Osteo Thread V

I miss him so much. You know.

I am so sorry for your loss of Thalion. :grouphug This disease just doesn't play fair.

Thank you for posting that great photo of Twiggy! Would it be all right if I saved it?

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

• Replies 948
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest tmgukcatfan

I miss him so much. You know.

I am so sorry for your loss of Thalion. :grouphug This disease just doesn't play fair.

Thank you for posting that great photo of Twiggy! Would it be all right if I saved it?

Please do save it! I'm so glad to have met you and Twiggy.

That is a great costume Wendy. Twiggy rocks in my book.

I am very sorry to hear of Thalion's passing, each and every one of these pups are so special and those battling this disease are even more so.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Sorry I haven't been posting. I am still grieving losing Joe. It is hard to believe it has already been almost two months. I still expect him to come up to me at bedtime for some ear scritches. He would always jump up from his bed and run to mine as if he had almost forgotten our evening ritual: run to mom's bed, push my nose into her face, get scritches for as many minutes as I can, walk back to bed, fluff the bed (with just one front leg), and settle down with a sigh. Oh how I miss that boy!

Twiggy's costume ROCKS!

On a sad note: I am so sorry to hear about Thalion. I truly understand what a loss it is.

On a much happier note: A friend of mine from Wisconsin got a job at OSU. She is going to be the new vet tech for the Blood Donation Program. She will likely also help out in the Greyhound Health and Wellness Program from time to time. She and her two greyhounds will be living with me for a while, until she gets on her feet here in Ohio.

Jane

Sorry I haven't been posting. I am still grieving losing Joe. It is hard to believe it has already been almost two months. I still expect him to come up to me at bedtime for some ear scritches. He would always jump up from his bed and run to mine as if he had almost forgotten our evening ritual: run to mom's bed, push my nose into her face, get scritches for as many minutes as I can, walk back to bed, fluff the bed (with just one front leg), and settle down with a sigh. Oh how I miss that boy!

Twiggy's costume ROCKS!

On a sad note: I am so sorry to hear about Thalion. I truly understand what a loss it is.

On a much happier note: A friend of mine from Wisconsin got a job at OSU. She is going to be the new vet tech for the Blood Donation Program. She will likely also help out in the Greyhound Health and Wellness Program from time to time. She and her two greyhounds will be living with me for a while, until she gets on her feet here in Ohio.

Jane

Heh Jane good to hear from you- sorry your still hurting- I totally understand as I share in your grief. My my Kate terribly.

Is this friend the woman we met at dinner after the conference last year? Tattoo's mom? Tell her congrats! She landed my dream job!!

Tracy

Twiggy's costume ROCKS!

Jane

Jane - Twiggy has exactly the same bedtime routine as Joe's. I can imagine how much you miss it.

I am very happy to hear about our mutual friend! I'm sure it will be good for both of you for her and her pups to stay with you for a while.

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

Twiggy's costume ROCKS!

Jane

Heh Jane good to hear from you- sorry your still hurting- I totally understand as I share in your grief. My my Kate terribly.

Is this friend the woman we met at dinner after the conference last year? Tattoo's mom? Tell her congrats! She landed my dream job!!

Tracy

Yes, the same one.

Twiggy is a genius! So funny! I can't wait to share with my husband!

I am very sorry to hear about Thalion. Another angel gets their wings.

Hurley was in my thoughts for most of the night tonight. I miss him very much but I feel lucky to have his two housemates happy and healthy and here with me. They may not snuggle with me or demand my attention but they love it here and we love them. Hurley had a very similar bedtime routine before his amputation: he would stand next to the bed and shake his butt if I scratched it. He would nuzzle or maybe I'd call it snuffle my face with his nose. He modified it a bit after his amp because he no longer had free access to our upstairs bedroom. But he was always so strong for me afterwards. My husband and I were talking about it and I asked if he felt that I monopolized his affections. He said possibly but I told him he felt like that before Hurley ever got sick so I didn't know why it mattered. I just enjoyed being with him every single second I could. And I know Hurley loved Jim: I saw it all the time! He really was special and I'm starting to feel that he is 'with' me in a sense.

Sorry to bring on the sad! I have a hard time dealing with other people's sadness but it seems like most people do reach out to people who ate sad. Perhaps another lesson I could learn.

My rant now is that it would have been his 9th birthday on the 24th i I hot one

So I got one email wish and one $5 coupon for his birthday. It's kind of like rubbing salt on the wound!

Bow Wow Wow Yippie Yo Yippie Yay :)

Siggy4.jpg

Johanna with hounds: Woodie (Molly's Marvin) (Grenade X Kh Molly) and Petra (Make Her a Pet) (Dodgem By Design X Late Nite Oasis)

and forever missing Hurley (Jel Try Out) (Gable Dodge X Kings Teresa) with Kalapaki Beach in Kauai as the background

Twiggy's costume ROCKS!

