted to put him on hold. Mom said we couldn't adopt a dog at this time (just as I expected) so I chimed in with "But I can." We took him on a walk and discussed the logistics. For every bit of doubt Mom had, I had reassurances. After twenty minutes, she agreed that I was old enough and responsible enough to have my own dog. I took a picture of him and texted it to Dad (when we talked later, he said "yes" almost right away - didn't take as much convincing as I thought!).

Fast forward through the adoption application and approval process and the fact that I went through hundreds of names trying to settle on the perfect one (finally decided on Elijah, "Eli" for short), and I'm now owned by my very own dog. I brought him home on May 18th, the day before his 2nd birthday (which is, oddly, exactly a month before Dusty's birthday). He's such a character and I'm loving every second of life with him. Watching him learn all new things (those two back stairs were positively terrifying at first) and realize that us humans can actually be good and loving is great. I'm not sure how well he was treated before he got to the adoption agency (or if someone in his life was mean to him at one point) - he cowers sometimes when we go near him, but a few loving neck-scratches later and his previous fears are all but forgotten.

The photo we sent to my Dad:

574541_3203475171181_86444373_n.jpg

578090_3378273061019_811822932_n.jpg

His new favorite thing to do:

532820_3384039045165_1172554802_n.jpg

Mom of bridge babies Regis and Dusty.

Wrote a book about shelter dogs!

I sell things on Etsy!

Eli is g-o-r-g-e-o-u-s!! Congrats! I love the name Eli too!

Tin and Michael and Lucas, Picasso, Hero, Oasis, Galina, Neizan, Enzo, Salvo and Noor the Galgos.
Remembering Bridge Angel Greyhounds: Tosca, Jamey, Master, Diego, and Ambi; plus Angel Galgos Jules, Marco and Baltasar.

Congratulations to you, Eli, and your terrific parents. No sane greyhound lover could have resisted the photo you sent to your dad! Good job! I have never seen a more beautiful greyhound.

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Guest zombrie

Wow, he is beyond gorgeous!! Congrats! And welcome to GT from a fellow young college student, I also recently adopted my first dog that isn't my family's :)

Guest HoundWorks

Congrats! Eli is beautiful. I got my boy Dexter when I got out of college as my "first dog" not counting family dogs and it was the best decision I ever made. Now we are adding a second hound on only two years later. Good luck with your new boy!

Congratulations! He is so very handsome. I look forward to hearing of your future adventures together!

gus-rainy-1.jpg?1449508527184&1449508632
CORY and CRICKET - Solitary Tremble & CASPER - Pj's Mia Farrow
* With CAPT. GUS - Solitary Trigger, RAINY - Peach Rain, PUP - Red Zepher, DOC - CTW Fort Sumpter
and MAX - Shiowa's Silver Maxamillion / Afghan .... all waiting at the bridge

Guest PhillyPups

:wave Hi and welcome to GT

I think it is awesome to have second generation greyhound adopters. You give a new viewpoint, one as an adult greyhound owner, and also as a child raised with greyhounds. Your experiences will be quite helpful here. :)

Congrats on Eli, he is one handsome hound.

You adopted from GFNC, were you at Mountainhounds? It is an awesome event. Where are you in NC?

Again, welcome to GT :wave

He's very handsome...congrats :confetti

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Welcome! I'd say more, but I'm still swooning over that second photo! :P

Kendra, devoted walker of Henry (Tom Jones: Great Son x Lucia)

Missing Badger (Vf Get R Done: Quicksand Slip x Ll Tee el See), 5/04 - 2/14, who opened our hearts and our home to greyhounds; Kenzie (Slatex Kenzie: Randy Handy x Slatex Chrisy), 4/03 - 10/14, who really knew what a good dog she was; Falcon (Atascocita Sabat: Dodgem by Design x Atascocita Barb), 9/10 - 1/20, who was grumpy and snarky but eventually a little bit cuddly, too; Grandpa Grey the Galgo Español, 2008 (?) to 2022, who made us feel lucky to be the ones to teach him about pet life; and Lucia (Larking About x Anastasia, 5/12 to 8/23), our first brood matron and the sweetest speckly girl. 

Welcome to GT. You've had some wonderful greyhounds in your life. Eli is so handsome with gorgeous coloring. He looks like a real sweetheart. It was lovely the way he came to you as if he knew that he belonged with you. Congratulations!

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

Eli might be the most beautiful brindle greyhound I've ever seen, in fact I'm sure he is. Congratulations, and the very best of luck with your sweet boy. Welcome!

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.