Osteo Thread V

Good luck, Symbra!

Mom to Macho (JS XtremeMachine 1/12/2007 -8/17/2012 ... Gotcha day 9/2/2011. I miss you BigMan)
Moonbeam (Ninos Full Moon 11/1/2009, Gotcha day 9/2/2012), Hattie (Kiowa Hats Off 4/14/2011, Gotcha day 10/13/2012), Keiva (JS Igotyourbooty 1/12/2007, Gotcha Day 1/8/2014)
Jimmy (Blu Too James 06/26/2014, Gotcha day 09/12/2015)
, a shepard mix named Tista, some cats, and some reptiles.

• Replies 948
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm so sad to hear the news about Cash. I was hoping for something else.

Good luck to Symbra for clear x-rays tomorrow!

I'm very relieved to hear that Carrie just has some sort of soft tissue injury!

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

I spent the day at OSU with Maggie-Mae and Petey yesterday. Maggie was getting her 6 month check-up and having a lump looked at on her ear. Petey had a lump on his face that started developing after we got back from Mt. Hounds, so we were having it checked out too.

Well, we got good news all around!!

Maggie-Mae's lungs were clear! Also, the lump on her ear is nothing to worry about! Doesn't need to be removed or anything.

Petey's lump is a tooth root abscess. He is on antibiotics and Deramaxx right now and if it doesn't fix the problem he will need the tooth extracted. Hoping the meds solve the problem and it doesn't come back! Good news is it is not a tumor of any type!

The students were amazed at how great Maggie looks after almost 4 years. She is actually 3 years and 8 months post amp. At this point I would venture to say she has kicked cancer's butt!!! :kickbutt

Suzie Collins

Owner/Artist Skinny Hound Designs

Greyhound decals, magnets and signs.

Fur kids: Isabelle and Petey

I would say so! Go Maggie Mae! :yay How old was she when she had her amputation?

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

I would say so! Go Maggie Mae! :yay How old was she when she had her amputation?

Maggie-Mae was 6 years old when she had her amp. She turned 10 in May. :)

Oh God, That just brings tears of joy to my eyes.

The same for me!!! You go Maggie-Mae and keep kicking cancer's butt!

Jane

Maggie-Mae was 6 years old when she had her amp. She turned 10 in May. :)

Oh God, That just brings tears of joy to my eyes.

The same for me!!! You go Maggie-Mae and keep kicking cancer's butt!

Jane

GO MAGGIE-MAY!!!! so glad she is doing well. I sure loved meeting her a few years back in Michigan :kiss2

my condolences to all the people in this thread that have lost their dog to this horrible disease. I have many friends that all have lost at least one to it in the past few years.

sadly I have add Nube to this thread :cry1 I hope it's ok if I join in here?

I had prayed never to have to face this disease but unfortunately we are now. A few years ago, Nube would have been a great candidate for amputation -- great disposition and healthy -- but now, his back end is SO weak that he could not tolerate losing his front right leg :( I just purchased Artemisinin and hope to have it in a couple days, and we will try a low-carb diet and look into the pamidronate injections. I would do chemo but so far have been told they need to find out what kind of cancer before they can start, we're going to consult with the oncology team at one of the 2 VCA's in our area here to see what they can do.

Osteo SUCKS. :cry1

Edited by RaineysMom

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Yay! For Maggie-Mae!

*big hugs* to you RaineysMom. I really hate this disease and the heartbreak that comes from it.

Mom to Macho (JS XtremeMachine 1/12/2007 -8/17/2012 ... Gotcha day 9/2/2011. I miss you BigMan)
Moonbeam (Ninos Full Moon 11/1/2009, Gotcha day 9/2/2012), Hattie (Kiowa Hats Off 4/14/2011, Gotcha day 10/13/2012), Keiva (JS Igotyourbooty 1/12/2007, Gotcha Day 1/8/2014)

Kim,

Have you contacted OSU about sweet Nuber? I would think that they could advise on the chemo. I bet they would provide it at no charge, even though amputation is not an option. You could also look into radiation. This is what gave Joe a lot of relief when he developed a second primary tumor 18 months after his amputation.

Link to OSU:

https://greyhound.osu.edu/consultationservice/

Jane

Too many new diagnoses lately. :(

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

:yay Maggie-Mae!

I hope for Pinky to have such a great outcome!

Yes...the new diagnoses seem to come in waves :(

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Kim,

Have you contacted OSU about sweet Nuber? I would think that they could advise on the chemo. I bet they would provide it at no charge, even though amputation is not an option. You could also look into radiation. This is what gave Joe a lot of relief when he developed a second primary tumor 18 months after his amputation.

