Osteo Thread V

Good thoughts for FedX.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

• Replies 948
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have some Artemisinin if anyone is interested. I have one un-opened bottle and 3/4 of another. Both are 60 pill bottles so if anyone wants, please let me know and I can ship them to you.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Speaking of artemisinin, and I hate to do this because I feel I should be out there doing all the reading and research, but at the same time, I'm overwhelmed with everything that needs to be done before we leave on our vacation on Saturday (gahhhhhhhh!) - is there a direct link somewhere to the prevailing protocol the artemisinin group is recommending? Symbra needs to start it real soon, which means I need to be ordering stuff ASAP and ugh, I don't have the time to research right now... ugh. Thanks in advance.

Deanna with galgo Willow, greyhound Finn, and DH Brian
Remembering Marcus (11/16/93 - 11/16/05), Tyler (2/3/01 - 11/6/06), Frazzle (7/2/94 - 7/23/07), Carrie (5/8/96 - 2/24/09), Blitz (3/28/97 - 6/10/11), Symbra (12/30/02 - 7/16/13), Scarlett (10/10/02 - 08/31/13), Wren (5/25/01 - 5/19/14),  Rooster (3/7/07 - 8/28/18), Q (2008 - 8/31/19), and Momma Mia (2002 - 12/9/19).

Speaking of artemisinin, and I hate to do this because I feel I should be out there doing all the reading and research, but at the same time, I'm overwhelmed with everything that needs to be done before we leave on our vacation on Saturday (gahhhhhhhh!) - is there a direct link somewhere to the prevailing protocol the artemisinin group is recommending? Symbra needs to start it real soon, which means I need to be ordering stuff ASAP and ugh, I don't have the time to research right now... ugh. Thanks in advance.

PM me your email address and I'll send you the info as I'm about to send it to someone else anyway.

On that note, I guess I haven't mentioned that my good friend's dog Xander, who was my first foster dog ever was diagnosed with osteo recently. :( He also has a disc issue and is 12 years old so they are doing palliative care. Hate this fonting disease.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

I am so hoping that FedX's leg responds to the homeopathic treatment. He has been doing so well, I just want that to keep going!

Great news that Katie's leg is getting better, and most importantly NOT osteo!

Thanks for suggesting corns - I don't actually think that is the issue, but it wouldn't be the first time someone spent all kinds of money looking for limp causes when it was right there in the toes. I went back again and looked at her toes really closely, pressed them all in lots of different directions, checking for pain and/or hard spots, and didn't find anything. She also skips steps equally whether on soft surfaces (carpet/grass) or hard (tile/concrete). The groomer that does her nails each week is also good about letting me know if she sees anything odd, and since this has been going on for 4+months, I *think* that a corn would be visible by now. Her oncologist's office wants me to move up to gabapentin, and I have some on hand, but I really would like to know what the issue is before just masking it with meds. Of course, I want her to be comfortable, but I don't like this not knowing.

I'm very sorry to hear about Xander. One of my former fosters went through this as well. It's nearly as hard when a foster is dealing with this as it is with your own dog.

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

Guest snakes

Thanks for all your good thoughts guys! The swelling is better today, i wasn't sure if iit was my imagination or not, but it is definatly better. It isn't resovled fulyl thoguh. I am always amazed hwo well fedX responds to homeopathic remedies.

So we are still day by day but for now he continues on! with the same appetite too..... :)

:)

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Update on Ben

We've taken him off the Reglan for nausea about a week ago and his appetite is still strong. He had his last (sixth) chemo today and next week the pamidronate. The oncologist will also x-ray the hip and lungs to see what's going on. She was talking about putting him on Palladia. I called the insurance company to see if it's covered and it is.

He is currently taking 75 mg of Rimadyl twice a day. I was wondering if that is something we can cut back on or eliminate, depending of course how he's doing or is that something you never take away?

