Osteo Thread V

oh no :( checking in on Fritz too! :hope :hope

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

• Replies 948
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Checking on Fritz here too!!

Mom to Macho (JS XtremeMachine 1/12/2007 -8/17/2012 ... Gotcha day 9/2/2011. I miss you BigMan)
Moonbeam (Ninos Full Moon 11/1/2009, Gotcha day 9/2/2012), Hattie (Kiowa Hats Off 4/14/2011, Gotcha day 10/13/2012), Keiva (JS Igotyourbooty 1/12/2007, Gotcha Day 1/8/2014)
Jimmy (Blu Too James 06/26/2014, Gotcha day 09/12/2015)
, a shepard mix named Tista, some cats, and some reptiles.

I feel a little bit sheepish...it's his TOE (I think)! :blush

Yesterday he was having such a fit and was shaking ALL over...shoulder/upper leg muscle seemed unhappy. Of course I freak out. He was walking okay this morning but still seemed a bit sore so I gave him some tramadol before I went to work. I got home and he seemed okay, he was his usual rambunctious self though and went tearing out onto the porch before I could grab him, and he yelped. He went to the bathroom and then came in to the porch where he got excited about dinner and did his little pouncy move, and he cried and held up his leg. I felt all up and down his leg, squeezing the bone, with no response other than being a bit uncomfortable with being poked at. So I grabbed his foot to do some range of motion and he cried again-AH HA! The outer toe looks a little bit swollen, and below the first joint it seems a little more movable than normal and that's where he's upset if I squeeze.

So now...I'm off to pose a question about toes...for now I've padded the foot and have wrapped his foot up...not sure if this warrants a vet visit or not...

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Phew! Hopefully it's a quick healing toe problem !!!

Mom to Macho (JS XtremeMachine 1/12/2007 -8/17/2012 ... Gotcha day 9/2/2011. I miss you BigMan)
Moonbeam (Ninos Full Moon 11/1/2009, Gotcha day 9/2/2012), Hattie (Kiowa Hats Off 4/14/2011, Gotcha day 10/13/2012), Keiva (JS Igotyourbooty 1/12/2007, Gotcha Day 1/8/2014)

The fall weather today reminded me that we're drawing nearer to the 1 year anniversary of Pinky's diagnosis and subsequent amputation. On one hand it seems like it was a long time ago, and on the other hand it seems like it JUST happened.

Our group's reunion is on Saturday and Pinky will be there with the rest of my crew to visit with all of her old friends :)

September 7th marked her 10 month "ampiversary." :yay

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

Yay for Pinky!

And huge congratulations to Fed Ex on his upcoming 8th birthday!!! (and of course, UPS!) What birthday treats do you have lined up for them?? :chow

I'm actually starting to think that Twiggy will see her 8th birthday. A year ago, I was sure it wouldn't happen. If she continues to do well until October 21, she'll make it!

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

Is October 21st her birthday? That's the exact date that I came home from work to find Pinky limping. X-rays the 22nd, consult & FNA the 24th, surgery November 7th.

:yay FedEx and UPS!

Fritz's toe seems okay, thanks for asking! I have kept the foot wrapped, have changed the bandage a couple of times. He'll get another change on Saturday morning before we head out to the reunion. I want his foot protected for that. I'll probably leave it unwrapped starting Monday and he'll be remanded to the tiny yard so he can't run at all. Hopefully all will be well with time :goodluck

Glad Fritz is doing better and yay! for Pinky :)

hoping Ben and Tristan are doing well. :hope

thanks to everyone who gave so much support, love and prayers for Nube. I truly believe that's the reason we had a couple extra months with him (and I retained some tiny amount of sanity!).

I still can't put together his tribute, but I just want to let you know (because I'm the kind of person that has to know all the facts, good or bad, and I'm sure there's others like me!) --what happened was we had tenatively planned to let Nube go at 3pm on Wednesday. I had started him (one pill at 4pm on Tuesday) on mirtapazine and if it had helped we would have postponed letting him go. He had a nice night, Bruce actually carried him up so he could sleep with us both, in bed (which he hadn't done since we started sleeping downstairs with him) -- he snuggled SO much with us all night.

however, at around 4:15am, he woke us up in obvious distress. We got him downstairs, I called the E-vet -- thinking it was that serotonin syndrome thing from the combo of the mirtapazine and Tramadol -- but the vet there and we realized it was NOT that -- he was in obvious pain. We suspect he either fractured his leg or whatever was causing him to stop eating (suspecting cancer in the stomach area) got much worse. He kept vomiting, and panting and drooling PROFUSELY (he soaked two big bath towels). We tried to get his "emergency" hyrdomorphone in him, but he wouldn't eat anything. We pilled him, twice, but he threw up within 10 minutes after both times.

he finally settled down a tiny bit around 8am -- maybe some of the hydromorphone got in him -- and I called our vet to see if he could come out immediately instead of making Nube suffer until 3pm. We have the BEST vet -- Dr. Sutarik loves Nube like his own -- and he came out at 9:30am.

Nube's passing was the most peaceful of any baby we've had. We knew it was time. I feel bad that he had some pain at the end but honestly, if we had done it the day before I would have questioned it for the rest of my life.

hugs to everyone still fighting this monster -- hang tough.

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Yay for the good news!

((((hug Kim)))) thank you for telling us about Nube and how the decision came around. You did the best for him. And i am so thrilled your vet came out right away!!!

((((Kim and Bruce))))

God speed Nube. I'm sure you're running with the club at the Bridge and our Wonder too. It breaks my heart every time we lose one.