Link to OSU:

https://greyhound.os...ltationservice/

Jane

our regular vet (that took the x-rays) said that the oncology teams at the VCA's around here would most likely require a biopsy to find out what kind of cancer so they can target with the right chemo. We will make an appt. to see the one to see what they say.

I did reply back to Dr. Kellogg about chemo but have not heard back yet.

are chemo treatments with dogs as hard as they seem to be on humans? we don't want to reduce his quality of life with them only to get a few more weeks. IIRC dogs handle it a lot better than humans but my mind is swiss cheese right now.

:yay Maggie-Mae!

I hope for Pinky to have such a great outcome!

Yes...the new diagnoses seem to come in waves :(

sending prayers your Pinky has the same great outcome :)

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Yes, chemo is much easier for dogs than for humans. Dr. Couto explained it to me this way: In a human, the goal is to eradicate the cancer (or at least control it) for the rest of the human's natural life. This could be 30 or 40 years or even more. Humans can understand the long term picture so it is ethical to put them through heavy chemotherapy to try to ensure a long life. In dogs, the goal is to control the cancer for the rest of the dogs natural life, this could be 2 to 7 years. In addition, dogs can't understand that being sick now gives them a longer life. So veterinary oncologists give proportionately smaller doses of chemo (compared to human dosing). The goal is to keep cancer under control (not to eradicate it) while balancing the dogs quality of life. Because of this, most dogs experience few, if any side affects. Of course he didn't say it in exactly these words, but this is the gist of what he said.

Joe had some mild nausea (during the 3 months of IV doxorubicin, he refused to eat about 3 times) and some bouts of diarrhea (metronidazole took care of it). But he was a happy boy. OSU did tell me that Joe had more significant side affects than the average greyhound. Also, I will say that when they took him off the palladia metronomic protocol after he developed a second primary tumor, he brightened up some -- so it must have been affecting him a bit.

Jane

I've had a hard time posting since Sam's loss though i want you all to know that I lurk everyday, celebrate the good days, and cry with you on the bad days.

ever

We lived in a bubble up here. For about 5 years we lost very very few of the greys adotped by our group to osteo. Then it started. One here, then another, and still another. Even though I had read everything that I could about this horrible disease I was not any more prepared to face it personally. I was devastated when Suzy was diagnosed in late September of 2009 with osteo in her front shoulder - advanced so no options but to provide palliative. It tore at my heart to see the limp, but nothing could have prepared me for her loss in early November of 2009.

I knew that the beast was not done with me yet. With 10 greys in the house, only a matter of time before it reared its ugly head again. What I will never forgive myself for is that I knew, I KNEW Sam had osteo, despite being given a clean bill of health by the vet. I have some peace of mind in knowing, that right up until that horrid night, Sam was Sam and lived every moment to the fullest.

So still have 8 greys, and once again know in my heart that sooner or later I will be back here with you again, posting about another one that has developed a limp. But thanks to this thread, I know that there will be help, advice, support available when the time comes.

My heart goes out to all of you that are fighting the osteo beast. :grouphug

Deb, and da Croo
In my heart always, my Bridge Angels - Macavity, Tila the wannabe, Dexter, CDN Cold Snap (Candy), PC Herode Boy, WZ Moody, Poco Zinny, EM's Scully, Lonsome Billy, Lucas, Hurry Hannah, Daisy (Apache Blitz), Sadie (Kickapoo Kara), USS Maxi, Sam's Attaboy, Crystal Souza, Gifted Suzy, Zena, and Jetlag who never made it home.

http://www.northernskygreyhounds.com

Guest patterpaws

I think I will stick my toe in the water here, to say hi since I'm another new member to this wretched "club." Still coming to terms with the diagnosis and waiting to hear the results of my Tristan's lung xrays to find out if he's a candidate for amputation or not. Been reading these osteo threads and they've been immensely helpful, although very very sad too.

Wonderful news about Maggie, warms my heart! Go Maggie! :confetti

Djsgreys, I'm so sorry for your loss. :cry1 Poor Suzy and Sam. I hope the beast stays away for a long, long time!!!!

Sending lots of positive and healing thoughts to Nube too. Seems like we're just part of the latest wave of new members. :(

Kim, Pinky had carboplatin therapy and had zero side effects unless you count the couple of times we had to postpone her treatments because her white count was a little too low for Dr. T's liking. Jane explained the particulars above. She might have been tired the day of her chemo, but I believe that is more from our appointments interrupting her nap time at home :lol than anything to do with the actual chemo (side effects don't show up until at least the next day if not further out from the treatment from what I understand).