He is the first one at the kitchen door at meal times. The only thing he sleeps a lot more than usual. The oncologist said to wait a month and if he doesn't perk up after the chemo is finished to perhaps have his regular vet check his thyroid. He will be eleven in November so maybe he's earned a little extra nap time. :)

Alice (missing 12/7/05), Wonder and Ben

Alice%20Sig.jpgWonder%20Prof%20Sig.JPGBen%20Sig.jpg

And our beloved Bridge Kids... Inky, Maui, Murphy, Ragamuffin, Della and Natalie

Guest snakes

Yeah Ben :)

FedX's leg swelling from the vasculitis is all but gone now! he still needs a litte extra gabapentin but i'll try weaning him down. The nerves/muscles ect are probably just sore form all the swelling. Now if i could somehow convince him that trying to run is NOT a good idea......

:yay Ben & FedX.

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

That is such wonderful news about FedX and Ben.

Wendy, how is Twiggy doing? It was soooo nice to meet you and Twiggy at MH :). Seeing Twiggy it was hard to comprehend that she has osteo. Sure she's missing a leg and all, but she sure looked the picture of health.

Continued prayers and best wishes for all the hounds here.

Great news from Ben and FedX!!! :mexi2

Re: the Rimadyl, I think you may want to keep him on that. NSAIDs (at least a certain class of them, which included Rimadyl) is thought to have some anti-cancer properties. Apparently, oncologists started noticing that dogs who were on similar NSAIDs as part of palliative care had better outcomes than those that weren't taking them. I'm not sure anyone really understands the connection, but there seems to be one.

Let's continue the good news - Twiggy had a CT scan today (she had a bad day on Tuesday, and I decided I had to know what was going on in there). Yesterday she was better than Tues, and today she is back to normal, and her CT scan (at least according to the oncologist and orthopedic surgeon) looks clear. Hopefully the radiologist will agree. If so, that leaves some sort of soft tissue injury as the cause of her not wanting to use her left leg. Twiggy won't be happy, because she is to be kept quiet until it gets better - no 2-hour walks, no zoomies, limited stairs. This won't be easy, she's like a border collie in a greyhound suit. <_<

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

It's so hard to keep them quiet, but, if that's the worst thing she has to deal with, Wendy, I'd call that a win! :) I hope whatever is causing the issue will resolve so she can get back to her zoomies and walks :)

Pinky is doing really well on the Piroxicam/Cytoxan/artemisinin combo. She's fast approaching her 8 month ampiversary. Saturday morning is the Bark for Life event (like Relay for Life but for dogs!)...as long as its not too hot I'll be taking Pinky AND Ace. They are both such survivors I think it's important to celebrate that! Plus, they love all of the attention :)

Glad to be reading good news in here lately! :)

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

Re: the Rimadyl, I think you may want to keep him on that. NSAIDs (at least a certain class of them, which included Rimadyl) is thought to have some anti-cancer properties. Apparently, oncologists started noticing that dogs who were on similar NSAIDs as part of palliative care had better outcomes than those that weren't taking them. I'm not sure anyone really understands the connection, but there seems to be one.

Let's continue the good news - Twiggy had a CT scan today (she had a bad day on Tuesday, and I decided I had to know what was going on in there). Yesterday she was better than Tues, and today she is back to normal, and her CT scan (at least according to the oncologist and orthopedic surgeon) looks clear. Hopefully the radiologist will agree. If so, that leaves some sort of soft tissue injury as the cause of her not wanting to use her left leg. Twiggy won't be happy, because she is to be kept quiet until it gets better - no 2-hour walks, no zoomies, limited stairs. This won't be easy, she's like a border collie in a greyhound suit. <_<

Could you try acupuncture? Or possible chiropractic depending on the ultimate dx. I have to imagine that often having only 3 legs does cause some imbalance and can lead to muscle soreness, injury, etc. that those types of holistic treatments might address or prevent. Just a thought as I know what it's like to have a dog that needs to be rested that doesn't think she needs to ;)