Jane

Tell her Wisconsin (and Gia and Po'boy!) miss her! I'm sorry you're still hurting so deeply for Joe. I understand.

Guest snakes

To start, FedX is doing well and keeps cruising along! :) So don't worry :)

So yesterday i made a hard decision. I recently had that consult at Angell so that we would be set up for future pamidronate treatments and to get thier opinion on his treatments. As a result of that I received a quote for the infusion which including the bloodwork came back at about $520. The previous place we went was $400 which was a stretch but do-able. So I have had to decide that this is the point where I can no longer continue with future pamidronate treatments for him. I hate to have to make that decision, especially sicne when he is hurting the treatments help him immensely, but I jsut couldn't stretch my budget to accomodate the price anymore without compromising my long term financial stability and the healthcare of UPS and myself.

I onyl relay this ifno as support to anyone else who may be facing these horribel decisions to let you know you aren't alone!

It is a horrible decision to have to make but unfortunatly it has to be. I am sure in the future I will have more 'what if's' and 'well maybe's' but overall i know this is the right decision.

He is doing well right now and I just wish every day to lead to another! All the more reason to look forward to our vacation with him to Grapehounds! :) I've been so lucky I have had all this time and will have more with him, he's my littel energizer greyhound :)

I'm sorry you've been forced to make this decision. None of us should ever have to decide this way. At one point, there was a bill in Washington to make veterinary payments be tax deductible. The bill failed. Another thing Washington didn't get right.

Last year, when Jacey was so ill, I paid her vet bills with the money I'd put aside to pay my 2011 taxes. I thought VPI would cover more of her bills than they did. (They paid less than $.25 on the dollar.) I still owe the IRS (just got off the phone with them, in fact), and the 2011 taxes, interest, and penalties will be paid over the next few months (at which time I can start saving to pay 2012 taxes).

Sam now is elderly--and ailing. For his own sake, as well as my wallet's, I won't be putting him through any extraordinary veterinary procedures. But Silver is only 7 years old, and she has enough health complications that she's pretty much un-insurable, even if I had the money for premiums. I've told her to stay well, because mom has nothing left in the savings account and can't afford to go to extremes--much as I love her. I hate this.

But we need to not beat ourselves up when we are forced to make these decisions. Spending that much money on Jacey has impaired my ability to pay big bills for Sam and Silver. A kinder fate wouldn't force us to choose between one pet and another--or choose between our pets and our finances. And a wiser Congress would give pet owners some relief.

I hope FedX continues to do well and you have lots more time with him.

Edited by KF_in_Georgia

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

I've been "dealing" with an osteo greyhound this week, through my job. Beijing's a month older than Symbra, and from the same adoption group. She had a probable osteo dx via radiographs on Monday at the emergency hospital, and was brought in for a consultation at "my" clinic today. I had talked to Beijing's mom on the phone for 20 minutes on Tuesday, and they changed their appointment to earlier today specifically so that they would be there before my shift ended, so they could talk to me some more. When I saw her, it was immediately obvious that she was in a great deal of pain, even with a mix of Rimadyl, Tramadol, and gabapentin on board. Since they were not interested in pursuing amputation due to several understandable reasons, the decision they made to let her go today was definitely the right one.

RIP Beijing, a beautiful, gentle dark brindle girlie.

Deanna with galgo Willow, greyhound Finn, and DH Brian
Remembering Marcus (11/16/93 - 11/16/05), Tyler (2/3/01 - 11/6/06), Frazzle (7/2/94 - 7/23/07), Carrie (5/8/96 - 2/24/09), Blitz (3/28/97 - 6/10/11), Symbra (12/30/02 - 7/16/13), Scarlett (10/10/02 - 08/31/13), Wren (5/25/01 - 5/19/14),  Rooster (3/7/07 - 8/28/18), Q (2008 - 8/31/19), and Momma Mia (2002 - 12/9/19).

Guest azlorenz

Requesting a few prayers if y'all can spare some. I had noticed Katie just wasn't herself the last few days but couldn't put my finger on it. This morning I know. When she got up with me she limped just a few steps. We got in the light and her ankle is swelled. Having been down the osteo trail before of course my heart sank and i assume the worst. I've sent pics to our vet and am calling as soon as they open. Flash was diagnosed July 2010. I pray this isn't happening again.

Wendy, I have a pic of twiggy running http://forum.greytal...3/page__st__360 posted in this thread. It's not a very good pic but it is editable.

Edited by greytpups

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Jane, I totally understand where you are and how you feel. It's really hard to have fought so long and lose a pup to this horrid disease. One feels lost without having to 'nurse' your Grey.

Johanna, I'm sure you're missing Hurley badly. Similar to you, Charlie has been on my mind a lot the past few days, especially at night. There is no easy way to cope with grief but like you I am so glad Charlie was my boy.

Deanna, sorry to read about Bejing. Another beautlful pup taken too soon.

