Osteo Thread V

We used the same drugs as Kristen but our schedule was artemisinin every morning, and piroxicam/cytoxan every other day at dinner.

The artemisinin needs a high fat content food to properly absorb, but iron (such as in meat) inhibits it's absorption. So peanut or other nut butters are better than meat. Our vet also said no Pill Pockets. And it has to be taken an hour before other food.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

• Replies 948
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The last pamidronate treatment FedX had ended up witha skin tear that he made a lot worse by licking, took us 2.5 weeks to fully heal. I had noticed on previous visits the shaved area bothered him. I have an all natural pet skin moiturizing spray that i'd spritz him with and that seemed to help, i got it at PetCo. I also foudn that baby socks with teh feet cut off make good leggings to stop licking :)

Good ideas. Thank you. This time they put some anti-itch powder on the new area they used yesterday, but it didn't stay on for long. We will get some spray.

Alice (missing 12/7/05), Wonder and Ben

Alice%20Sig.jpgWonder%20Prof%20Sig.JPGBen%20Sig.jpg

And our beloved Bridge Kids... Inky, Maui, Murphy, Ragamuffin, Della and Natalie

Guest kellygreyhound

:beatheart yay Fedex!!!!!!

I must say as someone with a dog with a more recent osteo diagnosis, it really warms my heart to hear about other greyhounds doing so well so many months out :D

Who wrote the article that Charlie's Dad brought up? I think greysmom summed it up best--I certainly wouldn't want a vet with the attitude the essay writer had. I personally want all the information possible for any health issue with my dog and then I'll make my decision based on what I know about my dog and my situation.

Hey all! I heard that our very own TWIGGY won the costume contest at Mountain Hounds this year!!!

She had a camera strappedto her head and was - A TRIPOD!!!! Get it? :rotfl

I think we need pictures!!!!!!!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest snakes

A bit scary here this week. FedX is doing wonderfully, but UPS his littermate started limping on her hind leg (saturday night of course!)! Anyway we went to the vet yesterday and xray the foot (taht is where she was tender) and took blood. Turns out it is "only" Lyme disease! :bow2 never thought i'd be happy to have a lyme disease diagnosis!

Edited by snakes

Hey all! I heard that our very own TWIGGY won the costume contest at Mountain Hounds this year!!!

That is awesome! We definitely need photos. :lol

And :clap for lyme disease. I totally understand what you mean by "only". Glad FedEx is still going strong. I'm looking forward to meeting him (and of course you :P) at Grapehounds. :)

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

We were at Mt. Hounds but missed the costume contest. I know Twiggy's Mom was not able to get photos but I am sure someone had to! I really want to see it too!

Maggie-Mae had a greyt time at Mountain Hounds! She got to meet and hang out with Twiggy on Saturday by the campfire. They had a senior run set up so they could romp and play without getting knocked over. Maggie-Mae enjoyed her play time!

539917_10150809492131653_1559177849_n.jpg

She was running along the fence line and teasing the younger ones! :D

181870_10150809492231653_236457731_n.jpg

This photo tells it all...she is one happy girlie, lovin' life! Three legs hasn't slowed her down....

600955_10150809492301653_1879752805_n.jpg

My pretty girl....

522338_10150809492441653_1280435579_n.jpg

Every day we have with her is a blessing...and so far it has been a 3 year and 6 month blessing! :wub:

Edited by greytdecals

Suzie Collins

Owner/Artist Skinny Hound Designs

Greyhound decals, magnets and signs.

Fur kids: Isabelle and Petey

:wub: She is just having a ball!

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Sorry I've been awol for a while!