Angel Sutra was not a candidate for amputation, but we did the pamidronate infusions and those gave him a good amount of pain relief. I do not know if OSU was providing chemo in non-amputation cases at that time-but I was not aware of it if they were. Deramaxx did the most for him, tramadol made him restless. We didn't do gabapentin but knowing what I know now, we would have.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

So, have an odd question for those of you doing a metronomic protocol...Pinky has been on Piroxicam, Cytoxan, and artemisinin. Have any of you noticed some behavioral changes in your pups? Lately it seems Pinky is just weird. She won't come into the house from the screened-in porch until she knows I've put the little ones in their kennels if it's mealtime. At other times sometimes she'll charge into the house with everyone, sometimes she won't come in until everyone has moved through the kitchen. She seems a little bit antsy at times. When she comes in, she makes a beeline for the couch and then walks the length of it and hops straight from it to the love seat, which sits perpendicular to the couch (the love seat is her "kennel" - that's where she goes when I leave and she stands on the love seat to eat her meals too...when she actually had a crate many years ago it was in roughly the same location and she ate there and got her treats there)...I get that she likes the love seat, she always has, but demanding to eat there is relatively new-she used to just eat from a raised feeder. She has always gone there to receive her cookie when I leave though.

It's hard to put it into words-she has always been a bit of an odd duck, but, seems lately she's weirder. I considered maybe she slipped on the floor (ceramic tile) in the living room and is now afraid of the floor, so I put some mats down...they've made no difference in her weird behavior. It also seems like her "Rainman-ness" has increased somewhat. You know in the movie when a situation isn't quite right/consistent with a very strict plan, how Dustin Hoffman gets agitated/nervous? Stuff like that is happening. She is in no way in acute distress, but she is uncomfortable when something is the tiniest bit different. For example, her usual two beds were in the wash a couple of nights ago, so I put a bunch of comforters in my closet for her (that's where she sleeps). She is usually the FIRST one to run into the bedroom and lay down when I open the baby gate out of the living room. She ran in, saw that the bed was different, and then kind of stood shifting her weight back and forth, considering if it was okay or not to lay on the bed because it was different. I finally got her to lay down. The next night her regular beds were back in place and she ran in and plopped down like normal.

If she's just getting weirder, that's fine, it's a lovable kind of weird, but if there's something else going on that I can address for her, I'd like to do that. She's going to be due for some blood work here soon so I'll ask Dr. T too, but, wanted to ask here as well.

So so happy to read about Maggie May again doing so well!!! She is a brave soul and I wish her continued health forever. She just makes me smile and also brings tears to my eyes thinking about my boy Charlie who like so many dearly hoped he would follow in her footsteps.

Kim, so very sorry to read about Nube's diagnosis. This 'club' is great for those of us who have pups going through this and while it's a membership you never want, it's great to have others who understand, have experience and are here to listen as we fight for our pups.

Deb, I'm right there with you....just without my boys anymore. My wife Lynn is terrified to adopt another and have Osteo rear it's ugly head again. It's not for regretting a second of what we did for Charlie as he blossomed as a tripod and made us smile everyday with his antics. It's just the fear of a limp and the gut punch you receive when the vet tells you the diagnosis. I will hope that you never have another pup in your pack suffer from this disease as all we can do is hope and do as much possible for cancer research.

I very sorry to read of Tristan's diagnosis. You are in good company here and we all have gone down different paths when it comes to our pups so there is plenty of information and we are all willing to answer any questions or concerns you have.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Kristin, how old is she? Any chance fireworks made her nervous and this is just residual? If its not age related or something that scared her, I'd remove one thing at a time from her protocol and see if her behavior changes. Might actually try the Piroxicam first - upset stomachs can cause really odd behavior believe it or not.

I have noticed that if we have storms coming in Macho gets very lethargic. He won't really want to eat, and doesn't want to go very far outside. Living in Florida, we are prone to afternoon storms especially at this time of year.

I have been able to (over the last week and a half) reduce his tramadol down to 1 twice a day, and 1 rimadol twice a day as well, in addition to his herbs (boswellia and yucca), etc.

My question is, any advice for these times when the storms are going to come rolling in? The last two afternoons have been hard on him. This morning, with no storms yet in sight, he was ready to go! We pigged out for breakfast, we went on two walks, had normal poo, and were very alert and energetic.

We have a friend coming over every mid day during the week since my work is too far to do on my lunch :( .. so if it's something I could have Macho take with lunch on days we have a high chance of thunderstorms coming in, I can do that too. Just want to make the baby comfortable.