Requesting a few prayers if y'all can spare some. I had noticed Katie just wasn't herself the last few days but couldn't put my finger on it. This morning I know. When she got up with me she limped just a few steps. We got in the light and her ankle is swelled. Having been down the osteo trail before of course my heart sank and i assume the worst. I've sent pics to our vet and am calling as soon as they open. Flash was diagnosed July 2010. I pray this isn't happening again.

Shannon, good thought for you and Katie. I truly hope it's not what you are fearing and hope you can get in for x-rays. I have a huge fear of having to join this club again and it's one reason why we have not adopted again. Both DW and myself feel robbed of our beautiful boy and truly wish he was still with us for a couple more years. Please keep us updated on Katie.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

I'm sorry the pain is still so raw, Kyle, Johanna, and Jane, and everyone hurting from their losses. I am sorry to hear of Beijing as well.

Shannon, I hope Katie's limping isn't as frightening as it seems. I can't imagine how you feel right now.

Jan, thank you for that picture! That's the one you showed me right after she ran, I think. I love it - it really shows her joy in running.

Twiggy is only using her left leg about every other step, but it was re-xrayed this week (and pelvis), and nothing shows up (1st xrays were 3 months ago). Hopefully, that confirms no cancer - I would think osteo in that leg would show up on xray after 3+ months of limping. Her onco says "some greyhounds just get like that" and not to worry. That's the first thing he said that I really don't agree with. Something is going on, we just don't know what. The orthopedic surgeon also looked at her and said everything seems fine, no LS, no muscle wasting, just skipping steps. I asked about acupuncture and/or chiro, and they thought that would be fine, so I'll probably make some calls about that next week. I wish they had xrayed her spine, too - then I think I'd have a little more peace of mind.

Twiggy is only using her left leg about every other step, but it was re-xrayed this week (and pelvis), and nothing shows up (1st xrays were 3 months ago). Hopefully, that confirms no cancer - I would think osteo in that leg would show up on xray after 3+ months of limping. Her onco says "some greyhounds just get like that" and not to worry. That's the first thing he said that I really don't agree with. Something is going on, we just don't know what. The orthopedic surgeon also looked at her and said everything seems fine, no LS, no muscle wasting, just skipping steps. I asked about acupuncture and/or chiro, and they thought that would be fine, so I'll probably make some calls about that next week. I wish they had xrayed her spine, too - then I think I'd have a little more peace of mind.

Just throwing this out there....does she possibly have a corn? Petey was limping and we took him to OSU and Dr. Dyce was able to confirm a corn. So small we could hardly even see it but enough to be painful for him.

Hoping it really is nothing. Hugs for Twiggy!

Suzie Collins

Owner/Artist Skinny Hound Designs

Greyhound decals, magnets and signs.

Fur kids: Isabelle and Petey

A good canine massage therapist could help as well. Keeps all those overworked muscles loose and working easily. {{{HUGS}}}

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest azlorenz

What a bad time for Greytalk to be offline! Katie is doing good. By the time I got her to the vet it had blown up HUGE. Sent Doc a picture at 3am and I got her into the clinic by 7:30am our time. They immediately put it on ice fearing it was going to cut off the circulation to her foot but the ice pretty much did nothing. X-rays all turned out normal (WHEW) so gave her a rescue shot of steriod and it finally started to go down. She is on pred and it looks so much better today. Our vet pretty much knew it was a bite reaction when she saw how much it had swelled from 3am to 7:30am. Still have no idea what bit her or where. Just glad it is better. Thank you all for your prayers - they were greatly appreciated. I always get a bit nervous and jumpy this time of year as I am sure you can all relate. Keeping you all in my thoughts and prayers always.

So glad that's all it was! :yay

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest snakes

So last ngiht we all went to bed and everything was good, this morning I woke up and FedX wouldn't put any weight on his leg and it was a tiny bit swollen. Well throughout the day his leg has kept swelling, it is soft and part of it is fluid becasue it is squishy. I am going to call the vet first thing in the morning and get him in. I am hoping it is just Lyme like UPS, but the reality of it is that this may be the end. I won't know until tomorrow. I'll of course update with whatever happens but please think good pain relieving and swelling reducing thoughts for my boy regardless of the outcome. As always he's been a trooper wanting all his meals and treats!

:grouphug:goodluck

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Guest snakes

So we went to the vet this morning, he thinks FedX has vasculitis. Why we don't know, he seems to think it is just a natural progression of the OS. We are going to give a homeopathic remedy a try and if nothing is better within 2 days then it is probably time....

So it is jsut wait and watch, i'm icing the leg at home as well and keeping up on pain meds to help him.

FedX :hope:goodluck

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Thinking good thoughts for you and FedEx. :grouphug

Valerie w/ Cash (CashforClunkers) & Lucy (Racing School Dropout)
Missing our gorgeous Miss
Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.