Update on Ben: We stopped the Palladia because he wasn't doing well and the vet wanted him off about a week before trying again at a lower dose. We left him off for about two weeks and he sprung back amazingly. Greeting everyone at the door every time, playing with toys, tail wagging and best of all the sparkle is back in his eyes with the joy of life. More like he was in 2011 before his January diagnosis. For now we are keeping him on the Pamidronate and he'll have another treatment the 26th. He is still taking Rimadyl and I will ask the vet if that possibly could be reduced or eliminated. 75 mg twice a day.

We're thinking to ask to have his blood work done to see, without chemo, if we can get him back on a raw dinner. He looks a little thinner. Scott thinks he's lost some muscle. He will be eleven the 29th of November..

Alice (missing 12/7/05), Wonder and Ben

Alice%20Sig.jpgWonder%20Prof%20Sig.JPGBen%20Sig.jpg

And our beloved Bridge Kids... Inky, Maui, Murphy, Ragamuffin, Della and Natalie

And huge congratulations to Fed Ex on his upcoming 8th birthday!!! (and of course, UPS!) What birthday treats do you have lined up for them?? :chow

I'm actually starting to think that Twiggy will see her 8th birthday. A year ago, I was sure it wouldn't happen. If she continues to do well until October 21, she'll make it!

We are all having lots of birthday Ice cream :) cheeseburgers too most likely :) I told FedX yesterday that it was NOT an option to make it to monday :)

I am sure Twiggy will make it to 8 with the fantastic care and obvious good luck she's having!

Glad to hear Ben is doing better off the palladia! :)

And last, but most certainly not least, i am so sorry to hear of Nube's passing, may you all have strength.

We're home from our reunion-Pinky dragged me all over the place visiting everyone :lol Beautiful day, lovely to see old friends and meet new friends as well :)

She's sacked out on the couch now. Whenever we're going somewhere fun it's like she can tell, and she refuses to lay down in the car because she has to stand up and look straight ahead out the front window. Doesn't seem to bother her at all, she never seems to really have any fatigue from standing :dunno She's such a goober :wub:

I am glad to hear of all the B-day's coming up for FexX, Pinky and Twiggy. It's amazing the brave souls these pups have and I wish they have many more.

Also very happy to read Ben is doing better!

And finally for Nube. Kim I am truly sorry. I find it so very hard to come in here of late but know that each one of these pups fighting this battle are so very special and that's why I hang around to cheer on the good days and to offer some support in the bad. You and Nube fought bravely, I wish you had more time with your boy and know you did right by him.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

I have posted so much here about Joe's battle with osteo. It seems right that I should share some good news. While I still cry for Joe almost daily, I have decided to open my heart to a little girl hound named Cuja. Here is a link to her introduction thread:

http://forum.greytal...a-gabe-red-hot/

Jane

Edited by joejoesmom

Oh Jane that's wonderful!

Fritz's foot is wrapped again <_< Guess it wasn't ready to be unwrapped yet-it swelled a bit and the inside of it is looking pretty bruised. Ace has a vet appt. on Friday-I'm going to call them tomorrow and see if Fritz can tag along for Dr. Bahns to have a look at it.

I have posted so much here about Joe's battle with osteo. It seems right that I should share some good news. While I still cry for Joe almost daily, I have decided to open my heart to a little girl hound named Cuja. Here is a link to her introduction thread:

http://forum.greytal...a-gabe-red-hot/

Jane

Congratulations! So happy to hear this news!

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Wow, go Pinky, Gia, Lucy, Twiggy and anyone else surviving in this battle!

I don't know that its okay to post but Guinness Xavier in Arizona was diagnosed with some form of cancer and it was advanced enough that they sent him on yesterday. It was a hard day on Facebook.

Hug your pups!!!! I am loving on my two very much!!!!!

Nice to see you too Kristin!

Who is going to GPA Wisconsin Gala on October 13th?????!!!!!!!!!

Edited by GreytHurleyDawg

Bow Wow Wow Yippie Yo Yippie Yay :)

Siggy4.jpg

Johanna with hounds: Woodie (Molly's Marvin) (Grenade X Kh Molly) and Petra (Make Her a Pet) (Dodgem By Design X Late Nite Oasis)

and forever missing Hurley (Jel Try Out) (Gable Dodge X Kings Teresa) with Kalapaki Beach in Kauai as the background

Jane, I am so, so happy that Cuja is there with you now. She sounds like a great little girl!

Pinky, keep it up, pretty girl! I'm glad you had such a good time at the reunion!

Twiggy & I will be going to the GPA-WI reunion on the 13th. Johanna, I hope to see you there! It will be Twiggy's 4th Gala, and her 2nd as a tripod. She may even repeat her historic Radar Run! Fastest greyhound on 3 legs (so far as I'm aware, anyway :P ). Gala will be 3 days shy of her 14-month ampuversary and 8 days before her 8th birthday, so it will definitely be a party for us. (And yes Kristin, her birthday is the 21st, so that day will be a milestone for both Pinky and Twiggy).

I am so grateful for each day that I have with Twiggy. I know so many, many people and their hounds (both here on GT and locally) who haven't been as fortunate as we have, and deserve to have had our good fortune. My heart truly goes out to each of you who have lost and continue to grieve your losses.

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

Oh DARN I wish I could make it up! I'll be in Schaumburg, IL until the 12th for work, but then I have to be home that night for our group's trivia night, and I just wouldn't be able to turn back around and drive to WI the next morning. Guess everyone is just going to have to be there next year! I'd love it if Pinky and Twiggy could run with each other!