That's good to know. We will definitely keep up his twice a day regimen. Thank you and thanks to all for the good thoughts. He didn't want to eat last night so went back on the Reglan and at 85% of his breakfast this morning. :yay

Alice (missing 12/7/05), Wonder and Ben

Alice%20Sig.jpgWonder%20Prof%20Sig.JPGBen%20Sig.jpg

And our beloved Bridge Kids... Inky, Maui, Murphy, Ragamuffin, Della and Natalie

A quick question. Does Dr. Couto do treatment consultations for non greyhound breeds?

I believe so Judy. Can't hurt to contact them anyway.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Kristin, I hope you Pinky and Ace have a wonderful time at Bark for Life tomorrow. The weather shouldn't be that different there than here, so you'll probably have a really nice day. You're right, just having to keep Twiggy quiet is definitely not a bad problem to have, especially considering that I was feeling really grim earlier in the week about her future!

Jen, our next step (assuming the radiologist's report doesn't hold any surprises) is to look into some combination of chiro, acupuncture, massage, and/or water therapy to help her get over her aches and pains. I had to laugh - I knew I was stealing my "border collie in a greyhound suit" phrase from someone - turns out it was you! (I modified it slightly, Twiggy is more border collie than lab lol).

Judy, I was so sad to hear about Bruiser's lab report. I know I've heard of Dr. Couto doing consults for other sighthounds and sighthound mixes, I don't recall for sure about other breeds, but I think so, and as Chris said, it can't hurt to ask.

Looks like it'll be between 73 and 80 degrees while we're there. It's down on the river too so there's always a nice breeze. I think the girls will enjoy it - it's time to break out their cute summer collars (pink corduroy with red cherries!).

A quick question. Does Dr. Couto do treatment consultations for non greyhound breeds?

I know he treats all breeds in person at OSU. I don't know if they have anything set up to do consults with non-grey owners over e-mail or the phone. My guess would be no, but this is just a guess. The funding for the email/phone consults for greyhounds would not cover a consult for a non-grey. But perhaps if you donated a reasonable consult fee to the program it could be worked out. In any case, Dr. Couto is out of the country right now. I'm not sure when he will be back.

Jane

edited to add: I know his oncology team does do some phone consults with local vets on non-greyhound issues.

Edited by joejoesmom

Chris, Wendy and Jane, thank you for your replies. Jane I questioned concerning the email consult because there was a block to fill in your greyhound's name. That kind of raised a red flag for me. Unless I change my mind we're going to start Doxyrubicin treatments on Tuesday, which frankly, reading what I have about it, scares the hell out of me. Given the grim prognosis of 2 months with splenectomy alone I don't feel I have much choice on whether to go the chemo route or not. I wanted to get him started on artemisinin, but I read last night that it can reduce the effectiveness of the Doxyrubicin. So, after the Doxyrubicin we will do the metronomic protocol at that point I will start him on artemisinin, Butyrate and Chinese herbals.

Kristin, I wanted to thank you also for your reply in my thread about Bruiser. I tried to pm you, but it wouldn't go through. I hope you and Pinky have a great time at the Relay today :).

Continued good wishes for everyone for many more quality days with your pups.

Judy, watch his surgical area closely as the chemo can delay healing. Doxyrubicin is scary if you read about it, but many dogs here have used it quite successfully. As long as your vet and techs are careful when administering it, Bruiser should be fine with it.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Judy, re: the doxorubicin, it is scary, and we used carboplatin for Twiggy instead, BUT, Twiggy's first oncologist told me there is an "antidote" for it should anything accidental happen with the iv. Also, it is less potentially-devastating for a non-greyhound (more tissue available where the iv is inserted), and also for a dog who has all four legs.

So, it sounds like this is the best choice for Bruiser; I would definitely go with it, and try not to worry too much. (easy to say, I know...)