To Gia's family - the scariest drug frequently involved in a metronomic protocol is Palladia. It is also thought to be the next big thing in osteo treatment (at least by T's oncologist, who was involved in the initial research). Twiggy was not able to tolerate it, but her reaction was much worse than most. For NSAID, her onco prefers Metacam over the others, but piroxicam and rimadyl are also very frequently used. Now that Twiggy is just on Metacam and artemisinin, she has no side effects whatsoever. Cytoxan isn't supposed to have a very significant side effect profile - we may restart that soon. You'll probably continue relatively frequent bloodwork at first (approx every 3 weeks) for a couple months, but then the appointments can spread out, and you'll probably want to do chest x-rays every 3 months or so.

I am so glad UPS "only" has lyme disease! This is a strange world when that is good news - but we'll take it!

Maggie-Mae is just amazing, I love the photos of her! I am so glad I got to meet her, you and the rest of your family (and you're lucky I didn't steal Petey B) )

I'm still working on photos from MH, and will post some in a day or so, prob in C&F. I am proof that having a decent camera does not a good photographer make! I got a decent dslr a few weeks ago, and have no idea what I'm doing - the photos show it!

Twiggy had the time of her life at MH. She was on the go at least 10 hours a day for 4 days straight. At the end, she ran comparably well with the 4-legged young hounds, and both yesterday and today back at home, she still wanted to go for her hour-long walks!

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

I told Silver's vet about Twiggy's costume for Mountain Hounds. It gave him a good laugh on what was being a bad day for him.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Guest snakes

That is awesome! We definitely need photos. :lol

And :clap for lyme disease. I totally understand what you mean by "only". Glad FedEx is still going strong. I'm looking forward to meeting him (and of course you :P) at Grapehounds. :)

I second the need for the 'tripod' photo, that was a great idea :)

FedX and I are really looking forward to Grapehounds and meeting all the cyber friends! :)

You Go Maggie Mae, what a fun time you had, and over 3 years! Fantastic!

Symbra had her fifth and final chemo treatment on Tuesday. They want to see some kidney values/urine specific gravity and chest rads in about a month from now.

Now we need to decide what protocol we're going to follow with her.

Deanna with galgo Willow, greyhound Finn, and DH Brian
Remembering Marcus (11/16/93 - 11/16/05), Tyler (2/3/01 - 11/6/06), Frazzle (7/2/94 - 7/23/07), Carrie (5/8/96 - 2/24/09), Blitz (3/28/97 - 6/10/11), Symbra (12/30/02 - 7/16/13), Scarlett (10/10/02 - 08/31/13), Wren (5/25/01 - 5/19/14),  Rooster (3/7/07 - 8/28/18), Q (2008 - 8/31/19), and Momma Mia (2002 - 12/9/19).

I just saw a photo of Twiggy's costume on FB!! Love it!!

Please steal it and post it here!

Glad Twiggy had so much fun at MH!

And go Maggie Mae!

And :clap for Symbra finishing her chemo.

I would really encourage those of you who are considering arteminisin as part of your follow-up protocol to consider going with what the yahoo group recommends, rather than the lower dose of just arte that OSU recommends. I don't see a lot of discussion about it on here, maybe because people are typically using it as part of a follow-up protocol and not as holistic treatment like I was, but I think there's good evidence to support using it and there is certainly evidence that higher doses and a combination of arte & its derivatives is safe and likely to be more effective. My two cents from the peanut gallery. :)

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

:lol That is awesome!

Whoo Symbra! Congratulations on graduating from iv chemo!!! Anything special on the menu for dinner tonight?

Suzie - Thank you for snagging those photos and posting them. I don't have a facebook acct, so I couldn't see them. I'm such a doofus for not taking any pictures of her in that myself. It's not like I didn't have multiple cameras hanging around my neck!

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

Love the Twiggy photo!

:yay Symbra!

Pinky is about due to have some bloodwork and a UA to make sure she's ok on our protocol.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Guest tmgukcatfan

246480_3708036613960_475325184_n.jpg

Here's one of Twiggy strutting her stuff! She sure did make me smile. Having lost my "tripod" on May 7 it made me happy to see another doing so well. Twiggy is amazing.

Sam the whippet and Rosie's mom with Thalion watching from the Bridge