Akon Isn't Feeling Well.

Akon had a dental on Tuesday and seemingly sailed through it. No extractions and no meds required. He did receive and injectable NSAID while under anesthesia. On Thursday I noticed black tarry looking stools and called my vet who prescribed Carafate and Pepcid. I should also mention that while I was talking with my vet Thursday he vomited a large amt of undigested food. Seemed better on Fri in that stool color was normalizing and no vomiting, but yesterday vomited large amts of undigested food on 2 occasions. This morning he's quiet and doesn't seem interested in eating which is unusual. Today I plan to try a bland diet of chicken and pasta and see if that helps. Any other advice would be appreciated.

Edited to add that lab work at the time of the dental was normal.

Edited by riverbosun

Barbara
Majestic and Ranger

"If you want to hear the patter of little feet I'll put shoes on my dogs."

I would want him seen, with that much vomiting and now inappetence. Sending gentle scritchies and hopes he is much better soon.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

You know Michelle I thought of that this a.m. He did get into some rabbit poop in the yard a few weeks back. Interesting this is that Coyote seems fine. Likely I'll grab a stool sample and get it to my vet tomorrow.

Barbara
Majestic and Ranger

He MUST be seen by a vet asap (I'd ev en go to an E-Vet). The NSAID has caused a bleeding stomach ulcer and if it has unluckily burned thru the lining onto an artery rather than a vein it will be a lot more troublesome. As a human I suffered a bleeding ulcer and needed 7 pints of blood! Do not just wait and see with something like this

Sucralfate and one of those Kaolin-based pro-biotics plus maybe a higher dose of Omeprazole is needed.

Some dogs just can't tolerate that Rimadyl/Metacam class of drug.

I'm less alarmed than JohnF--after all, the NSAID was injected, not eaten, so I think there's less risk to the stomach. But I think I'd be headed to the e-vet for Akon's symptoms.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

I don't know if the symptoms are consistent, but I'd be worried about a blockage with the food coming back up undigested.

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

I'm sorry that Akon is having issues ...

Having a "black tarry" stool is pretty much saying it could be digested blood and with added vomiting that is telling me that he needs to get to vet immediately. If it was just one issue it might be able to wait for a day or so but, with both I would head to the ER vet. You also mentioned that he is "off his normal behavior" today, another reason to get to the vet.

Is he staying hydrated? Make him some chicken soup with a bit of pasta in it to keep him hydrated.

I'm sorry that Akon is having issues ...

Having a "black tarry" stool is pretty much saying it could be digested blood and with added vomiting that is telling me that he needs to get to vet immediately. If it was just one issue it might be able to wait for a day or so but, with both I would head to the ER vet. You also mentioned that he is "off his normal behavior" today, another reason to get to the vet.

Is he staying hydrated? Make him some chicken soup with a bit of pasta in it to keep him hydrated.

:nod

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

How is he doing?

Mary, mom to kitty Rebel.
Always missing Sherri (SO DELICIOUS) (12/6/2005-8/29/2018) kitties Marley (4/2000-12/3/2015) and Beady (4/1998-2/24/2006) and Dalmatian Daisy (7/25/1984-5/13/1999).

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work

and give to those who would not - Thomas Jefferson

How is he doing?

Thank you for asking. Akon is eating chicken and pasta and drinking as well. Much more his usual self. Stools are normal and no vomiting. Still will be bringing a stool sample and following up with my vet.

Barbara
Majestic and Ranger

Glad to hear he's feeling better and that the vet will check things out.

Mary, mom to kitty Rebel.
Always missing Sherri (SO DELICIOUS) (12/6/2005-8/29/2018) kitties Marley (4/2000-12/3/2015) and Beady (4/1998-2/24/2006) and Dalmatian Daisy (7/25/1984-5/13/1999).

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work

and give to those who would not - Thomas Jefferson

Good thoughts! Please let us know how you make out!

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Update on Akon. After some improvement the vomiting has returned. I see fragments of Carafate everywhere. CBC, Pancreatic enzymes and stool samples are pending. My other guy who had been just fine until now has some diarrhea. (stool sample pending on him too). If everything is neg tomorrow he'll go in for x-rays to r/o an obstruction. Both my vet and myself do not feel it's that but just to be safe. He's off the Carafate and soley on Pepcid. He received a shot of Cerenia (anti emetic) to shut down the vomiting.He is loving the boiled chicken however and I fear will never go back to kibble. I should add that he seems like his usual self in terms of his personality and energy. Hopefully I'll have some answers tomorrow.

Edited by riverbosun

Barbara
Majestic and Ranger

:( Hoping he is better soonest. The x-ray is a good idea, just in case. I cook for one of mine for other reasons -- takes a little time and $ but it's not as bad (in either respect) as most folks probably think.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

There's been some latest research showing that Pepcid can be rather ineffective and it's now more widely excepted that

Omeprazole (Prilosec) is the medication of choice.

Perhaps see how your Vet feels about that.

Also, You might want to dissolve the carafate in an oral syringe and administer it that way.

Sorry your houndie isn't feeling well. Keep us posted????

There's been some latest research showing that Pepcid can be rather ineffective and it's now more widely excepted that

Omeprazole (Prilosec) is the medication of choice.

Perhaps see how your Vet feels about that.

Also, You might want to dissolve the carafate in an oral syringe and administer it that way.

Sorry your houndie isn't feeling well. Keep us posted????

Thank you I will question her on that tomorrow when we talk. My friend use to administer the Carafate via syringe. It's tricky doing both b/c of the absorption issues with both (Pepcid and Carafate) and timing both to be on an empty stomach. Hopefully tomorrow I'll know more. I just feel for him. The interesting thing is that he hasn't lost any weight compared to last week when he went in for his dental.

Barbara
Majestic and Ranger

AFAIK it isn't that pepcid is ineffective, it's that it doesn't reduce acid as much as some of the other meds. Different mode of action. Also *more* effective in some conditions (certain types of ulcers IIRC), and fewer serious side effects / interactions with other medications.

You don't always want to reduce acid a lot -- reduce it too much, and you can't digest things.

All that said, if the med isn't working for its intended purpose, best try something else.

AFAIK it isn't that pepcid is ineffective, it's that it doesn't reduce acid as much as some of the other meds. Different mode of action. Also *more* effective in some conditions (certain types of ulcers IIRC), and fewer serious side effects / interactions with other medications.

You don't always want to reduce acid a lot -- reduce it too much, and you can't digest things.

All that said, if the med isn't working for its intended purpose, best try something else.

Perhaps I should have been more clear so I'm not always corrected-- I was referring to ulcers--geez.

:lol Didn't mean to be a shmoo, just didn't want everyone to rush out and buy a drug that might not suit their case (referring to general dog owning public, not OP).

Good luck. swoop did the puke up undigested food. Did blood work & he had pancreatitis. So even if blood work was already done betore blood work it may not have showed. swoops just came on. No change in diet or human food given

Cassie: Pikes Clara Bell Swoop: My Man Swoop

BRIDGE ANGELS Psi:WD'S Aleford 3/17/00-4/25/10 Snowman: Gable Snowman 1/9/96-2/14/08